Sunday, August 20, 2023

A Long Trip


The drive Friday was so horrid it was pouring!! and I mean pouring!!
Because of the amount of traffic and the trailer trucks it was as bad as any snowstorm I have I ever driven in. The spray from the vehicles and the ponding on the road was horrendous. But we made it a little over 3 hours to my cousin's house where we stayed the night. 
The next morning up and out early for another 3 plus hours' drive to my dear aunt's funeral.


We arrived at the cemetery a bit early so my husband and I took a walk around this very old cemetery. 
This fencing intrigued me to no end I have never seen anything like it and I loved it!

Each fence post looked like a tree branch with a vine running up it. 

And the corner posts were larger tree branches painted green or were they copper not sure.

It was all very thick old Iron. So pretty and it stood the test of time. 



I know this is a newish, but it looks like an old grinding stone a creative headstone. 

This stone was in the fenced enclosure.  In case Emily forgot which way to go they had a finger pointing up with the word hope. 
Some of the stone reads:
In good hope in heaven and charity towards all of her fellow creatures
She was 48 years old. 

Benjamin Foster 
Born 1793 died 1869
He was 76 a ripe old age at that time. 


This is John D.
Son of 
John and Lydia Kilby
Died of Cholera in Bangor Me. 
23years and 21 days old.
Sept 1849
Cholera comes from contaminated water and is easily cured now. But there are only a handful of cased a year in the US now days but then it was deadly. 

This is Jane, John's sister he would have been 
7 when she passed in 1835 at 11 years old it does not 
say how she passed. Such a sad family but I think not unusual at that time. 
I took lots and lots of pictures of beautiful stones and sad sinking stones. It makes me sad to see these stones in that state. 


And a very large maple tree. My mother always said you will find the best trees in a cemetery they are filled with old souls. 


So, we started the long trip home of 6 plus hours. 
This is not a great picture we were moving but in this little town in Maine they had lined both sides of the road with American flags and signs with the pledge of allegiance with the flags. So, as you drove by there were a few words on each sign so you could read it or say it as you drove by.  Such a lovely sight! 
****
I wish I had more time to take pictures and see more of that area again. I spent lovely summers at my grandparents in that area as a child . 
But my husband was tired and not feeling well so we made the trip home with no side trips. The colors were starting to show and the weather there was crisp and clean. This is the state where the Christmas tree grows so lots of lovely balsams. And this part of Maine is soooo very different than the southern part. So much calmer and lovelier with rocky beaches and cliffs. 
****
I started my next quilt block and I have some cleaning to do
Have a great week!

11 comments:

Saundra said...

I agree that fencing was awesome. Even made me think the purpose was to display a 'family tree' effect by that design. Not sure I'd have been as aware of that when approaching as you were. Hope your husband is feeling better. I suspect it was the stress of driving under the conditions plus an unhappy celebration which contributed. Am glad you're home but happy you had a chance to say 'goodbye'

WoolenSails said...

I'm sorry to hear about your aunt. I love old cemetaries and have never seen one like that, beautiful place to rest. You have been busy, catching up on your past posts to see what you have been up to. I really hope we can get a trip up north after the holiday, will be much nicer without the crowds.

Debbie

Pam said...

I am so sorry for your loss. Prayers for comfort, for you.

I love old cemeteries! So peaceful and charming. True, a bit sad.

Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Grace ad Peace,
Pam

Granny Marigold said...

What a relief you must have felt to arrive safely after your scary drive in the rain storm. Fortunately the trip back was more peaceful even though your husband wasn't feeling well.
Have a good week.

Marie Smith said...

Not an easy trip but a lovely expression of family to do so.

Julia said...

My condolences for the loss of your dear aunt and I'm glad that you made it home safely. I hope David is feeling better after some rest. Driving in heavy rain is very stressful.

I got caught in a very heavy downpour on the Vanier Hyway on my way to uptown a few days ago but when I got to my destination, the parking lot was dry. I went in to do my purchase and returned home and it was raining even heavier on the Vanier Highway. Go figure... It was difficult to see ahead, and I had to slow down in the heavy traffic.

Hugs, Julia

TheCrankyCrow said...

Old cemeteries are one of my very places to be and this one where your aunt rests looks like a beautiful one. You found some amazing stones. They are works of art in themselves - and then the stories of the lives they mark. Fascinating and humbling all at the same time. It does not sound like a pleasant trip...car travel is not as easy for me as it once was...and I hate driving in torrential rain. Glad you made it there and back safely. ~Robin~

Prims By The Water said...

I love the old cemetery headstones. Such history in the old ones. Here in Michigan you can only have flat ones now, so the grass mowers can just go over them. Most now sink in the ground sooner. Such a shame. What a tribute with the flags. I read that New Hampshire had two drownings lately. Such a shame. Glad you made it there safe to the funeral and home as well. A long drive for sure. Janice

yaya said...

I'm so sorry for the loss of your Aunt. I'm glad you were able to make the funeral and I truly know how you feel about driving in downpours. We had one last week and Jack was driving. If it were me I would have pulled over and not moved until it stopped! So scary. As you know I love taking our dog for walks in the cemetery in town and your Mom was right about the trees. They always are so pretty there and are the first to turn color in the Fall. In a month we'll be heading out for Salem and then up to Maine. I'll let you know if there is any chance of meeting you for lunch or something. Take care Cathy!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

My condolences on the passing of your aunt, Cathy, and that was a very long ride. I also read old headstones and it is sad to read of the deaths of so many young people. The writings on the old headstones tell so much more then ones do today.

Rugs and Pugs said...

I hope hubby is feeling better.
How I love old cemeteries. The headstones are so intriguing.
So sorry about your aunt.