Sunday, August 6, 2023

Where Do I start???

I will start with a trip to Castle in the Clouds in Tuftonboro NH.
I have shown this castle many times from my trips there so I will not go into it one more time. A beautiful day and free tickets from the library. I met my daughter and Grand and we took a tour.

My grand is an old soul she loved every bit of it. Then we traveled to Wolfeboro NH for an afternoon of lunching by the lake and shopping in all the little local stops. Just a perfect day!

My flowers have been very busy. 

Butterflies...

And bees, so nice to see pollinators. 

As you know we are putting a shower in our half bath on the main floor. That meant we took the closet from our tiny front hallway for the shower in the bathroom. I spent a few days painting and cleaning up. I will tell you this I am a horrid painter! I had to keep going back to touch up places I missed.
And in between all of this I had a birthday. Sat we headed out early for a day of shopping lunching and whatever struck my fancy. 

Early evening, we met up with my daughter and family and her in laws for the annual Jackson bridge dance. One of my favorite activities of the summer. Her father-in-law laid out quite the spread! They gave me a cake and sang to me. 

And oh what a dance it was. This band plays a lot of everything. 

And they filled that bridge! We danced and laughed it was perfect!
My daughter and son-in-law think there has been a change in me since my retirement. I asked husband and he said yes there is a relaxed air around you now. I will say I didn't know I was so stressed in my job I now know I was, and I always felt that I was missing out on life with my schedule. 
That ends my birthday, and it was perfect I got a gift of wonderful items that make baking bread an event. Lovely baskets made to raise the bread in and special cutters to make fancy designs. Now I can't wait to start making bread. I also got beautiful note cards and more I do have lots of thank you cards to write. 
This morning I saw this lone turkey come strolling through the yard. 
We haven't seen the bear in a while thankfully.
I heard that the sunset the other night was the last time we would have the sunset after 8pm until 2024. That is my biggest complaint about winter is the darkness. But there is still lots of summer to enjoy.
****
One of my mother's sisters died last week she was in her 90's and had broken her hip and was not comfortable at all. They are having services Down East Maine in a couple of weeks. Husband and I are going to make the trip with a stop at my cousins to stay over. 
I am glad to be able to see family even for this sad reason.
Have a wonderful week!






16 comments:

Saundra said...

You had a whirlwind week of enjoyment. Happy Birthday.

Farm Girl said...

What a nice birthday! Happy Belated birthday. I didn't know you retired either. How nice. I am so glad you did!
My husband keeps talking about it. I am sure the stress level would go way down here too.
Your garden and everything is lovely and so is the dance.
So sorry about your Mom's sister. But she is out of pain.
My sister fell and broke her hip, and she is in so much pain now.
She is my youngest sister and is only 61 having a birthday this week too.
I hope you have a lovely Sunday.

Rugs and Pugs said...

I am so happy to hear you are enjoying retirement and making the best of it. It's great, isn't it? I am approaching 7 years and have enjoyed every day of it!!!
Happy belated birthday ;-)
So sorry to hear about your aunt, but she had a full life. So often, a broken hip is the beginning of the end for an elderly person.
Keep on enjoying retirement!!!

The Happy Whisk said...

looks like a wonderful time.

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Happy Birthday!
I am glad you had such a wonderful time.

Sorry about your loss

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Belated Happy 🎂Birthday wishes to you, Cathy, and it certainly looks like you had a wonderful celebration on the Jackson Bridge. We have also visited Castle in the Clouds several years ago and like your granddaughter we enjoyed it very much, especially the view!

Marie Smith said...

Belated birthday wishes. It sounds like you had a wonderful time.

I am glad a turkey has replaced the bear.

Sorry to hear about your aunt. I hope you have a safe journey to the funeral.

Mary, Windy Meadows Farm said...

Happy Happy Birthday - it looks like you had lots of fun! Can't wait to see your bread creations. I know the trip will be a sad one...take care along the way.

TheCrankyCrow said...

Wishing you the very happiest of (belated) birthday wishes! It sounds like it was lovely. So wonderful to be celebrated once in a while . And, yes...definitely - there is a change in you. I feel the easier spirit in your blogs - so uplifted and joyous. That is what retirement SHOULD be. Glad you found that peace and joy. Have fun with your new lame. I haven't baked bread in a while. I need to get back to it. ~Robin~

Prims By The Water said...

How fun to have a party at the bridge.. Happy belated birthday! Yes being retired is probably relaxing indeed. Cannot wait to see your bath redo. We took out our tub and added a shower and love it. We even added a bench seat. Janice

Bonnie K said...

Wow! What a lot of fun adventures. Love the castle and the bridge dance is right up my alley! Happy birthday! I never understand why people are afraid to retire. It is a new adventure. I'm glad you are enjoying it! Thanks for sharing all of the fun.

Jeanie said...

that sounds like a wonderful birthday with your family. The good thing about retirement (of many) is that you can go somewhere in the middle of the week and not either feel guilty or have to make up the time. I love that your husband has noticed the change in you since you retired. Relaxed is a good word! I'm just sad that the fun week was tempered by news of the death of your aunt but it sounds like a long life. It will be nice to see family at the memorial.

Happy Birthday!

Julia said...

HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY Cathy. Retirement really agrees with you. What fun it must have been dancing under the covered bridge with family and friends. You must feel loved. I believe that you have a lot more enjoyable moments coming your way.

Take care.
Hugs
Julia

acorn hollow said...

I am very blessed and yes retirement has been very fun so far
Cathy

acorn hollow said...

Thank you for the birthday wishes.
Yes the funeral will bring back wonderful memories
Cathy

yaya said...

Happy Birthday Cathy! Sounds like it was a perfect celebration and I'm sure you are more relaxed! I'm glad retirement is working out so good! I'm sorry for the loss of your Aunt but hope it all goes well and you can catch up with family. We'll be taking a trip in the middle of September to Salem, Ma and then up to Maine. We should meet up for lunch on our way north! I've never been to Maine and I'm looking forward to a new adventure. Yes, I hate when it's dark in the AM and PM. I love driving to work when I can see the scenery! However, I'm still thinking it might be time to also really retire soon! Time will tell! Love all your flowers and your home look very pretty. I'm in the middle of a million projects now and feel stressed trying to get it all done before family comes to visit in October! Have a good week Cathy!