Sunday, August 16, 2020

Slowly It Turns

The hot and humid weather finally broke yesterday. It has been the hottest summer in a very long time. It has mainly been 90's and very humid we are usually low 80's and pretty dry. So this morning I got out and starting walking again. (Yes the best road to walk on.)

On my walk I found lots of this.... Yes it has been slowly changing to fall and because of the heat I have not noticed so much but today looking at my gardens and finding these it is surely knocking on the door.

My little garden is producing quite a bit right now. That is my first Heirloom tomato. I saved it to have nice thick slices on bread with mayo and salt and pepper.....heaven.

I made another batch of pasta sauce today that makes 3 batches so far. It is going to be a very tasty winter I think.

That is one tasty and beautiful tomato. There is nothing like a tomato fresh from the garden.


I got to spend the afternoon with Sweet B and her mom on Tuesday.
We went swimming and had a picnic. They also brought my Birthday gifts. Sweet B always draws in her cards and I love it!
This is a keeper. She made the heart a shark! She also chose wonderful gifts and told me the whole process of picking it. She makes my heart sing....
So this happened! Remember I told you last week we went Kayaking well I think I got bitten by something that was in the kayak with me. My ankle blew up became red hot and started up my leg. I took myself to the Dr and yep they think it was a spider but could not find the bite mark. I am on antibiotics and it is much better. First we have nothing poison here in NH and second I have never had that happen ever in my life before. They wanted me back in 3 days by then it had gone down a lot but I had a big black and blue on the top of my foot. That is where it bit me. 2020 what a year!
While I was taking it easy I watched a lot of  Hercule Poirot by Agatha Christy. I love his quirky ways. 

It has cooled off enough so we can have camp fires. The peepers are happy and singing every night and yes last night a sweat shirt was needed. I love that kind of weather..
****
The college kids came back this weekend. So the area is pretty busy with all the tourist and kids. I am hoping for a good year 
and saying a little prayer every night for my sweet B and my daughter for their return to school. Not sure how much we will get to see them once they go back, we will wait and see. 
Have a wonderful week!

10 comments:

Saundra said...

Wow, brown recluse spiders can be dangerous. A few years ago I was visiting someone in the hospital and in the elevator there was a man with a black hand. Turns out he was camping and had been bitten by a brown recluse spider. At that point they weren't sure if he would need to have his hand amputated or not. He probably didn't go to a doctor as soon as you did since it wasn't his state, was on vacation and didn't think it was important at first. Glad you chose to have it looked at immediately.

Rugs and Pugs said...

So happy your foot is getting back to normal. Scary stuff.
Temps in Ohio are so pleasant and we finally got some much needed rain yesterday. We are not cool enough at night for a fire, but it's great sleeping weather.
Are the schools in NH opening to students? Here in northern Ohio, most of the schools are going to be all virtual or only having the students attending a day or two a week. I do believe their education is going to suffer immensely.
2020 is a year to forget.

yaya said...

I'm glad your foot is better. You saw the bite I got this year. It turned to cellulitis fast but, like you, an antibiotic cleared it up. Our temps have been better but no campfires yet. Happy birthday and it sounds like you enjoyed spending it with your family. Have a good week!

WoolenSails said...

That is scary, but I have noticed that when I get bit by anything, I get more reaction now. Not sure if it is me or the bugs are getting more toxic, lol. It is nice to have cooler temps, just being able to sit outside and breath is a blessing, no more hot ovens. I do. hope they get the numbers done here so we can get up there soon.

Debbie

TheCrankyCrow said...

Oh that road is pure heaven in my book!! I love, love, LOVE, roads like that....it's going to be amazing in the fall!!! Please do show us another photo then!! Yikes about the bite....There is something very, very, strange going on with insects this year I think. For years, we have had hornets (or wasps??? have never been clear on the distinction) that make nests under our eaves.... They are very docile and I don't bother them because they don't bother me....you would have to intentionally smash them before they would sting..... But this year, we have had colonies of some kind of bees/wasps/hornets that are popping up everywhere....EXTREMELY aggressive. I accidentally moved a planter that apparently was being used as a home by them and was stung over a dozen times.....right through my gardening gloves. And such weird bites....they hurt and itched initially, but after treating them, it seemed tolerable....but there was a delayed reaction.....My wrist and hand swelled up like crazy and the itching and burning would wake me in the night....and bruising as you said.... I have never been "bruised" by a bite. What the heck??? Glad you got to have some quality time with B.... School is going to be virtual here I guess....against the majority's wishes. Our world is upside down me thinks. ~Robin~

Janet-Olde Crow Primitives said...

Happy that your foot is better now. We have been getting a little cooler weather too here in Ontario which I just love. Trees have a slight tinge to them this week. I am seeing the fall mums becoming available in the garden centres. I'll be planting some this weekend. Your heirloom tomatoes look great.

Kay G. said...

My husband was bitten by a brown recluse spider once, he still has the scar! Love your tomatoes! And I totally adore Hercule Poirot also! That actor
David Suchet is so good! Maples are among the first trees to change color in the autumn, ready for cool weather!

Farm Girl said...

What a beautiful place to walk. I love that picture. I am so sorry you got bit by something. Since moving I have been eaten alive by mosquitoes. Almost like noseeums.
Really weird for me. But then its hot now so who wants to be outside.
What a sweet card. I am glad you got to spend time like that.
Your garden is really producing. That is awesome. It made me hungry looking at all of that goodness.
I hope you have had a nice week. I hope you have even a better weekend.

Julia said...

Happy belated Birthday Cathy. I love that cute card too.

So sorry you got bitten by s spider. It happened to me last year. I had to go to the emergency in the hospital to get on an antibiotic as the redness kept spreading and it was infected. The pharmacist had a look at my thigh and said to go into the emergency.
I found a big dead spider in my bed when I changed my sheets. It must have gotten onto my sheets on the line.

Like you, my garden is keeping me busy harvesting and I love the cooler temperature after such a hot summer but we desperately need some rain.
Wishing you a speedy recovery.
Hugs, Julia

Hill Top Post said...

I enjoyed everything about this post...well, except for the spider bite. I could walk that road and love every minute of it. I am already looking for leaves that are showing a bit of color. So far, I have only noticed a few orange leaves on a little sassafras tree. You have just inspired me to get to work on the fire pit I have been thinking about so we can have camp fires in our back yard. And, I do love that shark's mouth!