Sunday, May 21, 2023

?

The tree in my header is blooming in all its glory!

It makes the whole yard smell and look amazing!

Our lilacs are in bloom too one of my favorites.

Johnny Jump Ups tend to jump up everywhere! 

And the begonia my daughter gave me last year wintered over and is blooming again. 

Remember I told you husband brought home a jewelry box full of junk and broken jeweler? Well, this was in it and have been looking at it not sure if it is crystal, but it reflects the light so wonderfully, I just love it. I looked at it and thought it is so out of date, but I am wearing it anyway who cares!? I had sparkles of light all around me all day made me smile. Something I don't do much at work anymore ugg.

A friend who I worked with retired several years ago. Then she moved to Maine. We have stayed in contact over the years. She sent me a retirement gift! A very big gift certificate to king Arthur Flour and this serving dish made by a well-known potter in her area! First, I was speechless and then I sat down and had a good cry. Not totally sure why but work has been extremely stressful, and it was nice to be remembered. First, they were shocked I was leaving and now they are downright mad about it. I think they are more than shocked about the workload. I just did it and if I tried to get help there was always an excuse, so if I needed it done I did it. And they have no one lined up to take my job! They are in huge trouble, and they know it. We support developmentally handicapped adults in the job, so it is not just a bookstore. And I have complained about this way too much! Last time I promise! 
I spent the week with horrid back pain. I walked bent over like a question mark most of the week. I have had back pain before but nothing that lasts, and I always usually know what caused it this time I don't know? Stress, I guess. 

 
I am done my challenge stitching project I will show it when we all gather at Donna's for our "Summer Camp" at the beach in June. A few days at the beach with girlfriends and wine! Who could ask for more?  
I am almost done the 2nd block I was stitching so now to cut out and get going on #3. 
****
Husband and I had dinner with Pam Bartlett and her husband this week she hosts the ATHA rug camp I am going to in October so it got me excited and thinking about what I will work on. I have Michelle Palmer for a teacher. I have never had her before and I am very excited to meet her and get hooking. I have lots of fun things to look forward to my grand is moving up to middle school. Not sure how that happened? And she has a dance recital with her toe shoes this year all very exciting.  
****
Have a wonderful week!

12 comments:

Jeanie said...

Oh, I'd wear that too -- it's very pretty. And delightfully vintage, which I love. That tree looks like a slice of heaven fell into your yard! So many lovely things here, Cathy. (And a fun gift from a friend -- that's a great one!)

Julia said...

Your blooming tree looks beautiful. My crabapple tree is all in buds and is loaded with blooms but I noticed, the bees are not as plentiful as last year. I have heard others saying they had no bees. I've seen some but very few. This is scary as the bees pollinate our fruits and berries and many other vegetables like cucumbers, squash, peas, beans, etc.

You can always bring the necklace to your jewelry for assessment. They should be able to tell if they are glass or crystal. Crystal is heavier than glass. If you like it, wear it. I'm sure you'll get more retirement gifts from thoughtful friends. The bookstore owner has taken you for granted and is still taking you for granted. You have given plenty of notice ahead of retirement. Don't feel bad.
Happy retirement.
Hugs, Julia


Saundra said...

You gave them ample time to post ads and do interviews so you should feel no guilt. Bet it will be you with the last laugh when they need to hire two people to do the job you were doing.
Michele Palmer does beautiful work and while I really do like her rugs and designs those aren't really the colors I work with...guess you've noticed, lol.

Bonnie K said...

Congratulations on retirement. Your friend that is in Maine reminds me of a friend of mine. She gave me some amazing gifts when I turned 50. I am still overwhelmed by her generosity. I love the necklace. Please don't feel guilty for moving forward with your life. They will figure it out and maybe learn a lesson while doing so. Thank you for posting the pictures of your tree. It is fabulous.

yaya said...

Retirement is an invitation to do amazing things...like whatever you want! Over the years I've noticed that when nurses would leave for whatever reasons, life went on. Yes they would be missed but the spot always got filled and life went on. Your work place will surely be hurting but they knew this day was coming and it's just crazy that they are mad! Enjoy this time of your life. You'll wonder how you ever had time to work! Ha! I wish we lived closer..my hubby is an amazing Chiropractor and would have you going from a ? to a ! in no time! Take care and keep counting those days to the finish line!

Rugs and Pugs said...

So you are returning to Star? Yeah for you!!! Michelle Palmer has gotten to be so popular and in demand. I know her class at the one camp in Ohio filled up in a nanosecond!
Too bad work never listened to your concerns. They are going to learn the hard way. Oh well, oh hell ;-)
Johnny jump ups were a favorite of my mom's. Whenever I have gotten them, they have never returned for me.

Deb J. in Utah said...

Congratulations on your retirement. When the job gets to be more stress than it is worth, it's time to go. I am almost there some days at school, but I need to keep plugging away until I am 65 and can get on Medicare. The plan is that I will work for three more school years, but I will be 65 in about 18 months, and after that, I will go whenever the stress gets to be too much. Enjoy having some more time to do the wonderful things you want to do. Have a good week!

kathyinozarks said...

So sorry about your work place-they should be happy for you, not acting out like this-please don't give that a second thought-retirement is a gift for us to enjoy our last years, they should be planning a little party for you instead.
I love your necklace find-so pretty. What an awesome retirement gift from your friend-enjoy.
when is your last day at work-hope soon
Hugs Kathy

Marcia said...

You will enjoy retirement. And be amazed at how fast you fill up your time.

TheCrankyCrow said...

I think I know you well enough to know that there is a part of you that hurts knowing the bookstore and those who it helps will be scrambling and in chaos when you leave...but you've served them well and nothing would change even if your relented and stayed "another month"...or two...or three. It would just delay what they have been unwilling to face. Your tree in bloom is gorgeous. My flowering crab is in full bloom and I look at in complete amazement - I don't remember it getting so large. Lilacs are my very favorite and I check mine daily, but no blooms yet. They are also sparse this year - as are the johnny jump-up's. I used to have them coming up absolutely everywhere and now they are few and far between. Wonderfully thoughtful gift from your friend. ~Robin~

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

You deserve dparkles in your life. It is a beautiful crystal necklace!
Stress is horrid on the body, an unwelcome guest that won't stay out if the fridge. It tenses up the mind and body muscles.
Beautiful gift. Tears of appreciation are good tears.

Prims By The Water said...

You worked hard enough to enjoy your life now. It is up to them now to decide how to move forward. The sparkle on your necklace is whay you should be feeling now that you are retired. You go girl! Janice