Wednesday, October 25, 2023

Rug School

I was able to attend a 3 day rug school in my area. My teacher was Michelle Palmer from NY. I can not say enough good things about her. She truly is the best teacher I have ever had!! She taught the class she didn't just run around color planning. I learned more from her than I have the past two decades. And she is booked at other camps until 2027 and I understand why but it also means she will not be back to this school ugg. 
This is one of her rugs and I fell in love with it and yes I ordered the pattern. My deal with myself to not purchase any more patterns when right out the winter when I saw her work!!! 

I  also fell in love with this one and you guessed it I ordered that too.

Her hand drawn label on that rug !!!

This post is all about her and her rugs the next post will be what was being worked on and what was in the rug show. 
This rug is so darling and has so much detail. 

She has a way of doing letters she raises them just a hair above the background and she is dead set against black she thinks it causes a hole effect she really is not wrong. 

These donkeys are just darling. She does not sell wool and when she sets up to teach she took a round table and made like a color wheel of strips of wool and that is her gift to you. They are free! to her students. No teacher has ever done that before. 

You get a welcome packet with your name in script and a package of her hand drawn note cards! 
She left the word butter in black so you could see that your eye is drawn to that and not the rug as a whole. 

And she had about 15 more rugs she would teach with or throw down amazing! Her punch needle is like nothing I have seen it is like velvet. 

And since I will be doing crows I took pictures of all her crows.


It is never just black. I could go on for pages and in the interest of not boring you I will not. 

So I will end with my rug I really did finish it at the hook in.
She changed the pattern a bit and made it not so heavy. And took me way outside of my comfort zone on color but I trusted her and I am so glad I did! 
There is so much more to post next time. 
If you ever get the chance to get into one of her classes, take it don't wait she is so amazing!


20 comments:

Julia said...

Wow, Michelle Palmer does amazing work and her designs are truly lovely. Lucky you to have been a student of hers. They are all works of art. I see why she doesn't like black letters. Black would be good in a kind of advertisement but not in a design.
Thanks for the tip.
Hugs, Julia

Deb J. in Utah said...

It looks like a really fun and creative event!

Hill Top Post said...

With winter right at hand, timing couldn’t be better for new projects. How wonderful that you had the opportunity to attend rug school with this wonderful teacher.

Lauren said...

I have heard nothing but good things about Michelle. So happy you had such a great experience. Lucky you.
You are one fast hooker! Such a sweet rug.
Looking forward to seeing more.

Anonymous said...

Oh my! Oh my! I love everything you shared! All so gorgeous 💕. Also funny about butter - and true.
Lady Locust

Granny Marigold said...

All those rugs are beautiful!!
Granny M

Sandi said...

Some of these are so intricate it's hard to imagine how they were done!

Marcia said...

Never have understood rug hooking. Those are beautiful pieces of art.

Saundra said...

I've never had a class with but given the opportunity I sure will in the future. I've admired her artwork and rugs when seeing them on the internet. Glad you enjoyed the class and can't wait for the next installment, lol.

Jeanie said...

I can see why you like her work -- it's absolutely beautiful and I'll bet she's a terrific teacher. I'm so glad you had a chance to take this class!

acorn hollow said...

Some think it is latch hook but it is very different it is done with steps of wool fabric mostly hand dyed

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Those rugs are beauties!
I like the first one, and the cornstalk crows, but without the cow.
It is interesting to see the colors from your close up pictures that go into making the crows

Marie Smith said...

Beautiful work. Love your piece too.

Meridiana said...

From what I've heard, everyone who's ever taken a class with her has raved about the experience. Sure hope I get to do so one day. Love your sheepie too.

TheCrankyCrow said...

I've always loved Michelle's style - and absolutely adore her crows. Can't wait to see you do some. I didn't quite follow the round table and the wheel of wools? Perhaps I'm not sufficiently caffeinated LOL. You sheep turned out wonderful! Sounds like an amazing class experience. ~Robin~

Wendy said...

Those rugs are amazing. Thank you for your visit to my blog.

yaya said...

What a fun time you had! I think your finished rug is so cute and pretty! She sounds like an amazing teacher and I can feel your joy right through the blog post! I'm glad you were able to go and learned so much. Her rugs are beautiful and I bet seeing them in person really is awesome!

Prims By The Water said...

What a talented teacher. I love the colors of your sheep rug too. I am glad you were able to take her class a learn a few things. Janice

Bonnie K said...

Those are amazing. She really has a talent for adding depth with her colors. I'm super happy for you. It looks like it was an incredible class.

Anonymous said...

She sounds like a phenomenal teacher