Sunday, February 13, 2022

It Makes Scents

My sweet friend from Vermont sent all of us that go to Star Island together a valentine. The backing is from some of the old woven seats of the amazing rockers on their porch. I guess they sold pieces in their gift shop I missed it, but she made great use of it. 

I had a quilt block that I never did anything with. I gave it to Sweet B (my grand) and she used it to make a heart for her cousin for her birthday. She hand stitched it picked the button and filled it with lavender. She said her cousin loved it and now the whole family wants one. Lol she comes next week for a couple of days looks like we will be busy. 

I finished hooking my fish now for the binding. 

A little sneak peek of my next rug. I did a lot of tweaking to this rug pattern. It was a paper pattern and I felt it needed more. I will show you more soon. 

I think a lot about scent. Scent can be one of our earliest memories. 
I love lavender and spay liberally. My rug hooking room smells of lavender. I have dried lavender and candles. It just makes me happy to walk in and smell that. 
At Christmas we had grandparents who sent us gifts and one year one set forgot to put tags on them. My sister and I both immediately smelled our gift and told our parents it was our dad's parents. He looked at us like we had lost our minds. But everything she gave us smelled of roses. Oh, and so did she lol. 
We were little and still we associate that with her. 

I also burn a candle every night after dinner. I want to get the food smell out of the house. It makes me feel like dinner is done and cleaned up time to relax for the evening. 
Not sure anyone else feels this way but there is an awful lot of money spent on things that smell good.

Well, I will leave you with this the sun was setting, the sky was dark except for one spot the sun came through. The church steeple and the clock tower for the college was all that was shining. 
***
Super bowl Sunday I am going to make homemade pizza. I am tired of paying 11.00 for a small cheese pizza! Oh, the prices but that is another post. 
Our wonderful Patriots are not in the game, but we will still watch. 
Have a wonderful week!

12 comments:

Saundra said...

Your fish and water colors are terrific and can't wait to see your new project. You've had fox on the brain lately.
I LOVE English Lavender and haven't seen the spray but the only soap I use to bathe with is English Lavender. And seems I immediately fall asleep is I spritz my pillow with the scent of it.

Prims By The Water said...

How fun to receive a valentine and so nice that sweet B made one fore her cousin. We sell lots of candles at our gift shop. They are right by the door and most everyone who walks in says it smells so pretty in there. I made coconut shrimp, tater tot appetizer and hot wings for the Super Bowl game. I love making a home made pizza. Sometimes I even use pita bread or the crust. We are hoping LA wins because Stafford was our Lions quarterback for 12 yrs before he went to LA. Janice

Julia said...

Happy Valentine Day. A cute little valentine made by Miss B. and good use of the quilt block. Yay, your big fish rug looks great. The lavender scent is one of my favorite. It has a calming effect. I used to burn scented candles a lot but somehow I only use them occasionally lately.

Take care and have a great Valentine's Day. ❤️

HUgs, Julia

WoolenSails said...

Wonderful hearts and Miss B, did a wonderful job with hers.
I use lavender oil after a shower. I cannot wear perfumes so it is a way I can wear a nice scent.
I also use candles, one in the bathroom and now I burn one when the chimney smoke from the neighbors gets bad, it really takes away the smoky scent.

Debbie

Farm Girl said...

Oh yes, smells can change the way I feel. I think that is nice to be able to tell who someone is by the fragrance. I love that Valentine that Miss B made for her cousin. How sweet that her other cousins want one. What a nice thing to do.
I really like your trout rug. Trout right? I love your little fox too. I am really enjoying hooking again.
I always make homemade pizza. Its taken me years, but I think I finally arrived with my family said they liked mine best.
I hope you have a lovely week.

Dicky Bird said...

I get the "scent" of it for sure! I came in the other day from doing chores and when I opened the door, I was hit with the smell that reminded me of early mornings at my grandma's - bacon...ahahah. Cute pillow she made, I can see why others want some. Love your fish, the fox is looking great too. Our Packers weren't in it either, but we watched. Have a good week.

kcmrugs@gmail.com said...

I love your fish rug! Super! I burn candles every day of spring, fall and winter. I make my own now which saves a bit.

Rugs and Pugs said...

Happy Valentine's Day!

TheCrankyCrow said...

Oh...I love that sweet little heart from your friend. Is it punched? Or hooked?? What a clever - and memorable - way to finish it. Your rug turned out wonderfully. I love the background...it truly does evoke the feeling of deep cool lake. And, oh yeah...I totally get the "scent" thing. One whiff of fresh lilacs and I am immediately transported back in time to where I grew up... The entire yard was covered in lilac bushes and the smell was intoxicating. Beautiful photo of the sun on the church spire! ~Robin~

yaya said...

I love lavender and find it's so soothing. I'm not a fan of the smell of rose unless it's on a real flower! However, memories are made from what we smelled as kids...like homemade bread, fresh mowed lawns, suntan lotion and chlorine! I have to say I did laugh when you said you "hooked a fish"!

Jeanie said...

What a lovely gift from your Vermont friend and so very personal and meaningful. It's really beautiful. And your granddaughter's heart is especially lovely. I wish I could do fragrance -- there are few I can. But I'm sure you home smells so fragrant with lavender!

Olde Dame Holly said...

I love lavender, too. And roses! Sweet B sure is a clever girl, that heart is adorable as a scented mini-pillow!