Sunday, July 21, 2024

Hand watering vs sprinklers

A tower of cucumbers. This is a trellis I got at our dump many years ago. The cucumbers are so happy to climb it. Not bad for a few seeds.
I prefer to water my gardens by hand. I know the argument for a sprinkler, and I agree with most of it except...

I need to look and see how things are growing.

And pull a few weeds. And see if things are getting ripe!

First time growing these.

They are perfect to pop in your mouth while reading.
They are sweet and warm from the sun need I say more?
Anyway, husband is always offering to hook up the sprinkler. I know he is trying to help and no matter how many times I explain it he still wants to hook up the sprinkler. Years ago, when I first started gardening an older gardener told me to always water by hand then you know what your plants are doing. She was right!
How about you?


12 comments:

Deb J. in Utah said...

I like to go out every day and look at my garden and hand water it as well, even though we have a sprinkling system! Your tomatoes look so delicious! I have many ripening in my garden as well. Have a good week. See you again soon!

WoolenSails said...

I am the same way, I like to look at how things are doing and water by hand. Much better for the plants to water at the bottom, and not the leaves. I had tomato worms this year, but it seems I got them all. Now I have deer chomping off the branches, saw their hoof prints, so I need to fence it off I guess.

Debbie

Saundra said...

Those grape tomatoes do look scrumptious.

JustGail said...

I water the gardens (veg & flower) by hand too. Sometimes with the hoses & water wand, sometimes with sprinkler cans filled from a water wagon. I will use a sprinkler for any trees that need a good survival drink, like they did the last couple of years.

Marie Smith said...

We set up a watering system but I hand water a few plants besides. Our tomatoes are starting to ripen too.

Rugs and Pugs said...

I absolutely HATE watering. To me it is just a waste of time, but with that being said, I hand water, too.
Those tomatoes look so yummy! Nothing like a fresh 'mater from the garden.

Chatty Crone said...

I don't have a garden now, but when I did I hand watered.
Your veggies are so beautiful!

Mary, Windy Meadows Farm said...

I love that trellis, what a great find! I do use the sprinkler in the garden - but the herbs and onions that are over by the chicken coop always get hand watered. I am definitely in the minority!

Granny Marigold said...

Right now with the hot weather and lack of rain I've been doing a lot of watering....always by hand. I don't even like using the thingy that goes on the end of the hose and hits the plants with way too much force. I find when I water I find weeds that otherwise I'd miss, and I can appreciate the flowers and see any newly opened buds. Soon I'll hopefully find some ripe tomatoes but so far none are even showing signs of turning colour.

Jeanie said...

I'm with you on hand watering vs. sprinkler. And I love those little tomatoes!

Kira Roza said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
moosecraft said...

I always hand water....if for no other reason the water gets put right where you want it to go. I see my neighbors watering their lawns with a sprinkler and most of the water lands on the sidewalk and driveway....kind of a waste. AND, had I not watered by hand today.... I would have missed the little praying mantis paying a visit to my daisies! :-)