Wednesday, November 16, 2022

First snow

We got our first snow overnight Tuesday night into Wed. It was a slippery ride to work but the trip home was fine. And because we are going into the 20's tonight it will stick for a while anyway. 
The woodstove is happily humming along in the basement, so we are snug. 

Monday, I decided to gather greens in our woods and fill that basket I got at the dump and a long with the sheep my friend gave me it is looking festive for no money. 

Speaking of no money I found this framed watercolor at the dump this week. It is professionally framed but I do not see a signature. I like the subject, so I took it, and it now resides in our bathroom. It is probably worth crazy money and when I die my daughter will be on antiques roadshow telling them how I had over the toilet LOL!

My other two finds I will try the cookie stamp. I never have much luck with those. I washed it in very hot water and soap. And another M.C. Beaton this one is Agatha Raisin; I have seen the shows made from the books I hope I enjoy this as much a little zany. 

I have the baking bug and made some pumpkin bread. It is really the best bread! Husband loves it and he is not that fond of pumpkin.
You can find the recipe easy pumpkin bread here it makes two large loafs or I use the little pans and it will make 5 of those. The bread freezes fantastically. 


We have tickets to the Nutcracker ballet for the Sunday after Thanksgiving. Sweet B is excited we are taking the day to shop and lunch before it will be so nice to have a girls day. 
Husband and I have tickets to see a comedian the night before so lots to look forward to.
****
Thank you so much for the kind words about my cousin's passing.
Her poor dear husband is struggling so much I worry for him. 
But how blessed they were to have such a wonderful love.
***
Have a wonderful week!

14 comments:

Rugs and Pugs said...

The snow is so pretty...but you can keep it. No need to share.
I'm sure Miss B will love the Nutcracker. I even took my boys to see it when they were young.
Great watercolor. You really get lucky at "the dump".
LOVE the Maxine. So true...sigh.

Lady Locust said...

It's all so festive, the snow the greens with the sheep, a happy pix and baked goodies. Bet your kitchen smells good when that's baking also. Happy cozy evening💕

Julia said...

We got our first snow today and I was happy to try my snow tires on an errand of mercy for a young needy family. The snow is melting and will probably be gone by morning.

I love your greenery and that lovely sheep. No money decorations are the best. I have a cedar hedge in the back and you gave me a good idea.

Lucky finds at the dump. I read reviews on Love, Lies & Liquor and it sounds like a great mystery/detective book.

Thanks, I printed the pumpkin bread recipe. I have some pumpkin puree in my pantry. The husband would love that.

Take care, hugs,
Julia

Jennifer said...

What great finds!! Your greens in that basket look lovely:)

Anonymous said...

Just catching up. I’m so sorry for your loss. 51 is way to young. Yes the snow was very pretty and especially glad I didn’t have to go anywhere until pool tonight. Still melting. I had to laugh at the yeast error. Been there. Busy schedule coming up for you. Thank you for sharing.

Sue in Suffolk said...

I would have taken the watercolour too - my sort of art.

Over here we don't have access to things at the dump - some places have shops where people can take stuff instead of putting into a skip, but at my local one everything has to be thrown in. Sadly.

We never know if we will get snow or not and if we do probably not until January or February

Donna said...

First let me say how sorry I am for your loss. So sad, so young.
Your dump finds are wonderful.
Tha first snowfall is always the prettiest!
Hugs to you my friend.

Saundra said...

The greens in the basket looks lovely on the porch. The recipe looks wonderful and if I were to make it would add part walnuts and part chopped crystalized ginger as that sounds yummy. Just heard the weatherman say we might get snow next Thursday, but I hope not. That is a very young age to die, my first husband died at the age of 44 and I was 39.

Chatty Crone said...

The snow was beautiful. Happy pumpkin baking.

WoolenSails said...

Nice finds, and that painting is wonderful. I miss the old dump days, that is how I got my first bike.
I have an old painting, it was the first one we bought at the art festival and all I could afford, 10 dollars.
I would be happy if it stayed in the 50's, but I am sure the snow won't be long coming.

Debbie

Prims By The Water said...

I wish I lived on a farm where I could bring in fresh greens for Christmas. I so love the smell. You created a perfect display! We have had lots of snow this week, however one day it rained overnight and the snow melted. Today it has been snowing all day. We stayed inside. me for work and Bob made a fire in the afternoon, so we re nestled in after eating homemade chicken noodle soup and now watching tv. Sweet B will absolutely love the Nutcracker! I make pumpkin bread too. My mom's recipe. Hope you have a nice weekend! Janice

Barb said...

Your dump is full of treasures. I saved your pumpkin bread recipe and will try it soon. Enjoy the snow as it falls - we have it on the ground here in Breckenridge and it will just keep accumulating.

yaya said...

I love that watercolor! And free to boot..a win win! Pumpkin bread sounds wonderful and I know when Thanksgiving is over it will be all peppermint and chocolate! Your decor with the free basket is perfect. Nice job! I knew you'd do it up nice. We've had snow the last few days with more this weekend but warming up next week so it will all melt. Glad I'm not in New York! Have a good weekend and enjoy your shows coming up. I remember when my boys were young my in-laws took them to see the Nutcracker. They couldn't wait until it was over..that's boys for you! Ha!

Jeanie said...

I've never read an Agatha Raisin but I like the show a lot -- it's great fun! Let us know if you like the books. And that painting is lovely. I think it's always the artists' great fear that they will find their work in a garage sale or at goodwill or -- yes, the dump! Well, this is lovely and a good find.

We got the snow too. We were supposed to get more and must have been on a separation line because as we were watching the holiday parade on TV only a mile or two away, they were getting dumped and we didn't get much more than a few flurries. ANd MOST of our other snow, at least on the street, has gone. Weather is weird.

Enjoy the Nutcracker. I haven't been to a production in ages! (I'm baking this weekend too!)