Sunday, July 24, 2022

It Must Be The Heat

My Russian sage is taking over my garden like any other good Russian dictator would. 

This is day four of low 90's high humidity. I hate this kind of weather we have no air conditioners, and a fan just doesn't cut it! My poor gardens are looking worse for wear I have not gotten out in them to weed. I throw some water on them early morning and that is it. 

So, in order to save electricity, I bought several of these.
 

To plug into the back of our 4 TV's I read that the average resting tv uses about 35 to 50 cents an hour of electricity. x4 and that is a lot of money a month. This helps us to shut it down with one click when we are not watching them. (See below)
Lauren is right I got my numbers wrong, but it still estimates between 8 and 10 dollars a month and that is not with all the new rise in rates. 


Which saving electricity is a bit of a joke now that we have a pond installed.  We do shut it down before we go in for the night if that helps at all. It still needs landscaping and some tweaking, but it is a wonderful sound.  



Husband went a few towns over and bought us a couple of blueberry muffins from a semi famous baker in the area. She is a young woman who won second place on the food network baking show. 
I think I am just an old cranky cook. But they had a streusel on the top like these and then they were plastered with a sugar glaze.
(Picture from the internet)
To me that was a blueberry cupcake the crumb was a fine crumb a cake would have. I prefer basic, rustic muffins. I ripped off the top and threw it away and ate the stump. Which was tasty but not a muffin. And that is my complaint for today. lol.
I told you the heat was doing me in! 


The heat is supposed to break tonight with some storms. 
I am looking forward to the lovely summer air we were having before this mess came in. To those of you who suffer with this type of weather all summer you have my sympathy. I could not do it. I would take 6 feet of snow over this. I am a true New Englander! 
Have wonderful week everyone!


13 comments:

Saundra said...

Oh my.. as much as I hate the heat and humidity am not sure I'd trade it for 6' of snow. Do you realize how much heating a house would cost with those cold conditions? Am quite sure you are, lol. We're screwed either way.

Julia said...

I'm loving your ranting post. Yes, it must be the heat, lol... Thanks for the little video of your beautiful gurgling pond. The sound should put you in a good mood but I had to laugh at the way you ripped the top of your cupcake. You may be a cranky cook but I bet your cooking is pretty decent from what I see in your posts.

I had to pull my Russian Sage out several years ago because it wasn't doing well in the shade of the growing hedge and yours has taken over like a dictator, lol...

Wouldn't it be cheaper to just unplug the TV from the wall for 4 TV?

Stay cool my friend and listen to that soothing sound.
Hugs, Julia

Hill Top Post said...

I have been handing out wows today and even wrote about that in my journal, so here's one for you too. WOW! I love the pond! It is much larger than I imagined.

Sue in Suffolk said...

We have much cooler weather today in Old England!

Your new pond and waterfall looks good

Rugs and Pugs said...

Your pond is absolutely wonderful!!! Such a soothing sound.
I am sure whoever/wherever you got the info about the TV "resting" rate is totally off base. For one TV at $.35 an hour, that would be $8.40 a day or $250+ a month. Even if that was $.35 per day, that would still be $10 a month. Even that does not seem right to me.
I hope your heat/humidity has broken. Here in Ohio today is actually going to be pleasant...and as a bonus, we even got a bit of rain last night!!!

Jeanie said...

That's a good idea about the power strip -- I will do that when I get home again. We don't have a TV here (or air con, either). Today it's in the 60s. They are threatening 70s. A couple of days ago we were swimming in the lake. Frustrating!

Marcia said...

Did you get the down pour and thunder storm that hit us at 6 o'clock this morning? It's cooler but muggier now. I need to get out and pick blueberries maybe this afternoon. Patch is in neighbor's back field. $2/pint.

Farm Girl said...

I love your pond! Its beautiful. After our week in Tucson, even at 105 here each day, it never is as hot as Arizona. It would be 94 at 8:00 A.M. We have nice cool mornings and it cools off at night. I just will read and hook more in my house. I don't know about binding any rugs for awhile yet though.
I think my own muffins are better than those I can buy. I think they just put too much sugar in them. They are pretty though. I hope you have a much cooler week.

kathyinozarks said...

Hi Cathy, I really love your pond too-great job nothing more soothing than the sound of moving water.
my garden project was pretty much a bust do to this extreme high temps. we did get rain and storms last night and was cooler this morning, now the high humidity is back in the picture but low 80s is better than 100s so won't complain-ah too much anyways haha
feel better soon, I would be cranky too with no a/c its a must where we live now Happy Monday

Prims By The Water said...

Well hopefully you will get some relief. We are on the brown out list of states and are now worried we may lose power at some point. Am hoping Summer ends soon...well at least the humidity and heat. I am also just a plain muffin person. No fancy stuff for me. LOL Janice

TheCrankyCrow said...

Your pond is AHHHmazing! Wow! Your hubby is quite talented. I love all the rocks. Hmmm, I'd be tossing the 4 tvs and letting the pond sing LOL. I only have 1 tv and most days that's 1 too many. I would have to agree with you on the muffin/cupcake thing. I have a couple of muffin recipes that have streusel tops, but definitely NOT my blueberry muffins. And glaze/frosting?? Unheard of! I, however, would not have let an otherwise decent "cupcake" top go to waste. 😂 Your garden looks beautiful to me. We had a couple days of oppressive humidity last week, but now we are a bit on the cool side. Low (and I mean LOW) 70's for highs...and a couple of nights in the 40's. It's good for sleeping, if one sleeps...but yikes! ~Robin~

jody said...

love your pond! i love my pond even tho i say every year..once these last 4 huge old goldfish pass on i dont think i will keep the pond up. it is alot of work in the spring, then fall cleaning filters ect. i probably will tho as i love it and the birds do to! your is beautiful and natural..
i am a happy camper when temps are in the 60s to early 70s but.. im not much good after that. i have an old house so have a smaller window air conditioner in the den/sewing room. i cant stand the noise so i tend to turn it on when i leave and off when i come in! i have not complained about this heat wave we are having as i didnt think i could snowblow in below 0 one more time this past winter.. yuk!
sorry about the muffins! enjoy your pond! and the rest of your evening!

yaya said...

What a beautiful pond! Your hubby did a great job. That's a lot of stones to haul! You'll enjoy that sound even with the heat. We've had an up and down summer with hot days thrown in and the humidity is really the killer. I hate it too and look forward to cool nights. We've had some storms that have lowered the temps but not the humidity! I must have some New England in me! I would have eaten the top and thrown the cake part out because I don't care for cake so we would make a good partnership of sweet eating! That garden looked amazing and I wish I had creativity to make sculptures with junk. I have lots of junk but no creative juices I guess! Hang in there Cathy, Fall is coming!