Sunday, June 24, 2018

Summer!!!

The summer solstice happened this week.
Let summer begin.

I am trying to get up early to walk. I need
to take off a few more pounds. It has been harder than it has ever been. I was happy being a chubby grandmother but because of a little health blip I needed to lose some weight. 
So I walk and diet. 
*****

 
I found this hand thrown bowl for 1.00 it is dated 1958 I thought I would use it for my worms.

I am working on stair risers slow but sure.
I also have a stack of books calling my name I want to read.
There is just not enough hours in the day!

Because I have been trying to lose weight I haven't been cooking or baking much (so sad it makes me so happy to cook) So I did a batch of scones. Sat morning I had half a scone and half today.
I took a few to a friend So there is just enough for Husband.
I was also given a 1/2 of a gallon of very very ripe strawberries.
So I dug out the ice cream maker and made some strawberry ice cream. Which I like but I can stay away from that no problem
with the rest of the strawberries,I made some compound butter for my scones sooo yummy.

Today we drove to Vermont for lunch at king Arthur Flour.
I had a salad and husband had an  amazing sandwich on their amazing bread. I stopped for a coffee on the way out and husband grabbed a couple of goodies. We are having Sweet B overnight tomorrow night so we have something yummy for a treat.

Tomorrow is husband's birthday. 7 years ago we didn't think he had 6 months to live. A very long road but we are so grateful for each birthday and for this life we have!
****
Next weekend we are off to a friends house for a very large lake side clam and lobster bake. Yea for Summer!
***
Have a great week!

6 comments:

Rugs and Pugs said...

Good luck with the weight loss. The older we get, the harder it is to lose!
Has it really been 7 years since hubby's health crisis? I had no idea it was that long ago. You two both look terrific ❤️❤️❤️

Julia said...

Hard to believe, Junes is almost over and summer is here.
Happy Belated Birthday to David. Wow, has it been 7 years already? That is unbelievable... He sure looks healthy and that's such a great picture of you both.
I'm so envious of your seafood bash. You know how I love seafood...

I love that wooden bowl. In very good condition for 60years old.
Enjoy little Miss B.
Have a great week.
Hugs, Julia

WoolenSails said...

Sounds like a nice day and I hope your husband has many more birthdays ahead.
I have never had compound butter, usually I put butter on my popovers and my homemade jelly, which is just whatever I have, simmered till soft. I usually do pineapple and apple or one with blueberries, since I can eat those without sugar.

Debbie

moosecraft said...

A very happy Birthday to dear husband!!! :-)
And yes, hurray for Summer! It's so nice to be able to get outside for walks and enjoy some sunshine...and all of the fresh fruits and veggies that are available at market!
My hubby and I are having fun grilling nearly every day. We take a lot of fresh veggies and toss with olive oil, salt & pepper and then make a foil pocket, Put that on the grill the same time as the chicken, beef or pork...and the result is a delicious healthy meal with little clean up. This has helped us with our "fluffy middles" too! ;-)

Saundra said...

I used to love making and eating blueberry scones and baked lots of stuff before. But, as we age our metabolism changes so definitely changed my diet completely. Where does the time go??? The 7 years have flown by and happy Birthday to him.

yaya said...

Lakes, clams, lobster..oh my! Your photo is beautiful! Hubby and you look so nice and I'm happy he's done so well. I remember when you were going through those early days of doubt and scary diagnosis. Prayers do work! Enjoy the Summer and Miss B!