Sunday, July 12, 2026

Lavender


My lavender this year is so happy! There was a lavender festival in the town where the family gathering was held. The police shut it down because there were so many people it was a hazard. People just love lavender, including my sweet Grand.


I made a trip to the dump and found 2 books I might like to read in the swap shop. On the way back I stopped at a farm stand and got a couple of summer squash, tis the season yum.


I was asked several times how to keep hollyhocks looking this good. Well partly luck, but I also spray them with rose spray, and they are under a slight overhang so no pounding rain on them. 
*****************
Back to the heat ugg. This weekend could not have been more perfect.
Have a great week.

20 comments:

Rugs and Pugs said...

I need to get a few lavender plants. Have not had one do well in a long time. At my previous house (decades ago), it was amazing.
Your hollyhock are gorgeous!

TheCrankyCrow said...

I've always love fresh lavender and plant it each and every year. Only once did I have a plant come back and, unbelievably, it was the more sensitive French variety. Yes, your hollyhocks are stunning. If you happen to think of it, I would love if you could send me some of the seeds from your plant later this summer/fall. I'll pay the postage. I'd like to try (yet) again and they say that plants/seeds from another's garden have a special kind of magic. We have already gone back to incredibly high temperatures and oppressive humidity. As much as I dislike a/c I have had mine on the past 2 days and things are to get worse...highs in the 90's and heat indices above 100. Eeek.

Granny Marigold said...

Lavender is just so wonderful. I don't know of anyone who doesn't love it.
Have a great week and try to keep cool.

Donna said...

Oh your flowers are Gorgeous!!
Have a sweet week!
hugs
Donna

Prims By The Water said...

We are already under the extreme heat warning once again. UGH I need to find some Hollyhocks next year. I use to have them at my old house but never here. My gramma H had them and I always loved them. Yours is so pretty. We have Lavender festivals here too. Janice

Kathylorraine said...

I love lavender too and you hollyhocks are gorgeous! thanks for the growing tips-have good week ahead

Saundra said...

Several years ago I had a few lavender plants and enjoyed making wands and saving buds. Then they got so woody and died off. Still do love scent and spritz my pillow sometimes with the lavender essential oil.

Nancy said...

We are finally getting a few days' break from the intense 95+* heat. Glorious Rain, and lower temps. Plants are heat-worn but look relieved. Beautiful Hollyhocks!

Anonymous said...

Lavender is a favorite scent. It speaks calm, cottage, clean and refreshing.
May

Marcia said...

I should pick some of my lavender and bring it in. Such a heavenly scent.

Chrissy T said...

I love lavender. I used to grow it, dry it and store to use to put in sachets and also make soap. I haven't done that in years. Maybe one day I will do it again.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Lavender is such a lovely plant and in my favorite color as well.

Anonymous said...

I made lavender wands this year, they are so fragrant while working on them, makes for a pleasant project. I hope the wands keep their scent for a long time. I’ve not tried to make a basket from them. Your hollyhocks are so pretty, so lovely to see. Take care and stay cool, best, Virginia

Maureen said...

I love Maeve Binchy stories. I hope you enjoy it too.I have several lavender plants growing and so far they are the only things the deer haven't snacked on.

acorn hollow said...

I thought I had read all of hers but I had not this one.

Maureen said...

I do recall this one but you sent me off to our library website to look over her titles. I requested Nights of Rain and Stars. I don't remember reading this one but even if I did I won't mind re-reading it.

Bonnie K said...

I love lavender but can't get it to live here. Your hollyhocks are wonderful!

acorn hollow said...

I make them most years to put in with my wool. And yes they keep their scent a long time.
Cathy

Debbie said...

it is lavender season and yours is beautiful!! there are several lavender festivals in our area. it has been to hot this summer to attend!! your roses are really gorgeous!! i like their spot and the way you are training them!!

Jeanie said...

So glad you had a wonderful weekend. That lavender is fantastic!