Monday, April 15, 2024

A Pleasant Morning

I had some time to clean out some of my gardens Sunday and lo and behold my daffodils are getting ready to bloom soon. 
The last of my house guests left Sunday Morning. (my brother)
So, it is laundry central here and finally the sun came out enough for me to get in the gardens. 

Today my sweet friend and I headed for Conaway to see Mary Ann Espositio and her husband Guy who is one amazing gardener! I believe he is a retired surgeon. His garden is huge 60ft by 30ft!
I would love to be his neighbor he said he shares. 
She is a very well-known tv chef here in NH on PBS. She said she has been on for 30 years. It was in formative and a great way to spend a morning. We each got her signed cookbook. I am planning recipes to try soon.  They want us all to get back to the basics of eating. 
Last week I had to purchase corn starch, I don't use much but I always want it in the house. Check your labels! Most of it was GMO (genetically modified.) Umm no thank you! So, I had to pay extra for basic corn starch. So truly we do not realize what is in our food. 

The forward of her cookbook was written by John Forti a very well known gardener here in NH and executive director of  Bedrock gardens in Lee.
If you have never been it is so worth a trip. Husband and I loved it!
I also have his signed book Heirloom Gardner. 
Can you tell I am ready to dive into gardening????




The news makes my nerves jump. My brother is a news junkie he watches it all and we are usually a very quiet house. So, it was not easy to not listen. 
I have an eye appointment this week and an oil change tomorrow. Then not much else so maybe I will get back to hooking my rug.
Have a great week! 

14 comments:

Julia said...

My daffodils are out too but I haven't had time to see if any have budded yet.
I've catered to two large funerals at our church, so the yard work has been stalled.

I've been gardening organically for years as we are farmers. It's definitely worth it.

Thanks for the warning about GMO corn starch. I use Fleishman corn starch and I didn't see any GMO on the label, thank goodness.

Enjoy your time in the garden.
Hugs,
Julia

kathyinozarks said...

Enjoy your daffodils-one of my favorites. sounds nice about meeting and getting the cookbook. I always read labels-one has to now. I check for salt and sugar content, and if it is gluten free or not-and added stuff we don't want.
Have a good week

Marcia said...

I thought my daffodils were going to bloom yesterday but the buds just swelled some more. Maybe today!

TheCrankyCrow said...

That does sound like a fun morning. You'll have to let us know what recipes you decide to try and how they are. I've started scrutinizing labels when my husband started dating his fiancé (who has Celiac's). It's amazing what's in some things. Like who knew that not all soy sauces are gluten free. It takes me a lot longer to shop these days - thy make the labels so tiny...and I need to check expiration dates as living by myself I don't go through things like I used to...and the company that took over the store I mainly shop at is not very good at keeping things "fresh.". (Yes, I know...time to find a new place to shop but there are things/brands I can only find. there.) Your daffies look about like mine. I broke down and picked some and brought them inside to bloom. We're to get exceptionally strong winds (50mph+) and rain later this afternoon so at least I'll have some sunshine inside. ~Robin~

Debbie said...

we are having beautiful weather but i have yet to get out in my gardens, i need to!! my daffodils have come and gone and my tulips are about one day past prime. i wish they lasted longer!!

Chatty Crone said...

I am going to look Mary Ann Esposito up and see what she has - that sounds interesting to me. Thanks.

Marie Smith said...

The news would make most people jumpy these days. I try not to watch too much…just the basics.

That garden you visited must be lovely!

Lady Locust said...

Yay for upcoming daffys :-) I have to scale the amount of news I encounter also - it really gets to me if there's too much.
And a quick funny. My Gma was Italian. When doing family history, my great uncle Guido born in Italy seemingly disappeared once he arrived in the US at 6 mo. old. I thought for a long time perhaps he died. Then finally, I found it. His name was Americanized to Guy. The lost was found. I think of that every time I see the name guy.

Deb J. in Utah said...

I got out in my garden today and got about half of it weeded. I enjoy working outside with plants. My tulips are up and ready to bloom. It's crazy about all the chemicals and genetic engineering in our food. Very troubling indeed. I hope you have a good week.

Granny Marigold said...

I think all of us are getting anxious to work out in the garden. I hope to find the kinds of tomato plants that I want and buy them soon even if I have to keep them in the sunroom for a couple of weeks before the ground is warm enough so I can put them into the ground. I'm sure that when I'm at the plant shop other things will magically jump into my cart.

Prims By The Water said...

At my old house I had a huge garden and would share with my neighbors as well. Good luck with yours. Will need to check my own cornstarch. Very scary what is put in our food. Janice

Rugs and Pugs said...

Scary what is in our food and even scarier listening to the news...so I bury my head in the sand and don't.
I have been out doing yard work for a few days. I am usually excited to go out and finally play in the dirt...but this year my heart just isn't in it...sigh.
Hope you have time to hook!!!

The Happy Whisk said...

Did I also end up in your spam folder? That's happening a lot to me these days. I love that you got to meet her and have a good time. This is very, very cool.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Agreed that too much news watching or listening can make one nervous, so best avoided as much as possible. My half hour of online reading in the am is quite enough. Better to think about gardening and recipes.