Monday, October 9, 2023

News From Home

I was wading through my freezer and found chicken bits and bones in a freezer bag. We had a rotisserie chicken this summer so I put the bones in a freezer bag for cooler times.  I put it in some chicken stock that needed to be used up and let it simmer. There was still lots of chicken on those bones. My spice mix a few bay leaves some veggies and I have soup!!! Sooo good to!

!
I also found some pie crust I hadn't used in the freezer too. So, I made some apple turnovers. Husband approved!

I kept reading about the fruit and nut crackers you could make. I had all the ingredients, and it was pouring outside so why not. There are blueberries, raisins,cherries,dates, and cashews. (Next time I will use pecans) I tried them with some cream cheese and a smear of apple chutney OMG they are so good I know I am bragging but yumm!

Sunday the rain left, and the sun came out time for a walk. Everyone and their uncles are in our area this past weekend looking for colored leaves, so we did not go out much at all. As you can see there is a lot on the ground.

And the trees are getting bare. Not much color this year that's for sure. So sad about that. 

I started taking pictures of the little cemetery on my walk and no matter where I took the picture, I had this blur in the photo. What do you think? I just love this cemetery with all the leaves on it, it looks like it is getting ready for winter. 

Now onto the fair the good old, good old Sandwich fair!
We went at 400PM today husband got a couple of things to eat we walked around no crowds at this time of day. Just perfect for us.
I entered 2 rugs, and I got a 1st and 2nd and now before you get all excited there were only 4 pieces entered. But it was nice I had a couple of friends texting me from the fair this weekend letting me know and telling me how talented I am lol. Gotta love your friends.

Here is the grand winner. She submitted it under primitive not realistic and her own pattern. Thoughts on this please. It truly is a beauty. 

On the way out this little girl and her smaller brother were leading these two sheep out of the fair when we were leaving. They were so darn cute I could never get a good picture of them. But the sheep were so happy to be with the kids they kept brushing up against them my heart just melted. With all the trouble in the world that moment with those kids and their sheep made me smile. 


I have said before I spend way too much time online and well another idea. I bought this at a thrift store for 3.00.

And I turned it into this! Now I am no artist, but I dabbled, and I see where I could have done things differently, but it was fun, and I may try it again sometime. Don't miss the witch in the right corner Booo.

I had been out for a walk, and I come in and husband is washing the skylights in the upstairs hall as you can see, they were long past due for it. Well, you can't wash the windows and not vacuum or move some furniture etc. etc. well you know how it goes. There went the rest of that afternoon. 

In closing we are under a frost warning tonight. I went out and cut the rest of my herbs and I saw online (see what I mean?) that you can use a tension rod in a window to hang your herbs. Great idea! This window doesn't get a lot of sun and it is right in the kitchen win win! I also have a large pot of Geraniums wanted to protect. It is right by our walkout basement door, so I slid the pot in voila. about an hour or so later I went down to make sure I had locked the door. There was the sweetest frog singing up a storm. But since I do not want him in the house, I pulled the pot back outside and put a few towels over the flowers. The minute the pot hit the coolness of the night he stopped singing sorry little frog.
Have a wonderful week!
 

21 comments:

Rugs and Pugs said...

That cat rug was deserving of grand winner, but in no way is it primitive! Show us what rugs you entered, please. I was going to enter rugs in our county fair because they are talking about eliminating the category, BUT...it was $40 to enter items, whether 1 or ??. Just a little too rich for my blood.
You did a great job on your picture update. So creative.
Windows...argh. Mine are beyond bad and I am running out of time to something about them.

Marie Smith said...

The cat rug is a beauty. I love the border as much as the central figure. A great piece for sure.

I cleaned windows today. Windows here get a fine red dust from all the red soil carried on the breeze from the fields. A hateful job but I am glad I can do it. I couldn’t last spring after a fall off my bike.

Have a great week.

Boud said...

I just have to hope for rain to get my third floor skylight washed outside.

That rug is very appealing, and congratulations on your ribbons, too.

TheCrankyCrow said...

I love your ghostly redo of the thrifted picture - I've seen that done and it is so tempting, but I don't have enough wall space the way it is and know I'd likely end up being disappointed in my artistry anyway LOL. Those crackers sound interesting. That's something I've never made. It's most definitely soup season here as well. We had frost last night too...and supposed to have a harder freeze tonight, but I didn't make it out to gather up the rest of my herbs or rescue my geraniums. The day was taken up with the funeral and when I got home from, I was so chilled I couldn't bring myself to go out. But I absolutely LOVE your herbs hanging from the curtain rod. Hope I remember that trick. Argh - my windows are so, so, filthy but it's not a job I can handle on my own and I haven't called anyone. It's likely too late at this point. As always, love seeing glimpses of "my" cemetery. In that photo, the stones look so close together. Perhaps the "blob" was a spirit saying he/she was being crowded LOL. ~Robin~ (As for the rug...yes, it's a beautiful piece but no way, un unh, definitely NOT primitive.)

Bonnie K said...

Love the little Bo Peep picture. The crackers look delicious. Congratulations on the rugs. I know how cleaning on thing leads to another. I would never have thought about painting on a picture. I once brought a chipmunk in with the house plants. He wasn't as easy to get out of the house as your little frog.

Granny Marigold said...

The fruit & nut crackers look like something I'd enjoy making ( and eating).
Congratulations on winning those ribbons. I'm not sure why that cat rug was classed as primitive???
The picture of the sheep with the children....so adorable. I like how you painted the Fall touches onto your thrifty picture.
Granny M

Liz Hinds said...

What a busy week! All of your food looks lovely. And well done on winning. However many people entered you won!

hurdla said...

Don’t you just love the fall?. At every turn there’s something new and exciting that will grab your attention! To me the rug is really more realistic than anything else. It’s lovely but truly, I feel it’s not primitive at all! Crackers look yummy. If you’d like to share where to find the recipe, you’d get no argument from me, ha!

Jeanie said...

Congratulations on your ribbons. Ribbons are ribbons no matter how many entries! The rug was beautiful, I think that prize well deserved. I'd love to hear more about your crackers. And the festival looks fun. Fall is a wonderful time of year -- I'm a tad jealous of your blue sky!

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Congratualtions! Your rugs are beautiful.
Oh my, your frog story is just so adorable!
The cemetery photo blur might be sunlight. I've seen blurs happen in pictures I've taken of cemeteries. Maybe somebody was sending you a hello.

acorn hollow said...

Thank you but it was a bit of a hollow win. I do wonder what energy was around the cemetary

acorn hollow said...

I will share the crackers link in my next post.
Thanks for the visit

acorn hollow said...

You are very kind
Thank you for your visit
Cathy

acorn hollow said...

Those kids with those sheep just touched my heart.
Thanks for the visit

acorn hollow said...

Lol chipmunk. I had a cat once bring a chipmunk in the house and we had a terrier who made quick work of him what a mess!
Thanks for the visit

acorn hollow said...

These windows tip in and they are not high up so easier
Thanks for the visit

acorn hollow said...

Red dust sounds gard to clean
Thanks for the visit

Julia said...

You are so crafty, Cathy, and you have a great imagination to come up with the Halloween picture in your thrift picture.

Your food always looks inviting and tasty.

Oh, that little frog story is a riot. I can picture the face of that happy little frog when she was put back outside. No wonder she stopped singing, lol... She's not ready to hibernate yet.

Hugs,
Julia

yaya said...

Such a fun and delish post! The soup sounds perfect for those chilly days. We've had some of those and a frost warning last night but we didn't have any..thankfully. I love the picture redo idea. I never saw that before and now I'm itching to try it! Off to a thrift store I guess! Congrats on your ribbons. The only thing that struck me about the Grand winner was the cat looked like our now deceased cat, Squeak. Oh well! Speaking of deceased...oh how I love a cemetery walk which I do about 4 times a week. That blob on the pic? Well I believe it's a soul saying thanks for strolling by! Hey, it's Halloween season. Anything is possible!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

We were thinking alike about food ! I also made a chicken soup this week with the remains of a chicken carcass that had been stored in the freezer. And, instead of apple turnovers pies, I made individual apple crisp and used a cereal that had cranberries in it for the topping, but also added more dried cranberries and sliced almonds. We went to the Sandwich Fair years ago after relocating to New England. Nice to see your wins,

Prims By The Water said...

How fun to create a Halloween pic! That rug is definitely good, but not prim. Am making a pot of soup tomorrow as it is going to be a bit more chilly. No frost yet, but am sure it is around the corner. Congrats on your ribbons too! Janice