Wednesday, June 26, 2024

Beautiful Days

My gardens are so wonderful if I do say so myself.
These are fairy roses; they will bloom now until a hard frost

Even on my walk the flowers are popping up everywhere. These are wild foxgloves. 



My lavender has just started blooming.
I always make at least one lavender wand a year, over the years I have quite a collection to put in my wool. 
Oh that darn bear! He is making me so mad!
He showed up last night and because I have no food for him, he tried to get at my blue birds. As you can see, he made quite a mess of it. 

These lovely nights we have been able to sit on the porch and wait for the fireflies. It is just so lovely to watch them blink looking for a date. 

                                                                                
It is strawberry season here and I do love a good strawberry!
                                           ******
Today we spent a few hours getting our little pond back up and running. I lifted and moved more rock than I care to remember. 
But the good news is it is running the water is a bit green, but I added some stuff that should help. I will show you pictures later. 
                                    ********
I want to apologize for not getting back to you all as fast as I should the days just get away from me. We hit the ground running in the mornings. Between walks and gardens and housework by the time I sit down in the evenings I am done in. I will try to do better. 
Have a wonderful week. We have a fun weekend ahead and some company coming for the 4th. It is good to be retired!
 

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wild foxglove you say. Forgive me if I seem bitter, but I have been trying to get them going here for 3 years! Still don’t have those beauties. It’s a good thing I’m stubborn and keep trying 😂. Oh enjoy those strawberries 🍓 on your porch 💕
Lady Locust

Julia said...

Your Fairy roses are so lovely. My lavender is also blooming. I've been too busy to make lavender sachets. I hope I can remember to dry some blossoms. Oh, that darn bear. I have a herd of pesky deers who are decimating my Hostas and gardens.
Stay safe and well.
Hugs, Julia

yaya said...

I've missed lots of your posts so I went back and enjoyed seeing all the adventures you've had! I love your finished porch. How nice to be able to eat out there all season. I sit on our deck a lot but sure would love to have it screened in against bugs! Your gardens are lovely and I know they are tons of work but the outcome is all worth it! Hopefully I'll be back to blogging and catching up with blog buddies. Have a good week! It's balloon fest here in Ashland this weekend. Hopefully the weather will hold out and no rain!

acorn hollow said...

They grow wild on the banking here. Sorry you have had no luck them. Thank you for the visit.
Cathy
Acornhollow.blogspot.com

Marie Smith said...

We eat on the patio most summer days. Rain is the only soggy deterrent. Like today!

Mary, Windy Meadows Farm said...

Please don’t apologize, the days get busy and fly by. Sometimes I’ll pop in to read posts but don’t find time to comment or even to write one of my own! We definitely understand. The fairy roses are so pretty – I have an old rosebush that just is finicky and doesn’t always bloom. Any tips would be appreciated. I love the gliders on the porch – they have a terrific vintage look and the little table looks like enamel (?) perfect - I’d be spending a lot of time out there! That bear damage to your cute birdhouse looks like he’s been a little too close for comfort!

Saundra said...

I used to have lavender but they became too woody and died and never bought more. Your porch looks quite comfy. If not for your bear I bet you'd have folks wanting to sleep on the porch on hot summer nights.

Rugs and Pugs said...

Your fairy roses are always so prolific! I have a couple rose bushes, but don't take very good care of them and on the one, the deer always eat the buds ;-(
Oh that darn bear. Sorry to hear you are once again having issues!!!
Your porch is so inviting and I can see why you enjoy it so.
Happy weekend...and I love hearing how much you are enjoying your retirement.

TheCrankyCrow said...

Your garden is lovely indeed! I'm with Lady Locust regarding the foxglove. They basically only grow as annual here although a few do pop up from seeds, but they are always quite small. Yikes on the bear...hope he didn't get his paws on the bluebirds. :-( I think you are quite diligent about responding to comments and such. I know I owe several replies yet on my last post - had out-of-country company come for a few days and preparing to entertain overnight guests of course takes me longer these days. Porch looks fantastic. It's been too cool to even think about sitting outside here. ~Robin~

Debbie said...

the deck looks so cozy and comfortable. your gardens are quite lovely...and no comment on that bear, they can be so destructive!!

Danielle L Zecher said...

Your garden is beautiful! So is your porch. It looks like a great place to spend your evenings.

michb said...

Your couch cushions are lovely..what a good job , that fabric is not easy to sew.

acorn hollow said...

Thank you so much. Since I don't sew much at all I didn't have the brains to be scared of that fabric lol. Slow and steady was my motto.
So glad you visited
Cathy
Acornhollow.blogspot.com

acorn hollow said...

Thank you! We love our porch.
Cathy

Velva- Evening with a Sandwich said...

Cheers to your beautiful garden. Boo to the bear messing with the bluebird box and more cheers to a lovely summer.