Tuesday, August 30, 2022

Another Adventure

All summer we take our morning coffee out on the porch which is in the front of the house. But this particular morning was a bit chilly, and I decided to take my coffee on the love seat in the kitchen (the back of the house) and saw this. So beautiful. It was the sun coming up through the trees and the fog. It felt like a gift. 
It has been far from chilly the past few days 97 on the bank sign today and HUMID. I am so looking forward to fall. 


 

I got a couple of walks in. I saw this jewel weed. It usually grows where poison ivy grows. Jewel weed can help with the rash that poison ivy gives. But look at that bloom it looks like an orchid. 

Monday my friend called, and we walked down to Squam Lake for a swim then out for drinks and nachos. A really pleasant afternoon. 

Today we went to a "famous" diner for breakfast. I do not think we will make a return trip, but it was still a nice day we went to Enfield NH to the shaker village. And as usual that happens to us it was closed but we walked around a bit. Look at this crazy amazing building!!! It is built with granite blocks.

One house was under repair but still old and beautiful. 

Founded in 1793, this village was the ninth of 18 Shaker communities to be established in this country. At its peak in the mid 19th century, the community was home to three “Families” of Shakers. Here, Brothers, Sisters, and children lived, worked, and worshiped. Here, they practiced equality of the sexes and races, celibacy, pacifism, and communal ownership of property.

Striving to create a heaven on earth, the Enfield Shakers built more than 100 buildings (including the Great Stone Dwelling, the largest-ever Shaker edifice), farmed over 3,000 acres of fertile land, educated children in model schools, and followed the “Shaker Way” of worship.

                                                    We will return when they are open. 



We were also in Norwich VT. This is the Norwich Inn. A lovely old building. 

In total awe of the fence, the curve of it ...

and how it gracefully turns the corner just lovely. 
But you know what else is in Norwich VT? King Arthur Flour home store. I love to walk around get wonderful ideas and maybe treat or two. I bought some powdered cheddar cheese for my bread making this fall and winter. Husband bought a few chocolate Croissants to bring home.

And speaking of baking I used my garden's garlic, tomatoes, and zucchini to make a yummy casserole. I added a few cheeses rolled the zucchini around the cheese and covered with my sauce and more cheese into the oven. It really was so tasty.  
***
I am on my new med who knows if it is working yet but I do have more energy. I do get a test once a year for my thyroid levels. This happened in a 9-month span since my last blood work. Who knows why after 26 years it changes???
***
Have a wonderful week!

10 comments:

kathyinozarks said...

Good morning-early-couldn't sleep. enjoyed your post sounds like a nice week. we love watching the sunrise in the early morning too-yours is so pretty amongst the trees.
oh wow I love King Arthur flour, have bought from their catalogues for many many years so cool you can visit them. also neat they have been around since the 1700's and are employee owned.
happy mid week and labor day weekend

Saundra said...

I love zucchini, tomatoes and garlic so would have helped you devour that meal. Actually zucchini is on my grocery list for today since I don't have a garden.

Marcia said...

In your travels you came fairly close to where we live now. We went to the Shaker Village in Enfield many many years ago when daughter was a freshman at Dartmouth and we came up from MD in the spring for parents weekend. The Norwich Inn figures in our history too because when said daughter married she and bridesmaids stayed at the Norwich Inn. I haven't been to King Arthur since we moved here in 2020.

yaya said...

That casserole looks amazing! I love using fresh produce from my garden. Taste is soHav much better! Your adventures are so fun. I love that pic of the sunrise. God is good! I'm glad you got your meds adjusted. Who knows why our bodies change but isn't it cool that they always let us know when we need a tune up?! It's been a bit cooler here so I hope it flies over the country to your neck of the woods...don't worry, I know Fall will be here soon and like you I can't wait!

Hill Top Post said...

The trees and the early morning sun certainly teamed up to create a beautiful gift for you. K What would we do without our King Arthur GF Flour? Like Kathy, I think it is pretty cool to be able to visit them at the store.

TheCrankyCrow said...

You know I am a bit envious of the history the New England area has... Wisconsin was so very late to the statehood party. Yes, some awesome Native American history, but you know what I am talking about. Beautiful view...your coffee/view reminds me of my mornings at the lake....and no, still haven't been able to go. An entire lake summer gone and no memories to tuck away. How lucky for you to be able to just walk to such a beautiful lake for a swim. (Not that I swim, mind you....but still.) I'm a King Arthur addict. I wish they carried Einkorn flour though. We've had some beautiful summer days here this week but they say it's going to get very sticky and hot the next 3 days or so. Not 97º hot, but still, hot for us Nodians. Stay cool... ~Robin~ (PS...yes, that fence is wonderful! I noticed it immediately in your very first photo and zoomed in. LOL)

WoolenSails said...

That is a beautiful photo, I do love when the sun beams through the trees or clouds. I enjoy going to historic places when they are closed, just walking around and seeing the buildings is fun. I looked through your old posts that I missed, you have been busy and Miss B is growing up so fast.

Debbie

Rugs and Pugs said...

Fun times!!!
I hope the new med is helping. I hate drugs...but sometimes a necessary evil.

Prims By The Water said...

How wonderful your adventure was. Love those old buildings and that fence is so amazing. They sure dont build things like that anymore which is such a shame. Even moulding in new houses are plastic and not wood. Such a shame. I simply love older homes and buildings. So much character. Janice

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Glad you had such a nice adventure with your friend, despite the diner not being a favorite and the Shaker village being closed. Companionship and an outing are what matter most and sounds like you had both. We also visited the village when it was closed, but still enjoyed a walk around as you did. Yes, to King Arthur in VT which we have also visited and will again as I use this flour exclusively. And, like yourself, I am more than ready for cooler temps to set in and stay😀

Still do not understand why your comments will not go through on my posts. Another blogger said she had issues leaving a comment when using Safari, but could comment using the Chrome browser. I only use the Safari browser now as Firefox created some issues on my older desktop. I am planning a future post to pose the question because my knowledge is limited after checking the settings in Google.