Wednesday, September 20, 2023

A Walk About

A sunny lovely day. I did some yard work and caught up on Laundry.
This is a hydrangea that has turned such a pretty pink for fall. 


The acorns are falling in buckets it seems. 



I do believe that some little critter has been enjoying them on this rock in the sunshine.

The growth on an old stump. So pretty if you make the picture bigger. It has wonderful patterns on them.



Not sure what this plant is, it was in the woods. It is losing its
color still so pretty. 


The flowering cherry is starting to ripen, the birds will be landing in flocks soon to pick it clean before they leave for the winter. 

Wild Asters on the border of our woods. If you make this larger you will see a sweet little B on the bottom right collecting nectar. 



And because the weather is cooler, I thought I would try making white sandwich bread. It is with the tanghoz method where make a roux with 6% of your flour and add it to your mixture. It helps to keep it softer longer. Sandwich bread can be hard to get the right crumb and there are problems with this loaf, but it is better than the past ones. Let the baking begin lol.

Time does slip by so fast I thought this was so true.
Have a wonderful week. 

18 comments:

TheCrankyCrow said...

Pretty late summer beauties. I especially like the layered stump growth. Sadly, there aren't many oak trees in these parts. There was some disease that went through here and wiped most out...then came the dutch elm disease.... I do have a few oaks at the lake though. Your bread looks lovely. I've not tried that tanghoz method. I should look into it as 1 loaf lasts a while for me. Perfect thoughts from the chief...and so beautifully expressed. ~Robin~

Bonnie K said...

I've never seen that quote before. It is beautiful. Great pictures! I really liked the growth on the stump. Thanks for sharing.

Saundra said...

OMG, the acorns and other nuts are all over my driveway and yard. Yup, also have the mushroom's growing from the sides of the sick tree stump. I find many quotes from Native Americans to be spoken in truth and wisdom.

Rugs and Pugs said...

Time seems to evaporate!
Very cool old stump.

Deb J. in Utah said...

I love that quote at the end of this post. So true. Your bread looks absolutely delicious! I hope you are having a good week. See you again soon!

Liz Hinds said...

Autumn is a beautiful season in its own way with the changing colours and berries. I do love the patterns on trees too.

Jeanie said...

That old stump is fabulous. I love cooking in the fall -- fall veg and food, the warmth of the kitchen. And bread. Yum!

Marie Smith said...

Crowfoot had it right for sure. Great photos! Enjoy the autumn!

Julia said...

Fall is definitely in the air as I saw the trees changing colors on my drive to town this morning. It's supposed to go down to 4℃ or 39.2 ℉. in the morning.

I must look up the tangzhong method of making sandwiches bread. Thanks for sharing and take care.

Hugs, Julia

Prims By The Water said...

The colors of Autumn are all around us. Yours and the colors of nature are wonderful. Hope the bread was good. Janice

Granny Marigold said...

Your bread looks great and I can just imagine how good it tastes.
I like the fungus growing on that stump. So interesting how it grows.

yaya said...

Love all the pretty photos of your area! Plus that bread looks amazing. Yes, Fall always brings on the baking kick in me too. I have an Amish white bread recipe that is easy and comes out good. Enjoy the start of this amazing season!

Mary, Windy Meadows Farm said...

So pretty - a walkabout is perfect this time of year. We have oodles of acorns too...I wondered if that meant a hard winter, but I guess that's not always true; we'll see! (Personally, I wouldn't mind being snowed in for about 4 months!) Time to bake bread...it looks so good and oh with butter, the best!

WoolenSails said...

It is a great time to go for walks, hopefully our rain will stop coming on weekends. It won't be long before we can enjoy seeing the foliage coming in.

Debbie

acorn hollow said...

We are having beautiful few days and today is overcast and chilly. Not much color yet

acorn hollow said...

He did thanks for the visit

acorn hollow said...

Oh the bread was wonderful. Great toast

acorn hollow said...

I was told years ago it means a snowy winter. We shakk see
Thanks for the visit