Sunday, July 9, 2023

A Day At The Beach



Saturday mid-morning we headed out for Maine.
A cookout at my brother-in-law's. The weather was sunny HOT! HUMID!
He has a pool but there were so many kids in it I was not going attempt it. Then by dinner time we headed to my sweet friend's house at the beach. It was fogged in, and a fine mist was constant with bouts of rain. UGG very different from my brother in laws house and they are about 25 minutes apart.
Then we get a text from Donna on the other end of the beach stop in on the way home I have something for you. So, I told husband a quick stop and we are headed home. Ok drinks and lots of laughter later and who knows how long we headed home phew we were gone 38 hours and 4 of those were travel so we fit a lot in! 
We got home and it has poured here and now we are under a thunderstorm watch. We have had so much rain and humid weather I feel clammy all the time! I am very very sick of it!
I am looking for cool crisp air with lots of sun.

9pm Friday night I decided to make a strawberry rhubarb crumble with the last of my rhubarb to take to the cookout.
Not enough oatmeal for the topping. Husband's cereal was cheerios cinnamon nut crunch. hmmm that may work! So, in the food processor it goes with all the other ingredients and voila! It was a hit!
Not much change in the weather this week. We have a garden walk on Sat with friends touring 11 different gardens. I am praying for sunshine.
And I have a class on Thursday but more on that later. 
Wishing you all blue skies. 


17 comments:

Saundra said...

I've had several consecutive days of rain and I am also sick of the HOT and HUMID thick air. I've done very little walking outside and remained inside as much as possible these last several days.

Deb J. in Utah said...

It's hot and dry here. I hope your rain lets up. We had a very wet June here in Utah. Now, I'd like a bit more rain to cool things off. That Strawberry-Rhubarb Crumble looks really good. So glad you had had a nice week with friends and family! See you again soon.

Rugs and Pugs said...

Sounds like you had a great 38 hours! Good to spend time with family and friends.
Strawberry rhubarb crumble. YUM!

kathyinozarks said...

from reading different posts the rain seems to stuck on the east coast-we are still hot humid with no rain, everyone's lawn here at the lake is totally burnt up and dry except for the area around the lake that gets splashed from the boats on the lake.
sounds like a fun time despite the long hours-good to get out-your crumble looks delicious happy new week

Marie Smith said...

We’ve had a lot of rain over the last week but it is drier now and steamy! Have a wonderful week.

Julia said...

You sure packed a lot of fun in your 38 hours. Here the sun is out and it's 71.6 F. It's supposed to go to 80.6 F.So I can't complain. We are lucky that we live next to the river so we are always a few degrees cooler here but we can't take anything for granted anymore.

Stay cool and enjoy your retirement. Hugs

Julia

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Wish y'all had some dry weather. I out an order in for summery weather next week into August. :)

Flood warning for a large part of Vermont. The local falls are probably at spring melt capacity.

TheCrankyCrow said...

Fun 38 hours, but I would be exhausted. We have still not had a stitch of rain...corn fields, lawns, you name it are brown and stunted. Other than no rain, the past several days have been beautiful - perfect temps in the mid to high 70's, cool at night and no humidity. Today, though, we are to get to 88º and it is windier than crazy. Then we drop down to 70º. Hello?? Creative cooking! ~Robin~

Liz Hinds said...

Not surprised that topping was a hit. Sounds yummy. Glad you had a good if damp/humid time away.

Prims By The Water said...

Wow what a change in weather. 38 hours would be a bit much for me. We are for some more rainy weather this week after two days of sun. Here we were worried it would not rain soon. Guess I wished too much for it. LOL Your dessert looks yummy! Janice

acorn hollow said...

As my mother always said necessity is the mother of invention. Have a great day

Jeanie said...

Weather never ceases to surprise me and how it can not only change on a dime but change within a reasonably short distance! But still, a big and fun sounding weekend. Strawberry rhubarb -- sounds great!

Mary, Windy Meadows Farm said...

A whirlwind of travel but it sounds like fun! Yes, weather is crazy here...thunderstorms, tornado watches, then sunshiny and blue-skied. Maine sounds lovely...ahhh, New England is on my wish-list to visit someday, lucky you!

Hill Top Post said...

The crumble looks delicious! And, the garden tour sounds like fun. Hopefully, the sun will be shining.

Jennifer said...

Hot and humid in Maine?? Oh my. Isn't that unusual?? We have had lovely where here...a little further south (in VA). It is hot and, yes, a fair bit of humid - but I love summer:) Your crumble looks amazing!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

We were both in Maine recently, Cathy, and thankfully the temps were not uncomfortable in Brunswick, ME, during our 2-day weekend stay. That cereal looked like a perfect crumble substitute. Yes, to a lot of rain and continuing into next week as well. We're in Yarmouth, MA for a few days but rain is expected here the next couple of days as well.

Jean | DelightfulRepast.com said...

Cathy, that's what I do, bake at night or early in the morning, so I don't heat up the house even more in hot weather. That was very clever of you to think of using the Cheerios for your crisp! Looks wonderful!