Friday, June 2, 2023

Retired

It is official I am retired as of 5pm tonight!!!!


My sweet husband gave me a retirement party at a local restaurant with family and friends. He kept it a surprise until he showed up at work pacing waiting for me to be done all dressed up ????
He was a wreck and so funny. I am so lucky to have some who loves me enough to get that all together.  And he did a great job too!



This afternoon the skies opened up and the hail and rain just poured down. They are replacing water pipes all over Main Street, they blocked the street drains, so we had water lapping against the building! yikes! 

My replacement cut her leg very badly and she cannot work so I worked alone the past two days, no training. I get a phone call from the office asking me to work just one more week. I said no. Then one of the managers came in to supposedly to wish me well today. She says, "So you are working tomorrow, right?" No this is it. I never got a call from my other manager, and we have known each other since I started 19 years ago. Never got a call or an email from the director of the agency. I stood in that store after the lights were out thinking I have spent the better part of 19 years here and unless I was willing to give more, they had no interest in talking to me. I left dry eyed and thankful I am now free of them. I know it has been only a few hours, but I feel like a weight has been lifted. 
***
On another note, I was asked if the lady slippers were in my yard yes there are 4 in my front yard but some on my walk also. I have a busy week ahead a dance recital and then some time with my sweet hooker friends at the beach and then time with my dear best friend. It is starting with a bang!!! Have a great weekend!

15 comments:

Julia said...

Happy Retirement. Enjoy all the perks of retirement. It's too bad that you have been used so unfairly. Freedom sounds sweet sweet.
Hugs,
Julia

Rugs and Pugs said...

Time at the beach with hooker friends is a great way to start retirement!!!!!!!!
Congratulations. I am so very happy for you. How lousy (I will use the polite word) that they treated you so shabbily on your last day after 19 years....and even after giving them an extra week. It's not like you did let them know many months ago!!!
How sweet of hubby to throw you a party ;-)

Prims By The Water said...

What a butt hole of a manager not to wish you luck on your retirement. So sweet of hubby to give you a party! Have fun now. You deserve it so much! Janice

yaya said...

You did it! Yay!!! Congratulations and I know you'll have lots of fun and freedom. I can't believe your managers. How rude and how sad. Now they can find someone else to abuse and not give a darn about except how it effects them. Well, you enjoy and what a great time of year to do this. A lot of summer days ahead to enjoy! I've been thinking more about calling it quits. I've been back for a little over a year and it has been fun to work with great Docs and nurses but I'm feeling it more in my joints with standing for 8-10hrs with no lunch or breaks. Enjoy your time with friends at the beach! What a sweet hubby you have to plan a party! As my sister would say: "Give him a big squish!" Have a good weekend...wait, every day is the weekend now!

Hill Top Post said...

Happy retirement! You are going to love it and wonder how you ever had time for a job. I cried all afternoon on my last day, but after that I never looked back.

Deb J. in Utah said...

Congratulations on your retirement! Your job sounds like a good one to retire from. So glad you are feeling relief. As I have said before, I am REALLY looking forward to retiring. I have put in my time and now feel burnt out, but alas, I'm not quite old enough, so I will gather my strength and resolve and go for at least another couple of years. So glad that your husband acknowledged this happy event in your life. He sounds like a good man! Have a great weekend!

kcmrugs@gmail.com said...

Happy Retirement! Unfortunate that the management is bad. Work place is best as a family. May your retirement years be long and wonderful

Saundra said...

Glad you are free of them and proud of you to walk out with your head high! Congrats.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

First, Cathy, congrats are definitely in order on your retirement and welcome to the Best Job ever and that's NO Job. What a sweet thing for your husband to give you a surprise party and especially after the way you were treated when leaving. It seems you worked for a group of ungrateful people who did not know how to wish you well and THANK YOU as well. Sorry to read about the person who was injured, but you did best in not staying any longer.

Kay G. said...

Happy Retirement! It can take some people a while to get used to not working but then, there are some who take right to it! I bet you will be the latter! xx

Jo said...

Happy Retirement!! Enjoy your time & life!!

Jeanie said...

Congratulations and what a wonderful husband you have! It sounds like the timing couldn't be better -- and to those there who seem to take you for granted, good riddance. I see a whole happy life on that road ahead and you're going to love it.

TheCrankyCrow said...

Happy, Happy, Retirement!! And Congratulations!! 🎉💐🍾 The rudeness and inconsiderateness of your managers/employer must have made leaving quite easy...and your celebratory surprise all the sweeter. I'm proud of you for not relenting. It is too easy for kind and good-intentioned people to be taken advantage of. And it sounds like you've found absolutely perfect ways of kick starting your new way of life. You go girl...and finally fully enjoy the fruits of your many years of (thankless) labor. Hurrah! ~Robin~

hurdla said...

Congratulations and have a very happy retirement! I am so very sorry that your last day was such a sad ending to 19 years of service to the agency. And yet so pleased that your hubby was there with bells on….just for you! Have fun and enjoy xx!

Terra said...

How beautiful that you are retired. I retired at age 64 and have been happily retired ever since. I sometimes am so busy, mostly doing things I choose to do, that I wonder how I ever had time to work 8 hours a day. Congratulations.