Sunday, February 5, 2023

Brrrr

As you have probably heard we had a cold snap. I had to work, and work is like a barn little heat with the wind blowing the door open every few minutes. By the time I got home on Friday I was so tired and so cold. I went right up and took a long hot shower. 
This is after I am all warm and snuggled in. 

Sat morning 20 below! We haven't been this cold in years.
And the wind was blowing nonstop which made it about 45 below zero. And yes, I had to work. 

Friday evening, we pulled all the shades and curtains to keep the heat in and we had the woodstove going. So, we were warm and luckily, we did not lose power like some in the state did. (We do have a standby generator in case though)
The windows were thick with frost. 
Our Mt Washington has the world's worst weather. Friday night into Saturday it broke records and was the coldest place on earth. Even colder than Mars! 
Mt Washington is not the tallest mountain compared to others but because of where it sits it has some of the worst weather. There is a weather team there 24/7. At one point the wind was blowing over 100mph they were averaging minus 108 with the wind chill with a temp of -47. 
Take a few seconds to watch real footage of the mountain during that storm. Turn the volume up just crazy.

On another note, I get King Arthur's flour catalog, so I saw a banana cake recipe in it. 
I had 2 bananas that were going brown so I made it, it was just ok and not a recipe I would keep to make again. 
***
The weather has changed we were in the high 20's today so I took a walk while avoiding the ice. The sun was shining it felt good to get outside in the sun again. 
Have a wonderful week!

 

12 comments:

kathyinozarks said...

I saw on facebook where it was minus 108 wind chill= I thought at first it was a mistake but saw it reported elsewhere-that is scary cold glad you had a warm home with wood heat-that's the best. hugs

Deb J. in Utah said...

Yes, I heard about Mt. Washington on the news. I am glad to hear that you did not lose power and were able to stay warm and cozy all weekend. Glad that your temperatures have warmed up a bit now. I hope you have a good week!

Saundra said...

Had a cold snap here too but not THAT cold. Your cake looks delicious even tho it may not be a favorite to make again.

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Warm banana cake and tea weather! Glad you didn't lose power. Love the socks. Stay warm

yaya said...

Holy smokes that's cold! I'm glad you still had power and that wood stove deserves an oscar for it's performance this Winter! We warmed up and will even hit the high 50's this week. It will be up and down until May probably. I remember when I was doing Covid checks and sat in the foyer of the medical center. It was Winter and every time that door opened I could scream! Jack would bring me hot chocolate every so often! Glad that's over! So take care and watch out for that ice! NO FALLS PLEASE!

Chatty Crone said...

I take it you are in Mt. Washington! YIKES THAT WAS COLD. Glad to hear you were able to get and stay warm!

Prims By The Water said...

I had heard Mt Washington broke a record over the weekend. SO glad you did not lose power. We have been making fires in our fireplace to help with our furnace. Yes the eagles do eat the ducks, but I do enjoy seeing the eagles come in when the ducks come in. Janice

TheCrankyCrow said...

That is brrr....even more brrr than Nod this time around. Funny, I had not known about Mt. Washington until this cold snap and it made the news. Fascinating place - but glad I'm not on that weather team. 🥶 I made that banana cake too and thought the exact same thing. Usually you can't go wrong with KA. ~Robin~

Rugs and Pugs said...

Now that is COLD!!! I can't even begin what is was like on Mt. Washington. Happy it did not last too long.

Dicky Bird said...

Oh wow that is some crazy wind!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

We were in the minus teens last Friday overnight, so your minus 20 beat the Nashua temp, Cathy. There has been such a dramatic change as you know and this week daytime temps are in the mid 40s with some mid 50s next week and no snow in the forecast.

Julia said...

Oh wow, that is cold. Sorry, I somehow missed this post.
We had a very cold snap with a cold wind but nothing like those temperatures at Mount Washington.

I made another batch of pumpkin bread recipe that you shared recently in one of your posts. I gave one bread to my granddaughter and shared a big piece with my son and there's only a little piece left. It's that good. It's definitely a keeper.

Now on to the next post.
Hugs,
Julia