Sunday, June 7, 2020

Bad News

 
Another week has come and gone. They go so fast!

Last Tue I met up with my best friend for the first time since early Feb. and we walked a lot while really social distancing.(Hard not to hug her) It did my soul so good to see her. We walked by two lakes..

And found a sweet little cottage with wonderful gardens..

And we sat in the park with Archie and talked and caught up on everything!
***

I hauled out my yard sale frame I bought many years ago. 
I did not really know how to use it. It has little nail heads on the rollers that have tension but the sides I did  not know what to do..
I got lots of ideas on line but then it came to me it has holes on the sides so you can lace or sew it to the frame. I am way to lazy for that business.

So husband took a purtain frame I bought at the same sale that I never use, and took the holders off with the gripper strips and put them on this frame. Voila! it works perfectly! I need new gripper strips but that will be another time.

I have been hooking most nights so I am making great progress on my rug.


As you can see there is a weird squirrel on the top. I have tried to fix it but not sure what to do. And the little circle with a leaf hmmm not sure what that is either. 

I do not know if you can see the acorn I added where there was a weird little thing. 

My BIG project is digging out existing rock gardens and redoing the soil and plantings. There is a lot of sweat in this project as everything has to be done by hand. I planted these probably 30 years ago and I did not know what the heck I was doing but now I hopefully do.

I am transplanting what was there to other places and taking from a garden I want to clean out for good. I do not want to buy more plants the price of plants have really gone up. I bought for our little veggie garden was a bit shocked.

I love when something comes together. I paid a fair amount for the cement crow but because I never had the right place for him he has been living in our bookcase. I found this bottom a long time ago at the dump but never had anything to put on it Voila again! I will put it in my new replanted garden. I just need to find a way to paint the bottom black without it peeling. 

We still go from hot to chilly weather but we have had some really good porch time. We waited all winter for this porch time.

And I made a blueberry pie with the last of the blueberries we picked last year. So good if I do say so myself.
****
So the bad news is I have been called back to work. Only for about 18 hours a week but I have enjoyed being home so much. I do not have a hard job but it can be stressful. Maybe I need to rethink things but I need the health insurance they offer so not much I can do I guess.
Have a wonderful week.


12 comments:

Saundra said...

Well that bad news didn't end up as bad as I thought. Perhaps this break was what you needed to decide what you want for your future....immediate vs. long time. You are definitely my heroine for the hard work you do in the garden, wish I had your stamina/dedication.

Rugs and Pugs said...

So happy you finally got to spend time with your friend. This COVID crap sure sucks on so many levels.
I absolutely love your porch. What a lovely spot to enjoy life.
You are making terrific progress on your rug. I have not pulled a loop in at least a week, but did finish binding a little mat.
Sorry about the job, but at least it is just part time. When do you start back? It sounds like you adjusted to being off quite well. I remember you initially lamenting being off, but it's great, isn't it?
Your pie looks yummy!!!
Take good care :)

Deb J. in Utah said...

I love seeing all the things you have been up to. It's good to have a job to go back to, I suppose, especially when it offers health insurance. I am a teacher and we will be back on August 15, and I have also enjoyed more time at home since March. My husband decided to retire so he will be here holding down the fort while I keep the paychecks and health insurance. Hope you have a good week. See you again soon.

Donna said...

So happy you were able to come up with a solution for the frame. I want to go flee market shopping with you. Your rug is coming along great and yes I see that weird squirrel....what to do, what to do. Love love love your rock garden. Wish we lived closer as I have a bunch of succulents that are taking over my garden. I would pass them along to you. Thrilled that you got to visit with your friend...that sure is a great feeling. Sorry you'll be back to work soon.

Julia said...

I'm glad that your husband could improve your hooking floor frame. I hope it makes it easier for you to work on your beautiful rug. Yes, I see the acorn.

As an avid gardener, I know the hard work that goes into redoing a flower bed. Your rock garden is looking great.

I'm glad that you could get together with your good friend and catch up on things that is happening in your lives. That pie looks delicious.

I hope that your return to work part-time will make it easier for you to adjust.I'm enjoying staying at home.

Stay well and safe.
Hugs, Julia

Judy said...

I would have had my friend turn her head to one side and I would have turned mine to the other and hugged!

TheCrankyCrow said...

Well, sorry for your "bad" news...going back in the summer of all times kinda stinks...but I sure get the insurance thing. And what amazing scores you made at that sale. I would have opted for the Puritan frame though. I have to change my grippers on my frame...but not sure where to start....and then I would have to put new ones in. That sounds dangerous to a person who injures herself just hooking with them in the vicinity LOL. You are making great progress on your rug....I really love how you hooked the little kitty. What's the concern about squirrel? Looks like a squirrel to me?? ~Robin~

Hill Top Post said...

You scared me with that "bad news" label! "There never was an ill wind that didn't blow some good." I think the good in all of the bad has been in giving us time to catch up on some things that we just never had time to do. I love what you are doing with your plantings. I just finished tearing out a lot of old and then replanting them...kind of like playing musical chairs with plants. I am loving your rug!

Julie - My Primitive Heart said...

Hi Cathy,
What a great idea about your frames and I'm sure it will be great to use!!! You sure do have THE BEST SALES!!!!
Love the crow and maybe try spray paint to it won't crumble from a brush!!!
Your porch is such a wonderful spot and I would be out there all the time!!!
The blueberry pie looks DEVINE!!!!!!
Sorry you have to go back to work, but understand how important health insurance is!!!
So happy you got to spend time with your friend too!!! I sure do miss my friends and long for the day when we can get together again with no worries!!!
Hope you have a great week!
Heart Hugs~
Julie xo

Prims By The Water said...

Oh I wish I had a piece of that pie. I also want am enclosed porch like yours. So nice to sit out and not worry about the skeeters. Too bad you have to go back to work. Janice

oldgreymareprimitives said...

That pie looks wonderful. I do not do pies- I mean make them, I eat them -too often

I would go ahead and paint the crow base black and let it weather. The contrast will make the statue stand out, and I'd like the prim look better anyway of course.

Stay safe back at work

518frenchgirl said...

Oh my you've been very productive, garden remodel looks great, lots of work and sweat I know. I built stone wall terraces when we first built here 30+ yrs ago and fiddle around with them every year. Still don't know what I'm doing, lol. That pie, want to come right over. Wished we lived closer for many many reasons, love all the projects you busy yourself with. Going back to work won't even be a thing, you will always be productive and get your rythym again right away. Stay well Cathy.