Sunday, January 2, 2022

Old New Year...

Life seemed just a little bit normal this week.
My sweet friend and I went to lunch at our favorite place at our favorite table right by the fireplace. 



Then a small hike after. We did not venture out on the lake it has been very warm. And now we do not have much snow. Lots of drizzle and fog in the past few days.

Pedicures with my daughter and grand. I know you can't tell but we were encased in plastic and the tecs wore masks we felt very comfortable and safe, such a luxury.

With a swim after. The pool is both inside and outside. 

We haven't seen much of the sun, but I continue to walk most days. 
I did a free online yoga class today. Holy stiffness!!! I used to do yoga all the time, but it has been way to long. I will keep at it for the next 90 days. I want to keep up the strength and balance. It is so important as I age. 

I continue to work on my rug. I am feeling anxious to get this done now and move on. 

I got some new kicks. Well to be honest I thought I got scammed and was going to contact my credit card company on Monday to start the process to get the money back. It took 8 weeks to get them and to my big surprise they seem well made. 

My veggie drawer in the frig was full of a little of this and a little of that that needed to be used. Soup it is and so tasty!!!

I am trying to combat this! Ugg and truly the tip of the iceberg!
Husband has enjoyed way more than he should in a year!

I got a belated gift in the mail from my hooking buddy Donna! 
Yes, she did the stitching and the painting! So much talent. 

My sweet hiking friend gave me this pin in a bag overflowing with other amazing things. We have been friends for many years. I can't image life without her. 

I know we all make resolutions or goals for the new year, and I have made a few too. But I saw this online and yes, we will be making a tree to leave your worries at. 

We have been watching a series on Britbox called Shetland. (Such a wonderful show)
They talked about "Old New Year" It is a tradition on the Shetland Islands to celebrate the New Year Jan 12th. I am all for extending the holiday, so I am keeping my tree up until Jan 12 to honor old traditions. Plus, I love looking at my tree on these cold dark nights.
It is a feather tree, so we are safe. 
***
May your new year be all you would like it to be.
May it be filled with laughter. I think we are all missing the laughter. Well at least I know I miss it. 

11 comments:

Julia said...

Hi Cathy, it looks like a wonderful start to a new year. A very thoughtful gift for your daughter and granddaughter. Miss B. looks so grown up. It seems only yesterday when she was just a new little bundle of joy. How time flies.

Yeah for the new kicks. I'm amazed that they have sneakers for rug hookers. Who would have thought? I love the acorn pin. So thoughtful.

I love old traditions too and I always keep my Christmas decorations until after Epiphany and sometimes, beyond. I miss the laughter also.

Wishing you a healthy, joyous and happy New year.

Hugs,
Julia

Saundra said...

Wow, you blog is chuck full of stuff to chat about. I tapped your photo but it didn't enlarge for me to see the plastics you were encased in. Was it just the plastic face shield? I've never ever had a pedicure and yet your granddaughter has, lol.
Those shoes looked interesting but was afraid to order for fear they wouldn't be true to size, plus I have a big bunion on one foot. Does yours have arch supports or is the sole flat?
Your Fox rug is totally awesome and the moon/sky is out of this world beautiful.

Prims By The Water said...

I keep my Christmas decor up until mid January. What fun sneakers and so glad you were not scammed. Hubby was when he bought a huge skeleton and it NEVER came. He was going to place it on our Antique store but lost $20 as it never showed up. So glad you all had fun at your pedicure! Happy New Year! Janice

Olde Dame Holly said...

What an interesting post! The half-in, half-out swimming pool has me amazed. Your soup looks so good. Maybe it will counteract too many sweets and goodies! I like your idea of leaving the tree to January 12th. I had a friend once who was from Ukraine and her tree stayed up until March-something. Drove her husband batty but her upbringing honored the old, old ways. Happy New Year!

Rugs and Pugs said...

Miss B is getting so grown up!!!
What fun tennis shoes. You will be the hit of hookers.
So close on your rug and it is looking ah-mazing!
Happy Old New Year ;-) I will be leaving decorations up for a bit yet, but know I won't make it until the 12th. I just love the warmth of the little white lights...and I have thousands.

TheCrankyCrow said...

Glad to hear you are keeping the glow of Christmas around for a bit. Growing up, the tree usually wasn't put up until a day or two before Christmas and then stayed up until mid to late January (our living room was cold and my mom added sugar to the water (she swore that helped keep the needles longer). The time after Christmas was spent going to the homes of relatives and friends and seeing their trees and gifts...and having them over to see ours. It was also in keeping with the Epiphany tradition. Your fox rug is, as Lauren said, AHHHmazing! You need to enter that into a show or something. Love the tennie runners...and the soup looks fantastic. Then again, I haven't met to many soups I haven't loved if they're homemade. That pool fascinates me as well...so is the outside water cold? If not, how do they manage to keep it heated??? Happy New Old Year Cathy.... ~Robin~

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Happy New year to you as well, Cathy, and it seems that the year end went very well for you, especially the pedicure with family and then the walk with a friend. We are also enjoying our tree until at least the next week or so. As we were away for 10 days after putting everything up, we rather enjoy the quiet evenings by candlelight and tree lights. We expect a light snowfall by this Friday, and it will be nice to enjoy it from the safety of indoors. Soup and/or stew are definitely on the menu this week.

Farm Girl said...

What a nice post!! It looks so cold to my California eyes. I like that worry tree.
I love that pin your friend got you. It sounds like your week started off right.
I love your shoes, so cute.
Have a wonderful first week in Jan,

yaya said...

I love your new shoes! I have too many shoes but I think I'm going to get rid of ones I don't use too much and then maybe buy a new pair..hmmm..I think that defeats the purpose of downsizing! Miss B is getting so grown up. I'm glad you could have a lovely girl time! That tree looks like a great idea. We have 4 acres of woods and I'm betting I could find a tree to put all my worries with the fairies! I hope you and your family have a wonderful, healthy, happy, and fun filled new year Cathy!

Hill Top Post said...

How wonderful that you started out the new year doing things you enjoy with people you love. We left our tree up a little longer this year but didn't quite make it to the 12th. I know I would leave up a feather tree, maybe even longer than the 12th. Yay for walking those trails!

Lynda said...

My tree is staying up til the end of February as I like the lights during the dark nights and days! Next year, it and all lights are going up November 1! And hopefully we can finally spend Christmas again in England with the grandkids then!