Thursday, May 4, 2023

Who's Counting?

Week 3 and the germaniums are coming right along. 
We have had so much cold and rain, but good weather is on the way!
I hope to get them outside at some point.

We have had lots of flooding from the rain. This is the Pemigewasset River it is over its banks. (It is behind where I work) Which happens with long periods of rain.
I now have a head cold! Trying to stay out of my husband's way he and his brother are selling at the vintage fair this weekend. His brother and wife will stay with us Friday and Saturday. It is always a busy fun weekend. They are supposed to have wonderful weather after all this rain. So, I hope they sell sell sell!
*** 
I called Social Security on Monday to find out why I haven't heard about my application for part B. They never got it! So, I quickly get work to sign the paperwork saying I have full insurance (again) as I am over the open enrollment period. And I drove that paperwork right up to the office. She was able to do it right then and there so all signed up! Now to get the other parts. Work was very generous and said I could continue to work as long as I need to. I thanked them but I need to get on with this retirement thing! Lately there have been a few deaths not in our close circle of friends but people we know that are not that much older than we are. Boy would I be mad if I dropped dead before I got to enjoy retirement! 15 more working days but who's is counting?



12 comments:

Saundra said...

Worrying about dying before retirement is exactly why I chose early retirement and so glad I did. But back then I think early retirement was like 60. But frankly I retired at 55 after moving from Maryland to Delaware and figured I'd get a job once the house was settled. UH. I stayed retired until the early retirement. ENJOY!!!!!

Rugs and Pugs said...

Don't even think about not retiring!!! People my age and younger dying was one of the main reasons I retired a bit earlier than I should have. Plus my boss was not the nicest person to work for and sometimes you just have to cry UNCLE! Other than financial, it was the best decision for me, but hey, I make do with what I have. No regrets.
WOW! Saundra has been retired for over 25 years. That we should be so lucky ;-)

Prims By The Water said...

This is the reason why we are selling our antique store. So many friends and family passing away. Hope the river subsides. Glad you were able to get your insurance straigtened out too. Janice

Julia said...

I'm really impressed with your geranium. You are doing a great job taking care of it.

You'll love retirement. Fifteen days will be here in no time. HAPPY RETIREMENT...
but I'm still working in the office, just not getting paid for it.

Hugs,
Julia


kathyinozarks said...

Yes retire! I had friends at work (the phone co) and many were working to get to 40 years of work-why? most all of them lost their spouses soon after retirement-so sad.
I think I was in my mid 50's when I retired with 25 years of service-enough to get all the retirement benefits from work-
we finally have rain coming in tonight if it doesn't pass us by again. but jumps into the 90's over the weekend-crazy Missouri weather haha I am Not wanting 90's already.
Hugs Kathy

Dicky Bird said...

Yes, my husband works in a factory, I can NOT tell you how many over 65 have died.
They kept working instead of ejoying retirement. He has plans to retire as soon as he can - their examples caused us to add as much to his 401K that we could for years. I hope they have great sales!

TheCrankyCrow said...

Yay for you!! 15 days will fly by...and, I've never heard anyone say they wished they had worked longer/more (well, perhaps this new generation might eventually regret the lack of work ethic so many are displaying...one can hope but I'm not holding my breath LOL). The geraniums are looking great! Another gloomy, rainy, cool day here. I don't remember what the sun even looks like. Hope you get over that cold quickly! ~Robin~

hurdla said...

All I can say is Retirement is all it’s cracked up to be! Do it. I retired at 63 to take care of my wounded warrior son and haven’t regretted a minute of it. He’s good now and so is life in the fast lane, as I call it, because there doesn’t seem to be enough time for anything now that I’m retired. Don’t know how I ever did it before and worked 48-50 hours a week! You’ll be glad you did!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Yes, to retirement, Cathy, and glad to read that you were able to get the SS paperwork sorted out without any penalty attached. My husband and I both retired in our early 50s and have never regretted doing so. It's nice to know that the bookshop will let you be flexible so that you can still possibly work part-time or perhaps find other opportunities, even non-paying volunteer ones.

Rugs and Pugs said...

As I've told you countless times, retirement is THE BEST!!!

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Happy Retirement!
Prayers for everyone's good health, and big sales!

Mary, Windy Meadows Farm said...

Wow, those geraniums are looking terrific! Sorry you're under the weather...take care of yourself and put your feet up, hope you're feeling better soon, Mary