Thursday, July 16, 2026

Deadly lettuce?


Between the heat and a sore knee, I haven't walked much. I got out this morning for a short walk and found some meager blueberries.




Out of caution, I am not eating salads right now. I made up a batch of homemade Boursin cheese and bought a bag of Bugles to stay safe, lol.
We had pasta last night with chicken and this cheese. It was so good and very quick as I used chopped rotisserie chicken.


We have been getting smoke from Canada. The sun and everything has a yellow haze. The air quality is awful. I feel bad for anyone living near those fires if our air is this bad.

I hate the heat but will be very sad when summer is over. Our mornings on the porch and seeing my daughter and family more make for a perfect summer.
Have a great week!



22 comments:

Marcia said...

It was clear this morning early but now the haze has moved back in. At least the temps are bearable, actually quite pleasant this morning. The lettuce I get from the CSA is safe I believe though wash it well.

Mari said...

We're getting the smoke too. Bob read something today about trying to stay alive around here with horrible heat, killer lettuce and now smoke!

Boud said...

Same here, hot and smoky. It smells nasty too. Headachy air.
I'm steaming my greens with carrots because I understand cooking destroys the bacteria. I'd rather have them raw but oh well.

MELODY JACOB said...

Oh man, swapping out lettuce for homemade Boursin cheese and Bugles is an absolute power move, I love that so much. That quick chicken pasta sounds incredibly comforting too, especially when you are dealing with a sore knee and that awful smoky haze outside. It is wild how far that wildfire smoke travels, so definitely take it easy and keep enjoying those slow, perfect porch mornings with your family while the summer weather lasts.

Saundra said...

I'm still eating my salads and wash the greens. Yes, I've heard the news too where they say washing doesn't get rid of the entire problem. But also heard on the news there was the same issue last year and this year there's less people with the problem. There's been issues with Romaine lettuce for years and so far I've not had a problem, ditto on the packaged salads.

Debbie said...

i too have a love/hate relationship with summer and i am sure i will miss summer when it is gone. this whole lettuce debacle is making me nuts, i LOVE summer salads!! i'm not sure if you saw my pasta post from a few days ago...made with boursin cheese, it was so good!! and bugles, a blast from my past!!

Jennifer said...

I agree....I will be sooo sad when summer is over. So super hot here, as well, but I try my best not to complain. I'll take it if it means summer!:)

Chatty Crone said...

I agree about the fruits and veggies!

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hello! It's good to see what you've been up to. Glad you are having a good summer. I eat a lot of salads so I've been thinking about the problems with lettuce this summer, but I haven't quite eating it yet. I hope that your knee gets feeling better. See you again soon!

Rugs and Pugs said...

I hope your knee gets better soon.
Oh the haze and smoke in northern Ohio today is unreal. My son says it smells like a campfire and that is the perfect description.
Like you I hate the extreme heat and humidity but I sure don’t want summer to end either!

Kathylorraine said...

That disease being spread on fresh foods is scary. awful you are getting that smoke- hugs from the lake

Pam said...

I've decided not to eat any kind of leafy green for awhile. I may plant some in a pot but I am not eating what is in the store. I'm sorry about the smoke and air quality. We've dealt with that in the past and it is horrible! Praying for rain to get the fires under control and to clean the air.

TheCrankyCrow said...

Things are absolutely crazy here weather-wise. We've had actual temps in the mid 90's and heat indices in 100's...ad the smoke!! It's horrendous here! It's in the extremely unhealthy/hazardous rating and all outdoor activities/events have been canceled. And the smoke has seeped into every building everywhere. I had to go to the medical center and thought, at least, there there would be some relief but nope...even the examination rooms deep in the facility were saturated. My eyes just burn no matter how many drops I use and my head is pounding and I can't seem to ever catch my breath. While Lauren's son said it smells like a campfire, here it's a bit different. I enjoy the smell of a good campfire but this smells boggy and marshy...like when you dump wet pine needles or woods on a fire and all it does is smolder and smoke. Ugh.

Granny Marigold said...

The dreadful heat and now bad air quality is making July hard to enjoy for many folks. I don't like to wish time to pass more quickly but it's hard not to wish for Fall.

handmade by amalia said...

I'm the same! I don't like this excessive heat but will be sorry to see the end of summer. Go figure.
Amalia
xo

Jeanie said...

I don't mind the heat too much, as long as there is a breeze. But when it's humid and still -- nope. And this smoke is rough. If it isn't the lungs we're worried about this month, it's the stomach-and-bowels! Hope you stay well.

Chrissy T said...

Oh, my that haze is a mess for those in the area and surrounding. Im with you on the salads and I am even being cautious with berries as it can also be a culprit they "say."

Marcia said...

In answer to your question about the Mill: grounds may be added to garden but they aren't completely broken down. It says to allow 2 weeks before planting to let microbes work. ratio: 1 cup of food grounds into 5 gallons of soil.

Kay G. said...

We are having a salad tonight with lettuce! Wish us luck! My husband washes and washes and washes the lettuce very, very carefully. He always has done so! Today, he said he took off the outer leaves also. Will let you know how this turns out!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

We have substituted broccoli salad for lettuce salad and other types of salads like egg and tuna. Smoky skies and haze here as well.

Prims By The Water said...

The smoke is still here. I feel bad for the sailors doing the annual Port Huron to Mackinac Island sailboat race. It was smoky and stormy when they left and am sure the farther North they get, the smoke will be worse. I dont want to eat salad either...and I love salads in the Summer. Janice

Red Rose Alley said...

I love your pottery coffee cup, and your porch is so charming. We had a couple wildfires up here also, but they are about an hour away and nearly contained. The wildfire season is very scary, and summer is not my favorite season.