Thursday, April 29, 2010

sew and sew


WARNING ! WARNING! IF YOU SEW EVEN A LITTLE THIS COULD BE UGLY! I can not sew much, a straight line is about it. And the sewing machine is at least 30 years old and the seamstress is even older. I bought 4 panels of curtains at a thrift store ($4.oo) well they were to short so I did this. Made tabs to make the length longer. Now before you cry out in pain they will be hidden. I cut the tops of the other two panels and made a valance. Now when you stand back they look good. (really far back) But I love the fabric. I do not believe it is vintage but I do think it is a reprint of a vintage floral. It screams summer and gives my dining room a little summer spark. I have some fabric left over so I am going to make a couple of pillows to go on this bench.

I made this bench can you guess out of what?



The most expensive part was the high density foam I had to buy. I would chose a different fabric if I had it to do over again. It is a deep red and does go with the curtains and the curtains in the living room. Do you have any idea what it is made from? think dump?

Ok I will tell you, it was an oak coffee table. I think it was owned by a college kid, there were things carved right in the wood. The dump guy couldn't believe I wanted it. Because if you were going to use it for a table it was ruined. But it is sturdy and heavy enough to sit on.
I now have several friends who are looking for an old coffee table to do the same thing.

My day off was great I went to a rummage sale and thrift stores I will share the rest later as most need some tweaking.

1 comment:

lace & arsenic said...

i came to SPY on what u found at the sale!...i thought of u! hope u got fun/good stuff u can create something wonderful with! (im sure u will!)..i so agree! the bench is awesome! and ur sewing skills are good!