Sunday, June 14, 2020

Into The Mountains

 
My very close friend and I met again this week for some social distance hiking. I have shown this hike before. It is easy with a good payoff at the end and on top of that it has lots of lady slippers along the trail this time of year!

We are watching a series on Acorn tv right now. It is about women ranchers. And she says "you know when I go to the city with all those people I feel lonely. But when the city people come here with this beautiful sky and land they feel lonely. They are crazy!" I guess it is all in prospective. I know I feel more comfortable in the quiet of the woods or on a old dirt road than when I get in the city. That is why I love to walk or hike. But of course I tripped on Tue before my hike and hyper extended my knee. It was bothering me a bit but after my walk yesterday yikes. So I am icing and taking Motrin and hope it calms down before this Tue for our next adventure. Plus I have walked so much in the past few weeks it feels weird not walking those 3 miles everyday. 


Some of my rug hooking friends keep in touch on messenger. We chat off and on most days, I love it there are 5 of us on it and it makes me not miss them so much. But the topic of beet greens came up yummmm
So I stopped at my local farm stand and yikes I do not mind paying a little more for local but not sure how much I will stop at his stand this year. (plus we have a garden when it gets going)



I took some of the beets off and roasted them. Husband was convinced he did not like beets. Since we were having grilled chicken on a salad I convinced him to put one beet on his salad.
"HMMM not bad at all pass the beets!"
The only reference to beets he had was pickled and he is not a pickle anything eater.

Today off to the mountains we went to meet up with my daughter, son in law, and Sweet B. We went to a little town that has the best main street! The reason for that was during the shut down I ordered from a little books store there to have it shipped to Sweet B. Well of course she already had one of the two things I shipped so we were returning one today and getting to spoil her a bit since things are opening. Most everyone was in Masks and hand sanitizer on the way in. So we really did feel safe about it. This town has the longest candy counter in the world and Sweet B had never been there. Heaven! Just a great day!
Look at that Sweet B all put out she has to have her picture taken. 
I love her to bits anyway lol.



I picked up this book to thumb through at a second hand store. Even though I said needle felting was not for me.


And I am making great progress on my rug. I am really enjoying this rug and will be sad when it is finished but I have one lined up for when it is. 
***
I went back to work this week kicking and screaming. I have been so happy at home. But back I went it was three shortened days for a total of 18 hours. People are slow to come back to shop, we did have some sales but we spent a lot of time cleaning and redoing the window. 
It was dusty from being closed up for 2 months. 
***
Have a wonderful week and if you are a PBS watcher Granchester is coming back on tonight!

10 comments:

Donna said...

You have such beautiful views for hiking and glad that you're back yo meeting up with your friend. How nice to wrap your arms around Miss B! Sad for you to be back to work and i agree...nice to kerp in touch with our fellow hookers. Stay healthy Roomie!

Saundra said...

OH MY GOODNESS!!!!! Look at the beautiful acorn you hooked in, I didn't notice that before until the background was hooked. I love beets and they are so healthy. And lots of sweet hugs from Ms B was your dessert for the day I'm sure.

Prims By The Water said...

So love seeing your beautiful mountains and so glad you were able to visit with Sweet B. Working our gift store this weekend, I had many many shoppers from other parts of our state. THey wanted to get out and decided to visit our quaint river town. So nice to see folks getting out again. Your rug is looking good too! I managed to pull a few loops on a Halloween project I drew. Janice

Rugs and Pugs said...

Miss B is getting so tall. So happy you got to spend time with her.
Back to work :( Boo hoo...but at least it is not full time and hopefully not for a while.
That is one HUGE rug and I can't believe how much you have gotten done. You are a hooking machine. I have never hooked anything that large. Are you hooking with just an 8?
I am not a beet fan...but I've never had them roasted. To be honest, I don't know if I've ever tasted them at all.

yaya said...

I'm playing catch up with my blog buddies. I feel like I've been away a long time! I love your pics of where you live and I would enjoy a hike there too! I hope your knee gets better soon. It's good to get back to some sort of normal and I hope it continues to get better as summer goes on. My hubby loves pickled beets but I've never tried roasted ones. I might have to do that one day! Have a good week and I hope your store gets busier. I'm on the verge of deciding if I should retire or just go PRN (that's where they call me if needed but I have the right to say yes or no). I loose some money if I go PRN so I have to jump or get off the fence! Take care!

Deb J. in Utah said...

So glad you are able to stay in touch with friends and family. I love that hike. Hope you knee continues to heal so it won't interfere with hiking. Have a good week.

Julia said...

I'm sorry about your knee injury. I hope it will be all better soon. Goodness, walking three miles a day is awesome. Such a beautiful view on your trail.

Miss B. must have been as happy as you were to finally be able to get to hug.

I love beets and last year, I froze beet greens. So yummy. after I blanch them I spin them in the salad spinner to remove as much water as I can before bagging it for the freezer. I never roasted beets. I must try that.

You've been busy with that rug. Hopefully, you will be able to retire soon.
HUgs, Julia

moosecraft said...

What a fun day with Miss B! Glad things are getting closer to normal near you! I do hope your knee heals quick....it's been the perfect weather for outdoor anything. A friend of ours made beets on the grill...VERY yummy....even my hubby enjoyed them, and he never eats beets! Hmmmm.... not liking beets must be a guy thing! lol!

TheCrankyCrow said...

What incredible views...WOW! Hard to imagine all that is within walking distance....hopefully the "return" hike is downhill LOL. My husband loves beets....me, nah...but have never had them roasted...nor have I had beet "greens." Glad to read that you got to see your sweet grand...you look so happy to have your arms around her. I have done quite a bit of needle felting...but not in a long while....nothing as intricate as the piece on that book cover....most of what I've done were animals and such. Your rug is looking incredible....still loving that kitteh LOL. ~Robin~

akindnest said...

Beautiful view and nice journey. I've never hiked for I'm not that strong, but seeing beautiful view from the above through pictures is so satisfying