Friday, August 26, 2022

Pickety Place

On Tuesday, husband treated me to Pickety Place in Mason NH.
It is 2 hours southwest of us. 


The likeness of the house was painted for a Little Red Riding Hood golden book in 1948. The house itself was built in 1786
They have run a restaurant of sorts out of this building for many years. I have been here a couple of times with girlfriends. 
Each month they come up with a 5-course menu based on what is available in their gardens. That menu stays all month you have a choice of vegetarian or meat but that is it. You can look up the menus to know what they are serving that month. 
We had their own crackers with cheese spread, a cold melon soup, a caprese salad, pork loin saltimbocca, blueberry/rhubarb pie with cinnamon mint whipped cream. Each plate was decorated with fresh herbs and eatable flowers. It was all delicious!

They have extensive gardens that were in very bad shape from the lack of rain and heat this summer. that part of the state they are in are in a severe drought. (We are abnormally dry) This was a drying shed 
it is old and leaning but cute. 

It had great windows. 

They had a carved stump turned into a free library. 

The stained-glass window in the back when you opened it was lovely.

And some carved owls kept guard.
I was such a lovely afternoon. We are trying to do more things like this before the winter closes in and to get us out of the house a bit. 
***
This summer I have not been able to focus on anything no reading, no hooking and some other things cropped up. I had to see the Dr for a checkup, so I talked to him about it. He wanted to take more blood work before we did anything else. Well, my thyroid med I have been on for years is way too much now. He is cutting it back and hopefully it makes a difference. I was shocked I have been on that same dose for years! 
***
Bad thunderstorms predicted for later today with maybe hail I sure hope not my tomatoes are really producing right now. 
Have a wonderful weekend!

12 comments:

Saundra said...

Glad they got your dosage right for thyroid. I get conflicting thyroid tests sometimes high and next time normal so no meds on that issue for me....yet. Sounds like a great meal and not so sure I'd been able to eat all of it at one sitting. I'd probably ask for carryout on the dessert.

kcmrugs@gmail.com said...

I take a blood test to see if my thyroid meds need tweaked every 6 months. I hope yours gets re-set. I love the place you visited; it looks magical

Hill Top Post said...

How special! I love that the menu is based on what’s growing in the garden, I am sure you will think back on this day come winter when the snow is flying.

TheCrankyCrow said...

Ahhhh...what a wonderfully special treat! Good on hubby. 😊 I would love to see the inside of "grandmother's house!" I am glad you found out about the med dosage and fingers crossed that the adjustment helps. Hope the severity of the storms miss you. Hail can be so nasty. We had such a nice gentle rain the night before last....reminded me of Camelot. ~Robin~

Julia said...

How kind of hubby to take you to different places now and then! I love the carved-out free library. Very unique.
I pretty well serve what comes out of the gardens too but my menu changes every day. lol.

My tomatoes are not producing because the deers are eating all the tiny tomatoes even before they develop. They were full of blossoms and as soon as the tomatoes starts to develop, they are eaten. 😭I had visions of making a lot of salsa for bottling. I no longer love deers.

Take care,
Julia

Deb J. in Utah said...

This looks like a super fun place to visit. I hope your doctor can get your meds straightened out so you will get feeling better. We are in a "super drought" out here in the Western U.S.. Global warming seems to be causing our entire nation to dry up. I hope you have a good weekend. See you again soon. :-)

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

We have also been to Pickity Place and enjoyed it very much. When we last visited, the tree had not yet been converted into a free library - how nice. Hope you will be feeling more energetic with a change in meds. Some days I fell less energetic and don't even have meds to "blame."

Prims By The Water said...

That menu sounds very scrumptious! What a fun way to spend the day. We are so fry here too in Michigan. Wish it would rain more here. What an awesome way to display a library. Very cool! Janice

Marcia said...

I have wanted to take my daughter there but the 90 minute drive just for lunch has been a stumbling block. I will get there one day.

Rugs and Pugs said...

That little library is just too cool!

Jeanie said...

I hope the thyroid med change is just what you need. And what a treat to visit such a lovely place. Yes, smart to do it while the weather is still nice and it sounds delicious, looks fascinating.

yaya said...

What a fun day trip. It sounds like a wonderful dinner. It reminds me of the "Lost Kitchen" in Maine that has a limited menu and serve dinners only until October. People have to send in post cards and wait to see if they are chosen to come and eat there. It's on Discovery Plus and I enjoy watching it. We've had plenty of rain this year and I won't complain about it except maybe for the mosquitoes that seem to have also grown with my grass! My tomatoes are getting too much rain but I've been able to can some and of course enjoy a fresh one daily! I'm looking forward to cooling temps this week and maybe a little feel of Fall. I know not everyone feels happy about that! Have a good week Cathy. P.S> I also take thyroid but have to have blood work done yearly to check my levels.