Wednesday, February 16, 2022

Quiet Mornings

I like to get up early in the mornings sometimes I catch a sunrise but mostly I like the complete quiet.

I only turn on the lights that are completely necessary. 
I get the coffee maker already before I go to bed so just a flick of a switch and I have coffee brewing. I go back to work today after my 3 days off. I like my job, but I love being home. 

I was able to walk yesterday. My same old route. The dirt road turned into mud last week from the warm temps, but we went back into the deep freeze so lots of ruts some ankle deep. The past 2 days have been so cold and lots of wind making the air temps well below zero. But in the next couple of days a warmup is coming it will be up in the 40s. A nice rest for our woodstove. 

The lines for the maple sap are just waiting for the right time to run. warm days, cool nights. Yesterday when I walked it was so cold, I could hear the trees snapping from the sap freezing in the trees. 
I am still working on my new rug another sneak peek. This is a smaller cut than I usually do but also a much smaller rug than I usually do. I am also trying to use mostly strips from my extras basket. 
 There are 5 of us that usually go to Star Island each year. We have not been together for 2 years. 3 of us went to Star last year but just not the same. There are small plans for a gathering. Not for months yet but it does my heart good to at least talk of plans. 



My sweet friend gave me an amaryllis for Christmas I think it is blooming at the perfect time. Just when you are getting a bit sick of winter and need a little lift. 
****
I have lingered enough time to hit the shower and get ready for another day. Have a wonderful day!

9 comments:

Saundra said...

Back in the day I had a job that I liked but I like retirement more, lol. Looking forward to seeing the whole new project. BTW, I recently saw on another blog, the same Fox pattern hooked by others and yours is far superior IMHO.

Julia said...

I'm not an early riser but I set my phone to wake me up early for my hour and a half prayers every morning otherwise I would gladly stay in bed until I was totally satisfied with sleeping in and I would surely become lazy.

I'm enjoying my retirement and love to be home but I always have more to do than I can do in a day.

You are a productive rug hooker and you must truly enjoy your beautiful hooking room.
I don't recall ever seeing that fox pattern but I'm looking forward t seeing more of the rug.

Seeing the maple trees all set up for the running sap sure is a great sign that spring is very near. I hope it's a good year for Maple Syrup farmers. Our temperatures are warming up. Yesterday was sunny but so cold.

Take care and enjoy your rug hooking.
Hugs, Julia

TheCrankyCrow said...

I can almost feel the quiet in the words of your post, Cathy. There is nothing quite as still as the quiet before sunrise. I do not experience it often as I am not a morning person (I guess the pull of the sun is not as strong on me as is the pull of the moon, LOL), but I do know the beauty of its peace. Beautiful amaryllis - and, you're right, they always seem to know when to bloom to make the most of their beauty. Be careful on those ruts...yikes! ~Robin~

Farm Girl said...

What a lovely peaceful morning. I would love to hear that. The sound of the sap freezing in the trees.
I love to watch the sun rise.
I hope you have a lovely day at work today. I love being at home too.

Rugs and Pugs said...

That looks like a fun rug.
The amaryllis is beautiful. Not sure why, but I did not buy one this year.

Prims By The Water said...

Since I am already working before sunrise, I dont have the luxury of looking outside right now in the mornings. Sometimes I do see the pink sky in the one window, but my windows are high up where my desk is at home. Love the little hen on your new rug. Look forward to seeing more of it. I hear Saundra from Woodland Junction is going to have another hook along. Maybe you can join in on the fun with her too! Janice

Deb J. in Utah said...

The amaryllis is lovely. I like to get up early and have a peaceful wake-up time as well. Hope the rest of your week goes well. See you again soon.

yaya said...

I always was up early for work and sometimes caught the sunrise in the summer over the hospital. Now I'm still up early with the dog! She has a funny sleep pattern we're trying to overcome but I do like seeing the sun rise over our trees. I also see wildlife that only makes an appearance early in the morning or late at night! We have temps in the 50's until tonight when the cold comes back for a couple of days and then warm again. We're giving our woodstove a little rest also! I hope the rest of the week is good with a wonderful weekend ahead!

Barb said...

I'm an early-riser, too. I like the quiet before the dawn. Those ruts in the road look like they could do damage to an ankle. We used to have a house in VT, and I remember those melt and freeze times.