Sunday, June 16, 2024

Welcome to the Porch!

Welcome to the porch!
The railings and door are new. We have solar lights on the end caps of stairs. It gets very dark here at night. 
The porch is ready just in time to see the fireflies come out to play this year! There were hundreds the first night. 

I have a box for gardening gloves and a few tools for when I have a few minutes to get out in the garden. Husband made the box for me. 
The floor is mahogany. I have scrubbed it and sealed it, so it looks great right now. 

Our table where we have lunch and dinner all summer.

Our porch is 40 feet long and 8 feet wide. So, we have divided it into two sections. 



This is our old glider we have had for years. I finished the cushion. Trust me a person who can sew would never approve of how this is finished but good enough for the porch. 

We got rid of two big chairs and bought this glider from Home Depot. When we have people over it was too crowded with how we had it set up. This will give us more room to move around. 

We have them across from each other. We both like this so much better. 

I hung up my lady liberty for the fourth. 
The little shelf under it is a piece of marble husband had and he made a shelf for my battery candles, and you just may see a gnome hanging around. 



I made bread today not sure why the bead fell but it still tastes good. 

I made a recipe I found online. The cake mix is angel food cake,
one can of lemon pie filling, zest of one lemon and the juice of the lemon. mix well put in a 9x13 pan. 350 for 38 minutes.

After it cooled, I cut it into squares and dusted it with powdered sugar. I used parchment paper in the pan, no grease at all. 
They are good and lemony and so easy. 
I made them to take to the beach with me. I am headed out first thing in the morning. 4 of us are gathering at the beach in Maine for 4 days!!!! It is supposed to be very hot and hopefully it will be cool and lovely at the beach. There is a garden walk, lobster rolls, cold cocktails, and lots of laughter in store. We all need this so much!

And I will close with a happy father' day to my husband.
Our one and only is the exact double of her dad. I love them both to the moon!
Have a great week! 


20 comments:

Tracy said...

That looks such a lovely sociable space. It must be wonderful to sit there and watch the fireflies.

Saundra said...

Lady Liberty looks great there. Am sure you and company will enjoy your communal space. Sure hope the bears don't end up being some of the company.

Betty said...

I love your porch space. Especially your cushion! It looks great. I have chair cushions to cover and don't even know where to start. Great job on the floor and all your other touches.

Marcia said...

Your porch looks like a delightful place to be how could you leave it to go away?

Marie Smith said...

Enjoy your getaway! Your porch looks so inviting. We are eating out these days too!

TheCrankyCrow said...

Who needs a vacation getaway when there's a porch like that around? What a lovely, tranquil space! I love those gliders. All the joy of a porch swing without the bother of hanging it. Wish I had space for one. I have a simple one-seater board hung with rope at the end of my very narrow and very small porch. (More of an overhang than a porch actually). The viburnum planted in front has grown so out of control that it's hard to properly swing at this point without knocking into it. But my skeleton still likes it. ;-) Enjoy your time at the beach with your gal pals. ~Robin~

Chatty Crone said...

Oh my goodness - your porch was well worth the wait. Will the floor be okay from when the winter comes? Love lady liberty and I love the gliders too. Have fun on your vacation.

Barbara Anne said...

A similar summer treat is Angel Food cake mix with a 20oz can of crushed pineapple stirred in. That's all! The batter will be foamy so don't panic. Pour into a greased 9"x 13" pan, bake at 350*F for 30 min. and watch carefully for the last 5 min. Have thawed Cool Whip on hand!

Wishing y'all well!

Rugs and Pugs said...

I am so envious of that beautiful porch and Lady Liberty is the perfect addition.
I am not a baker, but I may have to try that recipe. I think I can handle 4 ingredients and it sounds SO YUMMY.
Enjoy your time with Donna and friends. Sounds like a few days in heaven ;-)

kathyinozarks said...

What an awesome space you have created-I love it! so cozy too

Granny Marigold said...

I love your porch💗💗 and you have arranged it in such a great way.
Like Chatty Crone I wondered how that wood floor would fare in winter.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

The porch looks like a wonderful place to dine and entertain friends. We always enjoyed our VA front porch and it is one of the things we miss most only it was not screened. If we had remained, we might have considered screening it. ENjoy your beach time getaway and despit the heat wave in New England now, it will surely be cooler there.

Lady Locust said...

Love your porch: a cup of tea and those lemon bars and I would be napping in no time (haha).
You are a beautiful couple - happy day to both of you :-)

Prims By The Water said...

Your porch is warm and welcoming I know you will spend many days on it now that it is finished. Lady Liberty is perfect out there too. Janice

Mary, Windy Meadows Farm said...

Oh my word that porch is LOVELY...I'm completely jealous! You must be over the moon, it's perfect! And the new glider is a great match for your original one...just wonderful!!

Anonymous said...

How lovely to see your porch and gliders, I think everyone would love to have a ‘sit and visit’ place like yours. I will try that cake, looks yummy and lemon is a fav in summer! Your Lady Liberty is just awesome. But then, so is your dear family picture! Enjoy your getaway, happy days. so, V.

Bonnie K said...

It should be a requirement that every home has a porch. I love ours. Yours is perfect. That lemon cake looks great. I will have to give it a try.

moosecraft said...

Oh my goodness! I love everything about your porch! Those floors look a zillion times better than what's inside my house! lol! Love those gliders and that metal top table....and the green of your house is dreamy! Actually, I did not know gliders were sold anymore? Have to check the Depot now.... Happy Summertime!

Jeanie said...

Your porch is so inviting! I could spend the whole day there. and I love that you hung your Lady Liberty. he garden is looking good, too. Hope you are surviving the heat dome!

Donna said...

Your porch looks so inviting. All your work has paid off, fabulous.
Can't wait to visit it again.
♡Donna