Sunday, June 30, 2024

Family Celebrations and Summer Joys

I thought since I had some peaches why not try a bellini. while it was ok not my favorite. 

I made a very quick trip into the thrift store this week. There were crying babies and people everywhere. Yikes!!! But for 3.00 I got what I have been holding out for, for several years. A pasta machine! I figure if I try it and hate it 3.00 is not a bad try and I can donate it back. I will wait for a time when we are not so busy. 

A walk around the garden today. Fairy roses are just heavy with blooms.

My Astilbes are in bloom. I love the feathery blooms when they sway in the breeze.

I am not sure what this is, but I do think it is a type of succulent. It is in full bright yellow right now. 

Speaking of succulents my hens and chicks are happy in the rock walls.

And my Hosta is happy. I know some people do not like the flowers they produce but I like them and so do the bees. My poor daughter she had a deer find her Hosta for the first time; they do a number on them pretty quickly.

My patch of walking onions had gotten a bit out of hand. I passed some off to my friends and then I thinned it out a bit. It is a perennial, and you can eat the whole plant. It has the taste of shallots. I am drying them a bit in an old onion bag.  Walking onions info here if you want to know more. 

I got this plant last year when I retired. I tried to winter it over in the house but trust me it was near death this spring. I threw it out in the garden in the pot it was in and said you have one chance, or you go on the compost heap. Lol it listened it is getting new leaves and blooming who knew???

The pond is not clearing up like I would like but I don't dare add any more chemicals to it because we have a new resident, and I don't want it to croak. 
****
It is humid and awful today but there are storms brewing to clear it out. Not a fan of humid weather makes me very lazy. 
****
Yesterday we celebrated my brother and sister-in-law's 50th Anniversary. It was nice to gather and honor them. This is my husband's brother who donated his bone Marrow to him. So, to say they are special is an understatement. We also saw friends there that asked if I ever got bored being retired? NEVER! They are still working.
I will end here thank you for all the new visits and comments every comment means so much to me. 
Have a great week!  

6 comments:

Julia said...

I bought a shiny, like-new pasta machine for $9.00 some years back and I used it once to roll my Samosa dough, but I'm always too much in a rush to make my own pasta like my daughters, so I gave it to my granddaughter, and she was so happy as she makes her own pasta. I can always buy another if I ever slow down.

Those little bright yellow succulents are called Sedum Acres. I have some growing on my rock wall.

Happy 4th of July.
Hugs, Julia

Lauren said...

My mom had that exact machine. She did not make pasta but we always had homemade noodles! (My dad did not like spaghetti .)
I have no luck with the hen & chicks because the squirrels always destroy them. And the deer. Argh. They can obliterate hostas with no problem overnight.
I am curious about the walking onions. Thank you for the link.
Happiest anniversaries to the fine man who saved David’s life and to his wife. What a special bond David must have with his brother ♥️
Bored? What is that?
Rugs and Pugs

kathyinozarks said...

Wow that is an awesome find with the pasta maker, I have one but sadly have not used it much over the many years I have had it-have not worked out a good gluten free dough
Lovely garden photos. I have been retied since 2003 and I love just being home doing what I want to do Happy 4th

Deb J. in Utah said...

I am sure looking forward to retirement and I don't think I will be bored either. You always find such good stuff and great great bargains at the thrift store. I hope you have a nice week!

Barb said...

I love a good bellini - my husband sometimes makes them if we have a special brunch. I'll drink yours! I've read through some of your posts. You have lovely gardens, and I do imagine they take some work. I have astilbe in my garden, but I only get leaves - no blooms though I'm always hopeful. I live at high altitude, and I think our growing season is just too short. Happy summer!

TheCrankyCrow said...

Yup...Julia is right, they are sedum - and when they are mature enough, will shoot up yellow flowers. Not a fan of yellow flowers, but I do love my sedum. Mine are blooming now. Your astilbe, however, are ahead of mine. Lots of blooms, but not yet open. I've always loved them. And yay on the hibiscus blooming! I am not good at wintering things over so I have hardy hibiscus. that I don't have to bring them in. They are my very favorites and I think I have hooked 2 dozen people on them. You've mentioned your walking onions before...I will need to explore them a bit more. Thanks for the link. Now you have me questioning how I make my homemade pasta?? That machine looks very complicated. I have an attachment for my Kitchen Aid mixer and use that.... Usually I make ravioli and so just roll my dough very thin, then use the old-fashioned metal ravioli forms to make the raviolis. Congrats to your brother and sister-in-law. That's quite a remarkable achievement (especially these days) - and what a remarkable gift of life he gave. It is very cool here for this time of year and has been. Barely in the 70's. Not summer-like at all. ~Robin~