Sunday, November 6, 2022

Day Light

I want to thank everyone who commented on my blog post about my husband. Thank you so much for the blessings and encouraging words. We are so blessed and so very thankful. 

A trip to our dump AKA recycling center. And in our dump store I found a first edition of A Tree Grows in Brooklyn.  Not bad shape either!

I also found this Rosamund Pilcher. I love this author but the print in this book would do my poor eyes in. So, I think I am going to the library to see if they have a larger print copy. 

If you have followed me for any time, you know I have a thing for magazines. Those glossy pages just call to me lol. And I love Christmas so when I open our mailbox and see these, I do a little happy dance. (Better than bills)


A local bakery put out their price sheet for their baked goods for Thanksgiving. I looked at that and said a little prayer of thanks for being able to bake whatever we need yikes! I know things are so expensive and to pay the help to help bake these things is crazy money too so maybe not that far out there. But it is enough to put me off pie and that is saying something! 

*****
We changed the clocks and as I sit here at 4:30 PM I see hot pink streaks across the sky. We can't see the actual sunset it is behind the mountains here. That is my biggest complaint about winter. I can take the cold and snow it is the darkness. The days are so short and when I work, I feel like a vampire I never really see the day. Each day will be shorter and shorter until late Dec.
A full moon tonight I hope we can see it through the clouds!
Have a great week. 



11 comments:

Rugs and Pugs said...

I, too, am a magazine junkie. I have cut back some, but I have many hundreds of magazines I have saved. I have finally decided that is beyond ridiculous, so I am slowly...very slowly...starting to go through them and have a neighbor who is very happy to get them.
Those are some crazy pie prices. Not prices I would ever pay. I do understand the business needing to raise prices, but I am too cheap, frugal, thrifty...whatever you want to call it...to pay those prices.
I despise the time change. Like you, I hate the darkness.

Deb J. in Utah said...

Those books are great finds! I'm with you, I don't like when it gets dark so early. I hope you have a good week as well.

Dicky Bird said...

I love magazines as well. Remember when...more articles than ads...
Have a great Monday

tahoegirl.blog said...

Wow, a first edition! That book shaped my life growing up poor in NY. I recently just found a paperback copy and read it for the zillionth time. What a score for you!

Saundra said...

Country Living magazine used to be one of my favorites because of the antique furniture and antique rugs in the pictures but I no longer subscribe to it. System wise I adjust to this time change much better than the spring forward. For example I've noticed that even before the time change I would get hungry earlier and sleep a little later in the morning.

JustGail said...

Nice finds on the books. I too love a good magazine. The danger is I look around my own rooms and garden areas and find them "meh" at best, "ugh!" at worst.

Winter is a love/hate thing for me. The only thing I can make a blanket statement on winter is I don't like the short daylight days. I guess I can be happy I don't live waaaay up north where daylight is even shorter.

Would I pay those prices? Maybe. If I were in charge of holding the gathering and had a bunch of cleaning and other cooking to do, especially on short notice, I'd seriously consider it.

I'm glad your DH is doing well all these years later.

Chatty Crone said...

I hadn't thought about A Tree Grows In Brooklyn for decades. I loved that story. Good finds.

Julia said...

I used to buy lots of magazines and spent so much time going through them. Magazines are addictive. I no longer buy magazines.

Oh goodness... The prices are unbelievable on those bakery items. I haven't been in a bakery in a long time. It's a good thing we can bake those things ourselves.

I'm so glad that your husband is doing so well and I hope he continues to be healthy and active.

Hugs,
Julia

Prims By The Water said...

Yes we are supposed to have a blood moon. I love the magazines...especially when the Christmas editions come in the mail! Janice

yaya said...

Yes, this time change always kills me. Some like that extra hour of sleep but I prefer a lighter in the evening time! You and I are magazine lovers for sure! I didn't get my Country Living yet but hopefully tomorrow it will be in the mailbox! That was a good score on that book that also happens to be one of my favorite old movies. I wish we had a dump! Those baked goods prices are a bit high and I'm also glad I love to bake and can make my own..or go to Sam's club and buy some! Ha! Have a good week Cathy!

Jeanie said...

You had a great haul with the books and I'm a sucker for holiday mags, too. I save them every year and review them again! I'm not a fan of the fall-back period. I never get the "extra hour of sleep," just up too early! And it's dark too early, too!