Wednesday, August 16, 2023

August

The morning sun after a rainy night. 

We have had chilly mornings so I wrap up in a shawl and have coffee on the porch anyway. The days are getting short on how many more mornings I have to have coffee out on the porch in the mornings. 

I am getting a handful of blueberries a day. Trying to get them early before the birds and bears beat me to them.
Lately I have gotten a few new cookbooks at our local dump.
So far this is the only recipe I have tried. I marinated chicken in it, and it was delicious! Tarragon is one of my favorite herbs.


I have two more blocks done to my quilt. 

There are lots of mistakes and I am playing fast and loose with colors.
Now on to block 6. I plan on using this quilt when it is done. 

I would like to say that August is slowly slipping by but truly it is going by faster every day.
***
So, the devil returned my favorite chopping knife in the most unusual place ever. Truly I was shocked, and I can't think I would have put it there. It was among the wooden spoons I keep on my counter in a container and the blade was straight up! I use those spoons all the time but when I was looking for a particular spoon and spun the container yikes!
Thanks for some of the laughs on where the devil put your things. 
****
Our grand dog is still here until Friday. 
Tomorrow night I am meeting my sweet friend for a night at the summer theater.
Have a wonderful rest of your week. 






10 comments:

yaya said...

Your first photo is beautiful! I love to catch the sun streaming through the trees. Our berries are done and gone. We didn't get as many as last year but I have enough for a couple of pies or muffins. Your posts make me smile because they sound relaxed and fun like someone who's retired and enjoying it! Our weather has been humid, rainy, cool, sunny...except for snow I think we've had it all! Enjoy your day Cathy!

Marie Smith said...

The quilt will be lovely. I always smile when you mention bears. I hope they leave your berries alone.

Rugs and Pugs said...

August is passing much too quickly, but any more, every month does...except for the cold, wintery ones.
So happy you did not stab yourself with the knife.
Quilt is looking good!!!

Granny Marigold said...

Great picture of the sunbeams coming through the trees.A misplaced knife, especially when put back with the blade up, can be dangerous. Good thing you didn't grab it.

Kay G. said...

I love that quote you have given us at the beginning of your post, it is just right with your writing. I bet your blueberries are so good! I love them. x

Prims By The Water said...

Yikes on where you found that knife. Quilt looking good! Still humid here even after the storms rolled by this afternoon. Janice

TheCrankyCrow said...

Yes, August is usually that lingering, but bittersweet, month where we anticipate the beauty of what to come but can't but think it is the last of summer...yet, this year, the month seems to have just flown by. I wrote a check yesterday and had written the 7th and when I paused and actually asked the date and was told the 16th, I was dumfounded. I have a weakness for cookbooks but have run plum out of room. The last I rescued from a garage sale still haven't found a home where they are easily accessible. We had a fast and furious (and completely unexpected) storm roll through late last night. Such horrible winds all day I should have known something foul was afoot. We did get a bit of needed rain and today, again, was windy...and very, very, cool. Unfortunately, the smoke has returned as well. Happy weekend-to-be. ~Robin~

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Glad the errant knife has been found and that you did not suffer an injury as it was blade up, Cathy. The fresh blueberries look good and glad you beat the birds to them. The chicken marinade looks good too😋and simple is my favorite.

Jeanie said...

I do not agree with that poet about August being slow! It is FLYING by -- far too fast for this girl! Love your beautiful quilt and three cheers to the devil for returning your knife!

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

The quilt motif is gorgeous, a real cozy by the fire vibe.
Glad you found your knife before it found you.