Wednesday, September 27, 2023

The North Side

Did you know that moss grows on the North side? An old hiking hint. 

Another glorious day today and the outlook is looking great!
But the color is very slow to show. Does that mean not much color this year? We are getting colder nights hopefully that will make it turn. 
This is my walking route even after all these years I still love it.

This is at the end of our driveway a bit of pink for a sunset. 
It sets so much earlier now darkness is closing in by the minute. The part of winter I dislike the most.
But watch for that moon it is supposed to another super moon. 

As most of you know I have been cleaning out. Closets, cupboards etc. If I haven't used it in years out is goes. I am now starting on the attic. I brought 2 boxes down and most of it is going I just took a couple of little things to keep. Like this troll dressed as a witch since I am going to a witch hook-in I thought she could decorate my rug room for now. 

Speaking of witches, she is done and hung. I love her and smile each time I walk by. 

I pulled a few more of my Halloween things out to enjoy. A great early start. 
***
It is on the news here that the price of wheat is going up a lot along with tomatoes, vegetable oil etc etc. And there could be shortages.  Just when we are coming to prime baking season. I got a gift card when I retired and so I took myself to stock up on my flour of choice King Arthur. I also got some canned tomatoes and a bottle of vegetable oil. Tonight, I am baking pumpkin bread as we speak yummm.

Have a wonderful week!!!


16 comments:

Prims By The Water said...

I went to the grocery store today and I almost had a heart attack. Prices keep going up. I just told Bob more soups in store to try and save money and he said cool. He loves soup like I do. I will need to stock up on flour. Thanks for letting us know. Janice

Saundra said...

Temps here have been 10 degrees lower than normal for over a week so guess it will only get cooler and heat turned on earlier. Haven't done that yet tho and will fight turning on the heat for as long as my body can take it.
Guess next time I go to the grocery store I should pick up more canned tomatoes since I love making homemade soups.

Granny Marigold said...

We're coming to our Canadian Thanksgiving ( October 9th) and this week our main grocery stores are having all manner of baking supplies on sale. It's a great time to stock up.
Pumpkin bread sounds like a good idea. I can imagine the wonderful scent in your kitchen.

Anonymous said...

I love this. Yay for the decluttering progress. Beautiful walk ~

Lynda said...

Apparently there’s a Saran Wrap shortage too! Probably because of the idiots who film themselves wrapping friends cars…..

yaya said...

Thanks for the update on shortages. I'll be stocking up on flour as I love to bake all year but especially this time of year. I'm glad I canned my tomatoes this year! Your decor is so cute and that troll doll is a classic. Like you I enjoy an evening stroll but the mosquitoes are ruthless this year. Annabelle and I head into town where they spray so we can walk in comfort...usually at the cemetery. Our temps here have been cool but a short warm up this weekend and next week will hopefully end the warm season and bring on some fall weather!

acorn hollow said...

I guess I missed that trend.

acorn hollow said...

Stock up who knows what will happen later

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Your witch is charming. Cold nights here has well. Take care you don't lift too much in your clear out.

King Arthur Company is only 2 hours away. I thought it was much farther south of here. That will make a nice day shipping trip to see foliage as well. I'm big on stocking up on canned tomato paste, puree, and diced. Tomato sauce doesn't have as much tomato flavor as the puree.

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

shopping trip...lol

TheCrankyCrow said...

I'd love your walking path as well. We've had almost a week of dreary gray (and earlier, incredibly rainy) weather which, after month of non-stop sun, I welcome. Sometimes I need gray weather to recharge. The fall colors seem to be especially intense here this year although the heavy rains did a number on the foliage. It is strange though because some have changed and are done and others are just beginning. I am not surprised at the shortages given the drought so many of us were in. The crops here certainly were impacted. You hooked witch looks wicked good there. So fun. ~Robin~

acorn hollow said...

King Arthur is just over an hour from me a lively little outing once in awhile. I like to make my own sauces and soup too.
Cathy

Rugs and Pugs said...

Oh my goodness. I haven't seen a troll doll in many, many years!
You are doing a better job than me at purging. I am having such a hard time.
Yep. I knew that about moss ;-)
Happy baking. I am not a baker, but everything is crazy expensive.

Marie Smith said...

It is cooling off here at night now too, frost is on the horizon! Our leaves are slow to change too. Love these fall days though. I too hate the loss of light though.

Jeanie said...

So far our prices have been really good, but thanks for the heads up. I'll stock up on holiday staples and butter. I always do and freeze and it works just fine-- and less of a budget drain during the season. You were smart to get your order in! Not a lot of color change here in Lansing but I expect to see more next week when we go up north.

Julia said...

Everything is going to go up in price here too. We had a very wet summer and our crops were nothing near as plentiful as last year. I had to harvest my potatoes when the ground was still too wet. Some of my Russet Burbank potatoes have hollow cores but my red Norland have faired better.

I can only imagine that the drought out west has had a detrimental effect on the production of wheat, not to mention the cost of transportation since the gas price has gone through the roof.

Our fall foliage seems to be earlier this year around here anyway. I think the trees were stressed with the overabundance of rain and no sun. We've had several cold nights too. I don't bake much but mostly for the church.

Take care, hugs.
Julia