Sunday, January 7, 2024

Thrift Find

Snow Day today we got 6 to 8 inches of fluffy snow.

King Arthur flour has a sale and this pan was 60% off.
I gave myself a little present.

I made a small chocolate cake to try them out. So sweet! 

I had an orange that needed to eaten but before I cut it I zested the rind and put it into sugar. 

Voila orange flavored sugar! I have been having oatmeal for breakfast and it is so good for a light sprinkle of this sugar. 
There are so many great uses for this sugar. I kept the top off for a day and ever once in awhile I gave it a stir.

And I pickled some onions I had a half of a red onion and a bit of white onion so in a pint jar I sliced the onions, added a heaping tsp of sugar a half cup of very hot water and then top off with vinegar add some salt and pepper.
Shake it up and refrigerate oh they are so good! 

I had a hair cut on Friday and around the corner is my favorite thrift store. lookie lookie what I found! It is a little large just perfect for layers underneath. Now that we have snow I hope to get out to snow shoe and oooh I will be looking pretty fashionable lol. 

 I got this shade out I got last week. It looks great on the small floor lamp by my chair. 

Speaking of Christmas I walked passed these two getting ready to put them away and I had to leave them for at least on more day.
Doesn't it look like they are having a great conversation. 

More on the give-away I have added fingerless gloves. They are handmade but not by me. Some cocoa bombs, a little sign,.....

And a fun basket to hold all the goodies. 
Do you want to put your name in? Go to this Give- away post to comment.

This is so true of me I need to get off my phone!
***
I will reply to the comments on the last post (I have been spending to much time on my phone) and welcome to my new followers.



17 comments:

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hello! That is a beautiful sweater! Great thrift store find! I also like that lamp shade. I had never thought of mixing orange zest with sugar. Great idea! You are offering some nice things in your giveaway basket! I hope you have a good week. See you again soon!

Saundra said...

Those Santa's look like they are from my childhood days of the 50's and made me smile. I'm quite green with envy with that beautiful sweater you found at the thrift shop. I'd have snapped it up too.

Prims By The Water said...

That is a great way to use up an orange. Great sweater find. I always wear sweaters in the Winter. We finally got some snow but only a little over an inch and gone today now. Janice

Boud said...

Lovely post. That sweater is a real find. While you're flavoring sugar -- I tossed empty vanilla essence bottles into my sugar jar and have vanilla sugar. It smells lovely when I unscrew the cap. No work at all!

Bonnie K said...

Those cakes look fabulous! What fun! I love the thrift store finds. That lampshade would look great in our cabin. The sweater has to be cozy. The orange sugar is something I have seen but have yet to try. Thanks for sharing it is always interesting to see what others are up too.

yaya said...

I'm going to have to try some flavored sugar. Looks so easy to do. What do you do with the onions? Do you put them on a sandwich or just eat them? I found a cake/bread mold that's Christmas and I did some bread but it didn't turn out as nice as yours looks. I might have to try it again as a cake and see if it's better. I will be putting the tree away tomorrow and that should have all the Christmas gone until next year. Have a good week and enjoy your snowfall! We only got a dusting which is OK by me!

WoolenSails said...

You find some of the greatest bargains, love those pan and your sweater.
I do cook more in the winter but no sugar for me.

Debbie

Mary, Windy Meadows Farm said...

We just had a little snow this morning...would so love to have had your 6-8 inches! And orange sugar sounds great...I love orange and chocolate, maybe a little dusting on my hot cocoa would be really good...I'll try it. Love the cakes, so pretty - did you have any trouble getting them out of the pans? Keep warm & cozy...the sweater looks perfect for winter.

Granny Marigold said...

I've never thought of making orange-flavoured sugar. My DH eats an orange almost every morning so you know what I'll be doing with his peels! The cakes look great and I'm amazed how well the "pattern" came out.

Marie Smith said...

I love the ideas of the lemon sugar and onions. Great tips!

Jeanie said...

Those Santas are darling. They deserve a little longer out (after all, the spirit of Santa doesn't stop on the 25th!). I love all your cooking and my! That orange sugar has inspired me -- I think I will need to do that. We're due for some snow (not so much as you) tonight so I'm headed to the store today. I don't have to stock up on much but I need a few onions -- tis the season for French onion soup!

kathyinozarks said...

Good morning, Love your amazing find at King Arthur's if I had one of their stores near me I would be in trouble-smiles. Orange sugar sounds wonderful enjoyed your post-I think winter is blowing in this morning-strong winds snow to follow.
Happy new week Kathy

kathyinozarks said...

wow my comment finally went through-above

TheCrankyCrow said...

You are just bursting with fun finds and great ideas. Love the pan and I am certain it will be put to great use at your house. Love the Santas....and, yes! It does look like they are having a fun conversation...how I'd like to be privy to it. We are under a storm warning...up to 7" of snow coming in tonight and high winds. So, I need to break out of my shell and get to town for some groceries. I haven't been out since the week before Christmas. Could be a long list. :-( Think soup and homemade bread is on the menu for the coming days...just have to figure out which soup sounds best. Have a good new week my friend. ~Robin~

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

No doubt the Santas are laughing about how many will be envious of that gorgeous sweather you scored. Nice thrift store finds. The house pan is really neat. Stay warm!

Julia said...

Cathy, I would have snatched that King Arthur Christmas house pan too, and what a bargain. They are adorable and so festive.
You are always so creative in the kitchen. I salt onion scapes and green onions with Kosher salt and keep it in the fridge and I use it sparingly in soup and stews. It gives a good taste but you have to use just a little. I never tried the orange zest and sugar. I don't use much sugar because of diabetes but it sounds good.

The Santas look very relaxed now that the Christmas rush is over.
We still don't have snow but your weather usually finds its way here. lol.
Take care, hugs.
Julia

Catherine said...

Thé cakes look great so is the pullover