Sunday, August 11, 2024

Summer Days

We pulled the kayaks out for a few hours paddle on a pond very close by. 

We watched these 3 loons who were very vocal when we first got on the water. One of these loons is a new baby that just got its adult feathers. They were teaching it diving. I could sit for hours watching them. One took off and circled around and landed. They are large birds, so they are not comfortable out of the water. The landing was a bit rough lol. 

And the waterlilies were not blooming yet. It was a nice late afternoon paddle.
Sat we headed to Waterville Valley NH about 40 minutes from us.
When my daughter was young in the winter, I was up there a lot, but I had not been up there in many years. It is basically a ski resort but lots of hiking and other things to do in the summer. Well, we went to see a laser show. It was not worth the wait, but we had a good time anyway.  

My tomatoes are starting to ripen so I made a tomato pie.
Wow! it was so good if I do say so myself. I used lard in the crust just like my grandmother used to (It would be her birthday today). It was tasty and flaky. 

And I made a banana bread. I had a few frozen bananas to use up.
Can you tell we have had just the most wonderful weather lately.

I had some credit built up at the bookstore so I could purchase this book for 3.99. what a wonderful read it is so far!
****
I am having a few women over for drinks and appetizers Tuesday evening. 
and there are a few other fun things in the works. 
Have a wonderful week!



11 comments:

Lauren said...

Your little kayak trip looks so calming and peaceful.
I wish I enjoyed baking, but do not! Your food always looks so yummy.
Enjoy your friend time 😊
Rugs and Pugs

kathyinozarks said...

Sounds nice getting out and about. I love lard for pie crusts-learned from my Grandma Happy new week

yaya said...

Your weather is like ours..cool and no humidity! I know it can't last but I'm enjoying every second of it! Your tomato pie looks amazing. My sister makes tomato pies but I never have. I just might have to start since my tomatoes are going great guns right now. I'll be making some sauce tomorrow. That kayak trip on the pond looks very peaceful and lovely. I hope your back is better. My hubby is a Chiropractor..the best around, Ha! To bad you're far away, he could help you but I'm sure you'll find relief from the one you have by you. Have a good week. You sound like you have some fun times ahead!

Granny Marigold said...

Being out on the water in your kayaks and having loons not that far away sounds so very enjoyable.
I made a tomato pie today too. I was lazy and just thawed Tenderflake Puff pastry.

Marie Smith said...

I have never had tomato pie. It looks delicious. We have been enjoying produce from the garden too.

Saundra said...

I've never had or made tomato pie except for pizza with sauce, lol. It has been a while since I've made banana nut bread but do love to eat it. Will have to start saving over ripe bananas.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

We had kayaks when we lived in NJ and VA and do miss them to a certain point but my husband's shoulder pains would make it difficult for him to maneuver one now.

Debbie said...

i got ONE tomato so far this year and i am NOT happy about it!! my garden did not have a good year!! it is still hot here at the jersey shore but no humidity, which is really nice!!

Prims By The Water said...

Aah the lazy days of Summer. I love the Loons and the Trumpeter Swans here. I have never kayaked but looks fun. Janice

TheCrankyCrow said...

I wish I could kayak (not a possibility with my back issues and stenosis) - it looks so perfectly peaceful. I had a single loon hanging out at my little part of the lake when I was there last. I tried to get a decent photo but between the light (looking into it) and the choppy water, I couldn't. It wasn't very vocal though unfortunately. Is there any other way to make a pie crust LOL? I've never had a tomato pie...never even heard of one until now. I'm surprised my mum didn't make them as she was the queen of pies and there was nothing she loved better than tomatoes. I'll have to look at that book...I sure wish my lbs gave credits. Mostly, though, I buy my books on Amazon. Wish I had a could place to "recycle" them. My neighbor does read most of the ones I have gotten, but then returns them and, well, they do stack up. Wish I could do Kindle or something but gotta have a real book in my hands. Enjoy your gf time! ~Robin~

Jeanie said...

I would love to see a loon, I love them! And that tomato pie looks to die for!