Thursday, July 6, 2023

Halcyon Days

Fireworks were delayed because of rain so last night they went off without a hitch. 
Today my daughter, sweet B and I went to the Science center. 
for the animals' birthday party. It was warm but the trails were cooler among the trees. This is the owl chair. there is another one a few yards away and when you talk low it goes straight to the other person. It is amazing and it shows how owls have super hearing. 
(She had golf lessons in the morning a busy girl.) 



But our favorites the otters. They were pretty active and enjoying their extra snacks for their birthday party. 
We got the passes from our local library for free entry. You should always check with your local library to see what passes they have our little library has a lot of passes that we will use this summer. 
A great money saver. 



We are in day 2 of humid heat and the lavender is blooming like crazy. I made a couple of lavender bottles to put in my wool to help keep the moths away. I make a few every year so I have quite a collection. They last forever. 

Before the heat settled in, I made almond poppy seed bread. I froze the three and kept one. We have a picnic to go to this weekend so I will take a couple out of the freezer to take with us. 

My garlic grew scapes this is my first time having them, so I am always looking up what to do with them. I put them in a salad, made pesto, and tonight I grilled a few on the grill to have in a salad yummm. 

Holly Hocks are large and wonderful and enjoying the heat.  

I know this is a "weed: but I still love it. Mullein
the flowers and leaves contain powerful anti-bacterial properties.
It has so many uses. If you want to know more, you should follow The Heirloom Gardener- Jon Forti He is the director of Bedrock gardens in Lee NH he is a wealth of knowledge and has written a book also. I was lucky enough to meet him last summer. 

Bear update, I am not sure if he decided to move on on his own or I convinced him to. Each night I put out fresh Ammonia around where he was coming in. Since I have started that no sign of him. I will keep doing it for a while just to be sure. 

This is husband hard at work. when we drove to Florida last March 
we had lots of time to talk. We discussed aging in place or moving on. The house is much too large, but we decided to stay as long as we could. We only have a half bath on the main floor and to make it more comfortable if at some point we can't make the stairs we are putting in a walk-in shower. It worked out great as we had a closet on the back side of this bathroom so he broke through and that is where the shower will go. He has saved us hundreds of thousands of dollars over the years. He built our house and has done most everything in it. We are starting to hire some things done it is time for him to rest but he wanted to do this so there he is. Waiting on the plumber and we had to special order a shower to finish up.

Tonight, was the first night to get the grille going. 
the night is so warm, but it felt so good to have a wine and just enjoy the evening. 
It is days like these I have thought about when working over the years. Time with Sweet B and family and time to just be if I wanted. 
These are the days I hold in my heart. I am sure there are many more to come. 
Have a wonderful rest of your week. 

13 comments:

Saundra said...

So much chat so am sure I'll forget something... that owl seating is remarkable. Was it a carving? The bread sounded delicious and used to bake zucchini bread, banana nut and carrot breads but no more; not sure why.
I think otters are the cutest critters when they float on their backs, great to have a full bath on the first floor and now have forgotten what else there was. OH, glad the big bad bears will stay their distance.

kathyinozarks said...

Lovely post, I love the owl seat too, never knew that about getting free passes for things-but we have always lived so rural that the librarys were very expensive for a library card and never convenient. growing up as a kid I loved the library.
your bread sounds delicious. that was the best thing for me when I retired-no more living by the clock-the phone co was very strict, and not having to drive every day-never liked driving.
have a good week hugs Kathyu

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

The owl seat photo is a keeper, very nice. It looks like a nice thrown to have.
There is a unique satisfaction doing the work DYI at home. Happy New Shower!

Rugs and Pugs said...

Miss B is turning in to such a beautiful young lady! Happy you now have more time to spend with her and your daughter. Retirement suits you.
I still have the lavender bottle you sent me years ago in my wool room ;-)
Hopefully your bear will not come come back.
How ironic...next month I am having the shower taken out of the first floor bath. In 24 years, it has only been used a few times and since there is no bedroom on the main level, it just didn't make sense and was wasted space. I am having the room changed in to a half bath/laundry room. I am fine doing laundry in the basement now, but maybe in the future it will be an issue.
Happy Friday...but every day can be our Friday!!!

TheCrankyCrow said...

What a lovely girl your Miss B is - she holds herself so regally and it is wonderful she is getting such a well-rounded upbringing with so many opportunities. Love the owl seat. What a fun thing to do - have a birthday party for the animals! No zoo remotely close here unfortunately. Your season is way ahead of us - no blooms on my lavender yet. I would love to learn how to weave the bundles but I don't think I will have enough blossoms. I had a first floor walk-in shower and bedroom put in during WWR...and had my laundry moved to the first floor as well. No regrets there. I'll be anxious to follow along on your addition. You are so fortunate to have such a handy/motivated husband. The bread looks great - but I've never heard of an almond poppyseed bread? Is it a quick bread or a yeast bread? Keep enjoying your beautiful life! ~Robin~

Marie Smith said...

I love the eclectic nature of this post and the beautiful photos.

My husband and I have decided to age in place for a while in our too big house as well. My husband isn’t a carpenter but he has tackled many other jobs over the years. Such handy men are priceless, in more ways than one!

Prims By The Water said...

We got rid of our tub and added a walk in shower with a bench. So glad we did as my mom had to stay with us for 6 months when she broke her hip. So much easier. You will love it. I love otters! They are so cute and fun to watch. I miss my Hollyhocks from my old house. I have that Mullin inmy yard. Never knew the name but knew it was a weed and still kept it. Janice

yaya said...

Fun times and I think your outing with Miss B looked like a great time! Your house is like ours. Ours is also too big and we have a half bath on the first floor and we've discussed having a shower put in there since we do have a bedroom right next to it. Jack isn't ready to make any moves so I guess we'll be here until we actually can't. I have tons of that "weed/flower" plant and didn't know anything about it. Thanks for sharing that! Now I have a better respect for it. Today it finally got cooler and I'm loving it! Have a good weekend!

Julia said...

I'm glad the bear is staying away. Hopes it stays that way. Miss B. is quite a beautiful young lady and is quite busy with all kinds of fun things.
Our house is too big for us too but it's great when family visits but sometimes I'd like a smaller everything.

Have a great weekend.
Hugs, Julia

Marcia said...

I told that bear tale to my husband and he's been telling others. He though it very funny that the bear rang toe doorbell.

We purchased a not so big house when we moved her from MD in 2020. We will age in place. But one of your commenters mentioned changing the tub to walk in shower with bench and when it comes time to redo the first floor bathroom I think I may just give up having a tub. Haven't been able to use it for the last months after hand surgery anyway.

Bonnie K said...

I make a mullen tea adding licorice basil to clear away mucus. I swear by it! It is good you and your husband plan for the future. I'm always amazed at how some couples do not communicate. The owl chairs are interesting. I need them for in the cabin when I am talking to my husband. Glad you were able to grill and chill as it always seems like summer speeds by.

Jeanie said...

What a wonderful post. Those garlic scapes are magnificent and so is the poppy bread. And I can almost smell the lavender from here. It all looks wonderful Cathy, and you sound so happy!

Mary, Windy Meadows Farm said...

Oh my where to begin! The lavender is so pretty, how clever of you...what a beautiful fragrance. And I love the hollyhocks, garlic scapes, and the otters are always a favorite for me as well. Looks like you're having a great summer!