Sunday, November 13, 2022

Taking Stock

This was at daybreak on Saturday. I have chased her all summer out of my gardens but today I had my coffee and watched her wander and nibble. Just very peaceful.
This week one of my cousins passed away she was much younger than me and had a life of health issues and they had gotten worse the past few years, so it was not unexpected. 51 is much too young and it made me stop and think a lot about what I want out of the years I have left. I can sum it up as love of family and friends and peace. 
I have been following an Irish woman on Facebook who has a lot of profound things to say. Bealtaine Cottage Goddess and sadly their country seems to be going through what we are here. The link above goes her latest youtube video 

Today we were invited to Sunday dinner at my brother in law's.
boiled dinner my favorite! I volunteered to make the rolls. Well, they didn't rise, and they didn't rise I could not figure out why. I was supposed to put in a tablespoon of yeast I put a teaspoon. By the time we got home from my brother in laws the rolls were ready to be baked lol. Yes, we stopped and bought rolls on the way there. 



This should be the last Christmas I am working at the bookstore and the last time I have to come up with a Christmas themed window. I am starting with paper chain from discarded books, and I have a few other ideas I will show you when the window is done. 
I got the most wonderful box in the mail on Friday. It was from 
YaYa (Kathy) at Whispering Pines blog. I have followed her since I started blogging. As you can see, I had to try out one of the hot chocolates right away and it was delicious. The piece in the back is an oven mitt. I have been using the same Christmas oven mitt for several years each time I used I would think about replacing it. 
Does she know me or what? It was just the kindest gesture.
***
Today has gotten cold and there is a report of snow by Wed. It will not stay but it is a reminder that November is not supposed to be 70 degrees. 
Have a wonderful week! 



14 comments:

Lady Locust said...

All looks right with exception of your cousin. Blessings to your family. I do like your list though, couldn't agree more. And aren't boxes like that the most fun?!

Saundra said...

Yes, the reminder that we aren't in charge and it is November after all. I took advantage of the last of the warmth and pulled what I could of the remaining periwinkle. Will see what lasting small roots survive for another year in 2023.

Deb J. in Utah said...

That was so nice of Yaya to send you such a lovely gift box. I follow her blog as well and she seems to be a very kind person. The blogging community has lots of wonderful people in it. I agree with you about the most important things in life - family, friends and peace - all so important. I hope you have a great week.

Chatty Crone said...

I have done that roll thing too.
My brother died at 51. We sure do have to appreciate life and be grateful, don't we?
Nice gift from your blogging pal.

kathyinozarks said...

so sorry for your loss. we had warn 80's here for a few days before it dropped to the 20's brrr your window display at work sounds fun to create-happy new week hugs

Julia said...

So sorry about the loss of your cousin. 51 is too young. I lost my oldest daughter six years ago and she would have been 56 this past summer.

What thoughtful gifts from Yaya. She's a sweetie.

I did check up on the link you provided and found the Irish lady quite interesting.
I'm sure it will be a challenging winter for many. We need to change our lifestyle.

I'm looking forward to seeing how you'll do the Christmas paper decorations this year.

Take care and stay warm.
Hugs,
Julia

Prims By The Water said...

YAyA got it right for sure! I follow a blogger from Israel and she said their democracy is in jeopardy too. What is going on in this world? Janice

yaya said...

I'm so sorry for the loss of your cousin. Age is a funny thing. I see folks at the hospital in their 80's that look 60 and 50yr olds that look 80. Genetics does play a role but how we take care of ourselves is important too. I need to be more mindful with that! The deer have been hanging around here too but deer gun season starts right after Thanksgiving and they seem to hide out for a bit! I'm glad the package arrived in good shape! Enjoy! I wish my sister could be by you because she loves to decorate stuff like that! I know you'll find something amazing to do!

Rugs and Pugs said...

I am so very sorry for the loss of your cousin. Gone way too soon. I am thankful for every day I have my health.
What a fun package from YaYa.
Our weather has turned cold and I am not happy!!!

Vagabonde said...

I dropped to your blog from Jeanie’s blog. I’m sorry about your loss, 51 is so very young. It is getting cooler here and it’s also raining – a nice cup of hot chocolate sounds right.

Jeanie said...

I am so very sorry about the death of your cousin. It's always hard to say farewell to a beloved family member and when younger all the more sad. Wrapping you in healing wishes.

I do love your sweet deer. We had our first snow today. It won't stick, I don't think but it's very pretty. And WAY too early!

Hill Top Post said...

The loss of a loved one, especially one so young, is a stark reminder that we should live each day as though it were the last. I went over to YouTube to watch Bealtaine Cottage's last post which I enjoyed so much. Her message on slow living is one that we all could do well to embrace. I love the acorn charm - so perfect for you!

Donna said...

50 is way too young....and yes it sure makes one stop and think!
That package is wonderful and so thoughtful. My favorite is the acorn and the saying!
Hugs.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Belated condolences on your cousin’s passing, which was very sad to read about regardless of age, but 51 is too soon. The gift package looked lovely including the new oven mitt, how thoughtful. We are still waiting for a bit of snow here in Nashua, NH.