Sunday, June 25, 2023

A Big Ol' Visitor

Sat morning my feet had just hit the floor I heard a bang, and we lost power.
12 seconds later the generator roared to life. And raising my spirits knowing I would get a hot cup of coffee to start my day. 

Humidity has settled in NOT my favorite weather. We are in the low 80's with pouring rain off and on. I had the ingredients, so I made vanilla ice cream and I had frozen blackberries in the freezer, so I also made a blackberry sauce to go over it. It turned out delicious if I do say so myself yum. 

We have had a large visitor (black bear). As you can see, he wanted the birdfeeder and decided to use the light to try and make the climb. He bent the plate to the lamp and knocked over my big pot under it. As a side note he did not get the feeder and we now are taking it in at night to not tempt him to do that again.

Knobs again! I got brushed nickel. I do like it a bit better, but I miss counted my knobs. I forgot the two over the frig ugg.
So, I am two short. So back to the white knobs until I can be sure I can get two more. 
My kitchen is dark, so I needed something lighter in there. When we put the porch on the whole length of the front of the house it made the kitchen side of the house darker. But I will never give up my porch!

I am still cleaning out! I am on box 11 right now! I am so proud of myself for weeding out what we never use and pass it on. Well, when I am done filling a few of boxes, I take them to the thrift store. And well since I am there..... I got this pair of pjs I have them all washed and dried and ironed with lavender linen spray. Fresh sheets are going to feel good tonight with fresh pjs. 
I also got a new skirt with all the tags, a couple of embroidery magazines and my Christmas cards. All for just a few dollars. I do love a good thrift store.



And this guy had a birthday this weekend! We took him out for breaksfast and some family time. Happy Birthday my sweet husband. 
***
Busy week ahead I have my women's group coming Tuesday for dinner and drinks. All 16 of us! Everyone brings something so it is an easy way to entertain.  Then Wednesday I am taking some time with my daughter and grand. 
And then we go right into July!!!
***
Have a wonderful week!

10 comments:

Prims By The Water said...

Happy Birthday to your hubby! UGH on the black bear. Good idea to bring in the feeder now. The black bears in our state are way up North from us. I would not give up a porch like yours either. Janice

Saundra said...

Hot and humid here too and finally turned on the A/C. Unfortunately I don't have a generator and if I did wouldn't know how to safely work it. There are some things men are useful for, lol (remember mine wanted a divorce).

yaya said...

We lost power on Thursday when a pole caught on fire. We were only out 3hrs but no generator and every time this happens I think, "gee, I wish we had a generator!" Have a fun, busy week and I would never give up that lovely porch! I like the look of the new knobs too!

Deb J. in Utah said...

Enjoy your women's group! Sounds like fun. I love a good thrift store as well. Since we are moving, we have been finding plenty to donate and took a big load in on Saturday, and will take in another load tomorrow. I like the new knobs. Wow, it's really great that you have a generator. Happy birthday to your husband! I hope you have a good week.

WoolenSails said...

It is nice to have a generator, ours is battery back up from the solar. I love how the knobs look on your cabinets, perfect choice. I haven't been to a thrift in ages, I need to get rid of stuff, not get more, lol. I definitely enjoy the nice weather but the humidity kills me. We have had bear sightings, but never in our area.

Debbie

Julia said...

It sounds like you are living the life now that you're retired. How fun to have your women's group coming to your house.
Happy Birthday to your husband.

I had problems with my many bird feeders being pulled down so now hung some Thumbler Tomatoes in hanging baskets. So far, they are still hanging. We'll see if they get at the tomatoes. Maybe the deers will eat them.

It's been raining hard all night.

Hugs,
Julia

Rugs and Pugs said...

Happy, happy birthday to hubby!!!
Thankfully no bears here, but I did hear about an hour east of me they have one roaming the neighborhood.
I like the brushed nickel. Hopefully you can get the two you need.
Enjoy your women's group. What fun to have that many women to get together with.
Congrats on purging. I really need to, but...instead I am continuing to buy. I'm not the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree sometimes...lol!

TheCrankyCrow said...

It seems like there are more bears around and about this year - at least in our area. It is such a comfort to have a back-up generator, no? After spending 3+ days in an ice storm in December without power, that was the last time. We had a week+ of extremely hot and humid weather, but Saturday night/Sunday, all the rain that didn't fall the past month and a half came down and temps fell dramatically... We didn't even get to 70ยบ today. I had hoped to finally get out and get some things done outdoors that couldn't be done with the heat, but the smoke is horrid....Even being out just to get the mail left my hair and clothes smelling like smoke. A warm shower and your lovely new jammies would be perfect. I have to find a new thrift store as the one I always took things to changed hands and it is degenerated to an incomprehensible dump. Happiest of birthday wishes to your handsome hubby! Have fun with the women's group get-together! ~Robin~

Bonnie K said...

I think the brushed nickel is perfect. I also would never give up my porch. The new deck is nice but nothing beats coffee in the porch. I hope you and your husband have a great celebration. Birthdays are a big deal for me. I also love the thrift store. I have a special affinity for embroidered handkerchiefs. I enjoyed your post. Have a wonderful week.

Hill Top Post said...

Oh no, the bear is back. I keep waiting for one to get into my hummingbird feeders, but so far so good. I like that you are keeping count of the boxes you have cleaned. I am still cleaning boxes and drawers in my sewing room.