Wednesday, July 1, 2026

Steamy Heat


Sunset last night. 


A steamy start this morning. We got rain overnight, so my rain barrel is nice and full again for deep watering tomorrow.


Deer GRRR!


We have a house guest until after the 4th. She likes the chair as she is right under the ceiling fan. I don't blame her; it is so hot, and hotter still tomorrow. I don't do well in the heat, I never have. So I am hiding out in our bedroom until it is over (the only air-conditioned room).
Stay cool, everyone.

12 comments:

Granny Marigold said...

It's no fun at all when it's too hot. At least you have A/C in your bedroom so you can sleep at night ( and escape there during the day.) I didn't realize deer ate hostas 😖

Mary and Chris said...

It looks like, despite the heat, you have two wonderful companions, the dog and the air conditioning.I hope they both keep you good company and that the heatwave passes quickly. I'm wishing for the same! Every time our little one asks to listen to Christmas songs, I find myself counting down the days until winter.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Steamy is the right word for this heat wave, but oddly enough while I'm not at all fond of such high temps, they remind me of our years on the VA eastern shore when many summer days, the local radio station gave the heat index for the day instead of the temperature and it was high at 105 many times. We knew to cut the grass before late afternoon as the dew from the high humidity would make mowing difficult.

Donna said...

The only A/Ced room? goodness! Stay cool!!
hugs
Donna

Boud said...

Deer love hosta. Well, practically anything. Here it's squirrels rummaging everywhere that deters my seedlings. The heat makes indoors a requirement and I get so annoyed when I can't get out walking.

Saundra said...

My windows are all steamed up this morning. and since my thermostat reached 107 yesterday can't imagine how high it will get today. Am surprised the dog isn't in the bedroom with you.

Pam said...

Great guest!! Steam is correct. So much so this old girl is staying in .

Mary, Windy Meadows Farm said...

Take care - it is so miserable. Is it wrong to wish for Fall??

Jeanie said...

Do your best to keep cool. This oppressive heat can wear a person down.

Kathylorraine said...

same weather here mid 90's and high humidity

MELODY JACOB said...

That sunset view looks gorgeous, but dealing with that immediate steamy, humid heat right after the rain is always so exhausting. It is completely smart to just hide out in the air-conditioned bedroom and let your house guest claim the spot under the ceiling fan while the temperatures peak. Having a full rain barrel is a great silver lining for the garden, even if the local deer are already making themselves a nuisance out there. Hopefully the worst of this heatwave passes quickly so you can comfortably get back to your regular routine without melting.

TheCrankyCrow said...

Happy July 5th! Yes, I'm running way behind on blog reading and everything else. I hope that, by now, you've had a break in the heat and humidity. Ours is gone and we're back to "normal" summer weather. The high today is to be 80 and the low tonight 60. Perfect by my standards...well, for summer at least. Such sweet company you have (had?)! That hosta looks like it was one of those with the ginormous leaves. I have one out front and this year it survived the rabbits (they were too busy eating my porch, pool pump house, tulips, lilies and other plants)...But, then, on a particularly windy day, the old cream separator I had next to it tipped over on to it and really decimated it. Hoping it will make a comeback. Hope you had a great Independence Day - however you spent it!