Sunday, February 27, 2022

Things I Am trying.

Friday, we had another 8 inches of snow. Most of the winter the sun comes up where that V is but as you can see it is moving more to the left and by the time summer comes, we cannot see the sun rise from our window.  A sign of movement to spring yea! 

This tangled ugly mess is about 9 geraniums plants. Last fall I had planned to just dump them, but someone told me to take all the dirt off the roots wrap them in newspaper and put them in a cool dark place. Then bring them out and plant them again in spring. I felt I had nothing to lose so I did it. I took a look today and low and behold they are sprouting! I took a couple and planted them. When I can make it out to the shed again, I will get the big pots and get the rest going so I can replant them outside when it warms up. Who knows it may work? 

I bought some frozen hash browns for the first time ever and tried this. The secret I figured out is to thaw them out. and squeeze them out to make them as dry as possible and really, they were great!

I have been reading a lot of stuff online about not changing your sheets weekly. When husband had his bone marrow transplant, I had to change the bed daily. But I have always changed them weekly. The ick factor gets the best of me if I don't and really isn't it nice to slid into fresh clean sheets? 

But that makes lots of laundry and everything has gone up. So, every few loads I throw the measuring cup in the washer with less soap. All the soap that was clinging to the cup comes off and no waste!

I saw an ad for a free sample from this company. Because they never asked for a credit card or asked for shipping, I ordered. I cannot wait to try them it all sounds so good and free is always good.

Speaking of free we got the covid tests we ordered from the government. It was late getting here but it is here now in case we need them which I hope we never do. 

I bought some frozen French fries and there were so many little bits in the bag it was a complete waste of money. I contacted the company and gave them all the information from the bag and why I was not happy they sent me a coupon for another bag on them. I applaud them for their quick response to my issue and will try again.
I am still trying to bind my fish rug. My hands have become so dry and cracked it makes it hard to hand sew. 

We have a farmer at the end of the dirt road I walk all the time. He sells eggs and we love supporting a local farm. Yes, it is a bit more, but the eggs are fresh, and we are buying from a neighbor a plus plus for us!

I am trying to get back to my walking routine. It has been so cold that I have not walked anywhere near as much. Today bright and early out I went. I tried to get a picture of the river, but the snow had covered the ice what a lovely sound it made gurgling under the ice.
***
And I cannot close without mentioning the horror that is happening in Ukraine. There is a writer and former police officer from Bangor Maine who became famous for funny posts about a duck of justice. He wrote an article about Ukraine and no it is not about politics it is about humanity. I am going to post the link as I think truly, he has said as best as anyone I have read. I hope you take the time to read it. And as he said no matter what you think of Elon Musk he made sure that Ukraine has the world wide web to get their message out. Maybe some other big money should step up and make a difference for these people. 



9 comments:

Prims By The Water said...

Yes kudos to Elon Musk for giving them his satellite. Too bad more rich folks dont help out...most are all talk and no action. I feel so bad for the Ukrainians. Loving your rug. I have never washed my sheets weekly. Guess I just learned it from my mom and her mom. Have always been told if you live with a bit of dust it helps your immune system. I do vacuum and clean every week, just dont change the sheets. Janice

TheCrankyCrow said...

Well, you, indeed, are trying a lot of new things! I think I am most curious about how those geraniums do. My sister always used to winter hers over, but would bring the big pots indoor. I never had room for that so, each year, I start over. It would be a great alternative if they take off and don't get leggy. I have to admit I am a bit confused about the laundry thing...in the end, isn't there the same amount of detergent used?? I generally use pods so it's a non-issue, but it just puzzled me LOL. I love, love, love, fresh farm eggs...It is what I grew up with and nothing store bought is the same. They last so much longer too than store bought so worth every penny in my book. Bring on spring...and you have my sympathies on the 8" of snow. ~Robin~

Rugs and Pugs said...

First and foremost, my heart breaks for the people of Ukraine. Putin is the devil and will stop at nothing. And we can be sure that China has a stake in all of this. I have heard multiple times that he is surprised by the Ukrainian peoples' resolve and he expected them to fall quickly. God bless Elon Musk. What are the likes of Bill Gates, Jeff Bezos, etc., doing? Absolutely nothing.
Your hash brown idea looks pretty yummy. There is nothing like farm fresh eggs and they are worth the extra money not buying eggs that were laid months ago.
I, too, have received my so-called free Covid tests, but be very careful. I have heard they contain something (but I can't remember what it is) that is very dangerous. It was made in China which sends up red flags and it says "This product has not been FDA cleared or approved but has been authorized by FDA under and Emergency Use Authorization". Scary!

WoolenSails said...

I noticed the sun changing here, but it stays on my back yard longer now in the morning. We make our own french fries and I eat too many. We did not get as much snow but it all turned to ice, so impossible to walk on, the beach is easier since the snow melts as each tide comes and goes.

Debbie

Deb J. in Utah said...

I will be reading that article. Thank you for the link. So glad you have been able to get back to your walking routine. I am wintering my geraniums the same way as you are. Mine are in a box in the shed. I hope they make it because they were beautiful last summer. Have a great week.

Julia said...

I'm glad that you are walking again but it looks like you got lots of fresh snow. We got a few inches last night with wind so it's hard to say exactly how much we got but the sun is shining bright.

I always like to try new tricks with plants. Some work better than others. I'm anxious to see how your geranium will do. In the past, I've started geranium from seeds with good success.

I've been praying for a peaceful end to this senseless war. My heart breaks for the Ukrainian people and the devastation in their cities.

I used to wash my sheets weekly and then stopped but I love getting between sheets that have been dried outdoors on the line.

Take care,
Hugs, julia

Farm Girl said...

Wow! that is a lot of snow! I really love that picture of the water and the snow. I can only imagine the sound of it. At least tomorrow is March. Around here that is when we get weather!!
How nice you are walking and I love that you get fresh eggs. I miss my chickens. Fresh eggs don't stink!
My heat thing went out in my dryer. I have been drying clothes on the line on sunny days. Its early but it works and my patio is pretty warm in late afternoons.
My husband has the part on order but who knows when it will get here. I love that your plants are okay. Plant experiments are fun. My husband dug up his pepper plants and they are growing in the garage under a light and on a heat mat. They love it.
Hopefully we can get peppers earlier when they do go outside again.
Have a lovely week.

yaya said...

The article on Ukraine was wonderful. I wish I could find a good way to be of more help but for now I guess praying is all I can do. I can't believe this is happening and other countries aren't rising up to help. But then again, another world war is what we'd be facing and nuclear warfare is the bully here. So sad. Our snow has melted and I can see my daffodils poking through the dirt! Because of our woods behind us I can't see the sun until later in the morning. Your pic is lovely. I've been able to start walking with Annabelle since the snow has melted and she's done pretty good for a dog that sat in a kennel for 7 years just having puppies. Take care Cathy and enjoy your rug hooking!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Lots of good information in this post and I have been trying to catch up with fellow bloggers. years ago when we lived in VA we would buy eggs from someone we knew who raised them. We miss doing that now and we also miss seeing her as her health has declined in recent years. Clean sheets are wonderful the first night you sleep under them. My washing is weekly and unfortunately we do not have a washer or dryer in the apt but pay machines in the shared laundry rooms on each floor.