Sunday, July 14, 2024

The Dog Days Of Summer

We are in a heat wave and my plants could not be happier

These are the ones I winter over and when I plant them they are just bare sticks! This is the 3rd or 4th year I swear they get more beautiful every year.

I got to spend some really good one on one time with my sweet grand. She never fails to inspire and astound me.

She is a dancer so we decided we both could use some summer toes. 
It was such a sweet luxury. 
Her art project at school was a junk journal. I never thought I would be interested in this craft but she has inspired me!

In Class she had to pick a subject. She loved the process so much she is now doing one on her stitching projects. 
Besides dancing and golf this summer she is volunteering at an adult day care center. Playing games with them, reading to them, talking with them, 6 hours a week. She has wonderful stories she tells and comes out smiling after her time there. 

      
And like I said dog days. Miss Kora was there too.
She hung out on the screened porch with us mostly. 




Yesterday we went to a family BBQ and on the way there these clouds kept billowing. When we got home, we found there must have been lots of rain here but no rain at the BBQ. They are a little less than 2 hrs south of us and they have had little to no rain. We have had plenty.



I also visited a bookstore with Sweet B she chose a couple of books, and I found this one by an author I have read before. I also got a magazine and in it was how to turn a book into a purse so that is our next project. And we are now on the hunt for old used up books.
***
I got a walk in the morning so glad I did I haven't walked much, and my body was feeling it. I dead headed some roses and pulled a few weeds it is now much too hot for me. So, I have planted myself on my porch with my book and calling it a day. 
Grilled chicken on a salad for dinner tonight and making a list for grocery shopping tomorrow. 
Have a wonderful week!



11 comments:

kathyinozarks said...

Sounds like good times with your grand. Your flowers are beautiful. the junk journals can be a lot of fun to make. Several years ago I made one with wool pages and sewed it all into a book added tons of beads around page edges. nice way to save momentos or make into a diary of sorts too
we are super hot and humid today too-ugh

Rugs and Pugs said...

Your geraniums are awe inspiring. Because of you I overwintered two plants, but this year will do several more...and then plant them earlier than I did this year to get them growing.
Miss B's junk journal is too cool.
How wonderful that at such a young age she is volunteering at an adult day care center. I am sure the folks are most appreciative. What a fine young lady. You have very reason to be proud of her.
Give an extra treat to Miss Kora from her Auntie Lauren in Ohio...lol!
Enjoy your porch time!

Chatty Crone said...

I wrote a comment and it disappeared.
I said that I wish I had a granddaughter to do things with - I have 2 grandsons.
She sounds like a great go getter and building a terrific resume.

Prims By The Water said...

I cannot beleive how Miss sweet B has grown since I first visited your blog. udos to her for volunteering at the adult care facility. So many of the residents are forgotten in these homes. Your geraniums are sure thriving and beautiful It still amazes me that you Winter these plants and they turn out so wonderful the next year. Janice

Saundra said...

The making books into a purse sounds intriguing and can't wait for you to share.
Quite commendable that your granddaughter is volunteering and that will surely look great on her resume later.

TheCrankyCrow said...

Your geraniums are beautiful! I still haven't tried your method of wintering over - first freezes and winters creep up so quickly here. Your dog days sound wonderful. I am looking forward to the days when I can do the things you're doing with Miss B with my Mouse. What a wonderful thing to volunteer as she is doing. Our society needs more of that. Funny about your book choice... I am running dangerously low on my reading que and that book you chose has been in my cart. You will have to let me know how you like it. ~Robin~

Deb J. in Utah said...

It looks like you really had a nice time with your granddaughter! I love that you took her book shopping. That book you picked out looks interesting. It's good that your barbecue went off without rain! Your flowers look amazing. I would love to see how you make a bag out of a book. That sounds like my kind of craft! Have a great week. See you again soon.

Deb J. in Utah said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Granny Marigold said...

Your geraniums are lovely. Come Fall maybe you can blog about how you overwintered them.
Your granddaughter looks like a sweetheart. Lots of good times to be had with her around.
I think it's such a good thing she does volunteering at the Adult Daycare 💗.
Have a great week. Stay cool if you can.

Marie Smith said...

Time with a grandchild is so precious. Your sweetie is a beauty in many ways!

Debbie said...

pedicures are so wonderful, better with a grandchild!! i have made a similar junk journal, they are fun!!