Wednesday, March 13, 2024

I Thought This Would Be Easy

 
My first potholder is done and truly I had to fix at least 5 different mistakes. how did I do this as a kid?? I will be trying yarn and wool later on. I have been watching a lot of youtube videos. 



I have had a few questions about the flower press. It is an victorian art to press flowers. they were usually pressed like this in a book. Just not with paper towels.

These are fairy roses I have in my garden in the summer. There are so many ways to use them just google pressed flower crafts and you will get lots and lots of ideas. 



I thought I would share a recipe I did tonight. 
I took fresh cauliflower and put it through the food processor to make it look rice like. Scrambled some hamburg put the two together with some seasoning topped with bacon, cheese, and green onions. 
I also put chopped lettuce and tomato on the top with chopped pickles. Such a great way to stretch hamburg and get lots of veggies.


I just wished I had thought to take a picture of it with all the toppings on it. Husband loved it and it was low carb and so tasty. 
Let me me know if anyone is interested I will post the recipe.


I am also finishing my Lady Liberty rug. I am trying it the way Michelle Palmer does it. It is a single crochet. 
****
Have a wonderful rest of your week! 

18 comments:

kathyinozarks said...

Hi You have been doing some fun things. Love your potholder, Yes I would love your recipe I think Larry would like this for something different-lately I am running out of dinner ideas.
I think pressing flowers would be fun

Saundra said...

I've seen several tutorials in class on the crochet edge with wool strips and have never done it myself. Just seems like it would be that I'd do a yucky job with all the wool ends and it would eventually just fall apart. Let us know how it goes with you.

Anonymous said...

I was good up until the pickles 🥒😂 otherwise it sounds good.
Lady Locust

Chatty Crone said...

I would like the recipe.
That pot holder was beautiful - I remember doing them as a child - but nothing nice like this!

Deb J. in Utah said...

That recipe looks great! I used to make pot holders like that when I was a child. I have pressed flowers before and it is a fun surprise to find one in a book unexpectedly. I hope your week is going well. See you again soon!

Boud said...

I've done quite a bit of flower pressing, usually forgetting which book, then later getting a surprise shower of petals. I like it a lot

Anonymous said...

Would love to see your finished lady liberty rug

Anonymous said...

I sure miss my childhood times making these potholders but i never even thought to try it again! Thanks for the idea, I just love yours. And that cauliflower scramble looks to me like a great way to make a cauliflower pizza, same kinda ingredients. Did it taste like pizza? And I will say it again YOU ARE AMAZING

Anonymous said...

You are very kind. I kept the spice to a hamburger taste but you surely could make it pizza like.
It was fun making the potholder I just need to pay better attention and not watch an Agatha Christy mystery at the same time.
Cathy
Acornhollow.blogspot.com

Rugs and Pugs said...

Looking forward to seeing Lady Liberty all finished.
That is a pretty fancy/schmantzy potholder!

Marie Smith said...

I’ve pressed flowers too. Love finding them later too.

TheCrankyCrow said...

Oh you of many, many, talents and gifts! I adore your potholder! I made sooo many potholders as a child but never thought of doing anything patterned like this. (Would have no clue how to.) I thought I was being fancy if I stuck to 2 colors like red and white...and I do remember doing a red, white and blue. The issue was the loops came in a big bag and you didn't have much choice....I had to use what I had. You're tempting me again. Your cauliflower scramble looks yummy - but, yeah, hold the pickles LOL. Yes, please, to the recipe. And she crochets too. Yikes. (So, you've finished hooking Lady Liberty? Did I miss a post of it??) ~Robin~

Prims By The Water said...

When I was young I pressed flowers in books and also made pot holders. Cannot wait to see your finished rug. Janice

Marcia said...

I have so many of those potholders that granddaughter #4 has made and given me. How did you manage that herringbone pattern? Very neat!

Barwitzki said...

Beautiful pot holder - fine weaving, as a child I often braided with paper :-) And I placed pressed flowers and blossoms between small writings, glued a frame around it and hung it in the window :-)
The real men's meal - my husband would also like it. Thank you for showing me.
Lots of love to you from Viola

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

It seems that many of us have experienced making potholders in our younger days, myself included. All are long gone and I wonder if the “loom” I used is still made today and what you used. My potholders now are cork or wood. The dinner recipe sounds unusual especially with the pickle toppping. Was it an original?

Anonymous said...

Those pot holders have brought up a lot of memories from childhood.
Cathy
Acornhollow.blogspot.com

The Happy Whisk said...

That is a great wayto stretch food, I love stuff like that. I remember those pot holders as kids. So much fun to make. Wishing you a groovy week.