Wednesday, April 19, 2023

A New Project And An Up Date

I have started a new project and it is so far outside of my wheelhouse!
The goal is to make a single quilt. 

I started gathering the wool listed on the back and it is one crazy list!
such as: Army blanket green
Army blanket green check.
Army blanket green 1st plaid.
Army blanket green 2nd plaid.
well, you get the idea, so I am playing fast and loose with the colors.



Block one all cut and pinned so far so good lol.

Annnnnd I finally finished my witch!!! All she needs when I hang her on the door at Halloween is some dowels to keep her hanging nice a straight
She is big but oh I love her!

Barely one week and we have some little leaves!
I was asked to explain how I wintered the geraniums over.
I am not an expert, but this is how I did it. I waited until late fall, and I cut them back leaving several inches of the stems. I wrapped them in newspaper and put them in a basket in the coolest closet I have (don't let them freeze) but they need to be kept cool. I know some of you used brown paper bags I say perfect! I would not use plastic. 
Spring, I bring them out and I use new potting soil each year and plant them and watch them grow! I cannot put them outside yet as we still can get a deep frost until Memorial Day. (Tonight, is one of those night. The woodstove is being lit as we speak.) 
I hope this helps. 

One of my favorite authors has a new book out. She has not written in quite a few years, so I treated myself to a brand-new hardcover. 

But first I need to finish this book.
I am a slow reader I have so many things I want to do the time gets away from me. I need to get on the audiobook bandwagon I might get more done. 
***
We are getting Sweet B for a few days I am so excited I can't stand it! Of course, the grand dog comes too but she is a good dog so that is fine. She loves coming on my walks and she is good company. 
Sweet B has already asked to do some crafts so I need to figure out just what that will be. 
Enjoy the rest of your week!

17 comments:

Saundra said...

I have that Settler's Pride pattern. I'm not fond of applique even tho I've tried it. So wrote Maggie to ask if I could hook elements of the design and she said "yes". I kept her responding email and have hooked one small section but have plans in the future to hook something else from it.
Looking forward to the adventures of Gramma and B. Your witch will be cute this fall

Prims By The Water said...

Your witch will bewitch all that see her hanging on your door. Awesome finish. Your latest project would have me in a frenzy. Not sure if I would be able to tackle such a project, but it will be a nice one once you finish. Be sure to keep us posted. Janice

Deb J. in Utah said...

The books you are reading sound so interesting. I love that witch too! Can't wait for a picture of her hanging up at your home next Halloween. Learning to make quilts is also one of my retirement goals, so I will be watching your progress. Have a good end of the week. See you again soon!

kathyinozarks said...

I think you will enjoy the wool applique quilt I always wanted to do one of those-but there are so many hours in a day
I love that author Jennifer Chiaverini I think I read all the quilt stories, I like her other novels too but she is a bit pricey for me now.
Love your witch, and fun with your grand daughter and grand dog-sounds fun!

The Happy Whisk said...

I love the witch. And that you're making a full-sized quilt.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Good luck with the quilt project and sure you will be showing your progress along the way, Cathy. The witch is perfect for next Fall and the bigger the better too! Thanks for the Kate Morton book info which I have placed on a hold at the local library. Since it is on order there, this ensures that I will be one of the first on the hold list. From the summary, I read, it sounds like a good read! So nice that your granddaughter and grand dog will be spending a visit soon!

hurdla said...

That quilt has been on my want to do list for quite some time. There’s a Facebook page that is all about this quilt. Very interesting read you might enjoy. Watch out cause it’s gonna be very heavy!! Enjoy

Marcia said...

I have enjoyed Kate Morton's books too. I'll be on the lookout for this one.

Julia said...

Bravo on finishing your Witch. She looks great.

Plants are amazing, especially Geranium. Wow, I'm impressed that they are already setting up leaves. Good luck with it.

I'm looking forward to seeing Miss B.'s craft. Enjoy the weekend with her.

I've made cotton applique quilts but never tried wool applique.

Hugs,
Julia

Jeanie said...

There's so much in this post, Cathy! Wonderful new projects (yes, that's a LOT of Army green); terrific books... you will NOT be bored!

yaya said...

Oh, the witch is fabulous! She will sparkle come October! Good luck with your quilt project. I'm sure it will be awesome. Have fun with Mias B! I bet she's as excited as you are! Have a good weekend!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the wonderful crop of geraniums! I will use your winter over method in the fall.

Nice quilt block and witch.
Thank you for the book titles to add to my summer reading list

Rugs and Pugs said...

That is an ambitious project. I have the pattern (at least I think it is that one...lol!) but am sure I won't be getting to it anytime soon.
Witchy Poo is looking good ;-)

TheCrankyCrow said...

I love big witches and I cannot lie!! She is absolutely fantastic!! Ambitious undertaking with the quilt but I am certain it, too, will be amazing. I love Maggie's designs and always played with the idea of doing one of these large projects but, heck, I can't even finish the multitude of small appliqué projects I have kitted up. I bought the new Kate Morton book too! And most of her other ones as I read "Lake House" and loved it. Have fun with your adventures with Miss B! ~Robin~ (PS...do you pull the plants out by their roots in the fall and leave them barerooted or??? I usually have my geraniums planted in big tubes with bunches of other plantings....)

Anonymous said...

Love your witch 🧙🏻‍♀️! And isn’t wool just so scrumptious and cozy? Will be fun to see your progress.
Lady Locust

Bonnie K said...

I can't wait to see how the quilt turns out. The witch is cute. Great job with the geraniums. Mine look like they made it also. Thanks for sharing.

Mary, Windy Meadows Farm said...

Thank you so much for the geranium "how-to" - I will try that in the fall. I lost the ferns I tried to overwinter...they struggled, but I wanted to try. Plants are so expensive I thought why not - again, so appreciate you walking us through your steps!