Sunday, March 3, 2024

It's March, Beware!

We have ticked over to March. Today is 60's but beware we can get some of our biggest snowstorms in this month. Just when you think spring has sprung you end up shoveling! 
Easter is early this year so I hope all the snow is gone and we can conduct our egg hunt without snow boots. 

My sweet friend and I hit the thrifts and golly did we do great!
I found this mixer and a friend of mine is gifting it to her granddaughter! 


I found these two bunnies and bird. The bunnies are on my mantle and the bird will eventually go outside to sit in one of my flower pots. total spend 6.00. 

I found 2 Made in the USA donut pans for 2.00 each. These are lovely heavy pans the same brand king Arthur Flour sells. 

A handmade lap quilt that will live on the porch in the summer for those cool summer nights. I also found 2 potholder looms I am following a woman on line who is making lovely pot holders. Crazy I know but she uses wool and old jeans. I have wool to spare and I wanted to purchase the looms cheap and cheap they were! the 2 looms 4.50 with a few loops and the lap quilt was 3.00. 
I found quite a few assorted name brand pieces of clothing! They were mostly 3.00 a piece. I always feel so excited when I can purchase great clothing to change up the wardrobe a bit for little $.

And of course if I bring things in somethings must go out! 
And if I have a donut pan I must try it out. Great success! This is one batch of chocolate donuts done 3 ways. It will be fun to make them for the holidays and when company comes. 


I potted up a few of my geraniums. It was nice enough to do it outside but I brought them in as our nights are still very cold.
They are already sprouting a bit so we shall see how they do again this year. 
****
I have been keeping track of our food spending. Jan was a stock up month and a trip to the warehouse store so that month was really really high in spending 793.67 Feb was 196.62. I would love at the end of the year to average it out to no more than 300.00 a month. But we shall see, we do not eat out much but do have a few gift certificates for local restaurants, if we go out now and then it is usually for lunch. 
I hope you are all well and not in line for that horrid weather out west. 
Have a great week! 


17 comments:

Chatty Crone said...

You did great at the sale - A kitchen aid for $30 - and it works. The donuts you made are good looking!
The weather here was so hot today it was actually miserable!
Hope your grocery spending goes well.
The prices of everything are just horrible.

Sandi said...

$30?! That's a great deal!

Rugs and Pugs said...

I knew you and your sweet friend would come home with some great goodies!
I need to follow your lead that when something comes in something must go out.
Thanks for the reminder about the geraniums. I followed your lead and have some in the basement fruit cellar.

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hello and Happy March! Wow, great thrift store finds! We love to thrift as well. $30 for that kitchen mixer is an awesome deal! The donuts you made look so delicious. I hope you have a great week! See you again soon!

Granny Marigold said...

You found some great bargains at the thrift shop!! I could have used that do-nut pan yesterday. I had a box mix for chocolate do-nuts but no pan so I made them into muffins. Which worked fine, I'm glad to say. Have a great week!!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Like yourself, Cathy, I enjoy thrift store shopping. My recent finds have been candles and the best thing is that these are disposable because once burned the glass can be recycled. We have a similar donut pan that was also a thrift store buy, but has never been used, seeing your donuts may spur me to put it to use in future. I have found some good clothing bargains at thrift stores, but am donating a few back on our next trip. We're spending a few days in N Conway this week, but no snowshoeing as the snow is gone with rain forecast the 3 days we will be there.

Marie Smith said...

It is above zero Celsius here this week and most nights are to be above zero too. We are looking forward to this weather but it is so early for these temperatures here. We will relax and enjoy what is.

kathyinozarks said...

Goodmorning, I missnot visiting good resale shops or visiting garage sales-we did allot of shopping at places like that-Great finds! Youwill love the donut pans I have a couple I bought a long time ago they are tricky to get the donuts outI think they need to cool in the pans a bit before trying to get them out.
we were 8 yesterday-warme today too but just read very strong winds t storms and hail coming this afternoon.
Happy Monday Hugs Kathy

kathyinozarks said...

ooops sorry for the typps-we were 80's yesterday

Saundra said...

I love the sweater peaking out of the top of the bag!!! Great price for that mixer although I don't use one anymore. But back in the day when I baked, I made my own bread from scratch and even made donuts from scratch, had a donut dough cutter/press and instructions were to fry them, which I did. Yours look more enticing as I only did the sugar/cinnamon and powdered sugar cover on mine.

Jeanie said...

Good grief You cleaned up at the thrifting! And wonderful finds -- I might have fought you on every single one of them so a good thing I wasn't shopping with you!

I never trust March, even though it's already 64 at almost 11 a.m.!

TheCrankyCrow said...

Wow! You found some AMAZING treasures at equally amazing prices! That Kitchenaid was a STEAL! And those donut pans! I just bought 2 exactly the same last year...but not at a thrift store. I'm curious to see your wool and denim potholders. I had one of those looms as a child and made hundreds of potholders with those loops. Sometimes I wonder what happened to all those potholders LOL. The strange weather continues here as well. We were treated to thunder and lightening and a gentle rain last night but today snow is in the forecast. Like you, some of our worst snows come in March and April although today is not anything heavy. (So "they" say.) ~Robin~

Mary, Windy Meadows Farm said...

Oh what thrifting finds - yay! And thanks for reminding me it’s time to bring out geraniums. Would you share the donut recipes please - icing too? I haven’t found one I like and my icing just isn’t good. Oh the kids would love chocolate!

Anonymous said...

I would love that print to hang up. Without the words in the middle of it lol. I love the sentiment and it’s fitting for this day here in Ohio.

Marcia said...

It's 50º as I write this but I did light the woodstove to take the chill from the living room. No snow on the ground here.

Debbie said...

you did well with your thrifting. that is a good idea, if you bring something in, something must go out. i have never made donuts, yours look amazing!!

Prims By The Water said...

Well I just spent almost $300 last Friday at the grocery store. It is ridiculous, but I know why and for anyone who knows economics like I do, this is why. Once the cost of gas goes up, then everything will need to. Its sad to think that we have to lie like this. Am hoping for a better 2025 and beyond. Our March came in like a lamb....and hopefully will go out like one. Janice