Sunday, October 1, 2023

Shinrin-yorku



"Forest Bathing" I have mentioned that before, but I have been taking a second look into it. 

It is not simply a walk in the woods it is a conscious and contemplative practice of immersed in the sights, sounds, and smells of the forest. You should try to take 20 minutes a day and just sit, walk or just stand and enjoy the forest. This is not a new idea it goes back many hundreds of years in Japan used in a few different religions. I know not everyone has access to a forest but a park or a tree in the back yard will do. I do feel so much better when I take my daily walks on a wooded road. No earbuds no phone just be in the moment. With the darkness coming in earlier each day this is a good way to relax and embrace the season. 

The fall colors are slow in showing up but after the past few days I have seen more and more color. 

A new recipe apple cake. It is very tasty. 
One layer so not a huge cake to figure out what to do with.
and only 3 apples. 

I need to up my intake of water I haven't been very good about it.
I am drinking other things like juice or tonic water.  

One of my biggest issues is making sure I come up with a little something different for dinner each night. I hadn't made Shepard's pie in a very long time it was a nice change. 
I am still plugging along on the appliqué quilt I believe this is block #8

And last but not least the smallest bathroom that took the longest time ever! is done!! We added the shower and spruced up the rest. 
We added the shower to have a full bathroom on the main floor in case one of us cannot make the stairs at some point. (aging in place)
I am happy with the results and very happy that it is done. 
Have a wonderful week

13 comments:

Boud said...

I always like walking on grass, by the belt of trees that separates this development from the county golf course. Birds, fungi, old and lovely trees, like visiting friends each day. I agree with this concept.

Years ago I used to walk listening to music or a book, but thought I was missing too much, and for a long time now I've just walked, noticed so much more. I try to avoid walking in sidewalks, not friendly.

Marie Smith said...

Forest bathing is a wonderful idea. It is good for 5e spirit!

Rugs and Pugs said...

So do you forest bathe in the nude...lol?
Congrats on the progress on your Maggie B applique.
Woo hoo...bathroom looks great and I am sure you are so happy to have it done.

Deb J. in Utah said...

Spending time out in nature every day is important. I love walking outside. It is my favorite part of the day. The bathroom looks great. Our downstairs bathroom will be complete after the electrician (hopefully) comes on Tuesday to finish the lighting. I hope you have a great week.

Julia said...

I like walking on the river beach but lately, the water level has been too high to walk on the beach. It always makes me marvel at the beauty of creation.

Your food always looks good. I love apple cake and Shepherd's pie. I didn't pick any apples this fall so I'll have to buy some that have already been picked. I always buy too many when I pick them myself.

Your bathroom looks really nice. You won't have to walk so far to the bathroom now and you can save those steps for the wood. lol...
Enjoy the nice weather.

Hugs, Julia

Prims By The Water said...

We love our walk in shower. Getting older we did think about having to walk into a rub for our shower. So glad we got rid of the tub. I live near some woods, so I often just sit out in my backyard and listen to the sounds. Please share your apple cake recipe. Sounds delish and apples are in season now. Janice

TheCrankyCrow said...

I guess I am cut from a different cloth as I don't know how you CAN'T become immersed in a forest or wood when you are there. Perhaps because I spent my childhood in on whenever weather permitted. Like being in a cemetery, I lose track of time and the outside world. Yummy foodstuff. I wish I cooked/baked for more than one. I love cooking and baking but get tired of what I've made by the time its done. Yes, I freeze things, but it is not the same. Yay on the bath redo. Looks great! ~Robin~

Hill Top Post said...

I love my walks through the woods. It’s a great way to start the day out to end it. I love your applique on the dark background.

Mary, Windy Meadows Farm said...

It sounds so nice...we all need that quiet time to just "be". Thanks for the reminder. And the shepard's pie looks delicious!

acorn hollow said...

I just think the change if seasons especially into winter a lit if us feel unsettled. A good stroll in the woods helps.
Thanks for visiting

acorn hollow said...

I do think it is good for the soul

yaya said...

The bath looks great! We just got our upstairs bath a new tub/shower combo and will be getting the rest spruced up also. We have a half bath on the first floor and have talked about how to get a shower in there as well. Yours looks great and gives me hope we can do the same! Your cake looks delish as well as the Shepard's pie. I just got back from a walk in the cemetery. Even after a hard day at work it refreshes and feels good to be outdoors. Our Creepy Woods is a favorite walking spot but right now the mosquitoes are a bit too much. Hopefully the cool weather coming will deter them!

Jeanie said...

Our colors feel slow, too. I like the idea of forest bathing. And well done with the bathroom!