Wednesday, November 3, 2021

The last Goodbye

Our beautiful fall has fallen away. We had our first frost 
and the nights are cold and the days just don't warm up as much. 
It was a beautiful fall, great color and lovely warm days. 
I will remember them when the snow finally flies here.

Halloween is a family affair ever since Sweet B was small.
Her other grandparents invited us over for a pre-trick or treat dinner. and off we went.

On the last leg of the tour around town the two grandfathers were done in. Yes that is my husband as a jar of salsa. 
PS he hates salsa lol.
and after the trick or treating there were drinks and dessert at my son in law's grandmother's, just a fun night.

And the riding lessons go on. She was invited to work a few hours at the farm which she leaped at. It will do her good to see the work and time that goes into the care of these animals.

I am still working on my large scarf. I have watched you tube videos until I am crossed eyed. I was working on it at work and a lovely woman came in and started talking to me about it. I told her I was just a beginner and it had a few mistakes, She said " That is just how you customize it" I told her I was stealing that saying. So this is very customized! 

I also have two rugs going at once which is so not like me at all!
I have the background for my fish rug and then I started this one. I am really enjoying working on this rug so far. 
And today we said goodbye to my dear sweet aunt.
It hurts my heart every time I think about it.
She is my mother's oldest sister (my mother passed 13 years ago) she was 97 years 9 months 11 days old. She was pretty self sufficient until she got break through covid and that did her in. 
She was very important in my life. We didn't have much when I was  growing up and she filled in the gaps for me. She took me to art classes and bought my first barbie for starters and I could go on and on and on. 
They had graveside services and the minister remarked that usually when he did a funeral for someone 97 you get a handful of people but today there were many many people at her grave side saying their last goodbyes. I was so blessed to have her in my life for so long. I will miss her so much. 
****
I am off on Friday for a very fun overnight with girl friends.
There will be five of us gathering at my friend's lake home where we will eat, drink, and laugh until all hours of the night.
It is a grown up sleepover just the best kind.
then the next day we are antiquing, and shopping  until the day is done. It has been a few years since we have done this, we are all looking forward to it so much. 
Have a wonderful week! 
 



12 comments:

Olde Dame Holly said...

Oh gosh, your upcoming sleepover sounds so fun! What a fun Halloween you had, with your wonderful family/in-laws. Hubby's costume is unique! I have never seen a jar of salsa costume before! Will Sweet B's horse riding lessons continue in winter?

Saundra said...

Loving your Fox rug who did the pattern? I finally turned the heat on and today put on my turtleneck top with a flannel shirt so things are changing here too.

It is a very good thing B is working at the farm so she can get hands on to know what work goes into caring for horses including cleaning out stables.

Deb J. in Utah said...

So sorry for the loss of your aunt. That is hard. I lost one aunt to Covid last January and almost lost another one just last week because she refused to get the vaccine. Sounds like you had a very fun Halloween. Enjoy your weekend!

Julia said...

I'm so sorry for the passing of your aunt. She sounds like a very special person in your life. My sympathy and Hugs.

What a creative costume your husband wore. I would have never thought of that. I'm sure you'll have way too much fun at your girl sleepover and I'm jealous. It should make a good blogger post. Good for Miss B. to help at the stable. It will be a good experience for her.

We had our first frost this morning and everything looks dead in the garden but it was a wonderful day to work outside.

Take care and have fun.
Hugs, Julia

Prims By The Water said...

So sorry about your aunt. Good byes are always so hard no matter what the age. Good for Miss B to help out with the animals. I grew up on my grandparents farms in the Summer months, and I always say kids should work on a farm to know how hard our farmers work to put food on our tables. Janice

Rugs and Pugs said...

Love the Halloween pic with your DD and Miss B. Fun pic of hubby, too.
Your knitting is looking good to me...so is the new rug.
What fun for Miss B working at the farm. I bet it doesn't feel like work to her.
So sorry for the loss of your special aunt. Big hugs. She sounded like an incredible woman. How lucky to have had her in your life.

TheCrankyCrow said...

So very sorry to read of your loss, Cathy...praying you find comfort in your memories of her and knowledge that her spirit will always be alive in your heart. It sounds as though she had a long, fulfilling and productive life. Is that sweet little you in the witch attire?? Too cute! I am loving your Christmas Fox...it does look like a fun one. Have a great time on your sleepover!! (Although I think that wish is unnecessary as how could you not have fun??) Looking forward to photos!! Enjoy! ~Robin~

Hill Top Post said...

My granddaughter has been taking riding lessons for several years, and also works at the barn which has been so good for her. A day out with the girls sounds so fun. I am almost envious.

Dicky Bird said...

Sorry about your aunt. Oh these pictures look like you all had such fun! My girls did years of riding lessons. Now my eldest has her own equine clinic where she works with children as part of her counseling social work. Wisconsin had a beautiful fall as well.

yaya said...

I'm so sorry Cathy for the passing of your beloved Aunt. 97yrs is a wonderful life but I always say it doesn't matter how long we have our loved ones, it's never long enough. I'll send up prayers for some comfort for you. I loved your Halloween costume and the fun evening to go with it! I think it's so great to celebrate with the kids..gives us the excuse to be kiddos for an evening! Have fun at your sleepover and don't go toilet papering anyone's house..wait, I guess I was just thinking of my younger sleepovers as a kid! Have a good weekend!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

My condolences, Cathy, on the passing of your aunt and how lovely that so many people came to bid her farewell, which shows how very special she was to many others as well, a life well lived. The family Halloween festivities looked to be a lot of fun for all. Yes, we have had a bit of frost as well, but this coming weeks daytime temps will be warming up and one day it will be in the low 60s. That said, I know that winter will come soon enough, but still enjoying fall weather.

Saimi said...

Ok, love your Halloween tradition and the costumes were great! What a wonderful life your aunt must have had and the health to live as long as she did. How wonderful that she had so many people come and say goodbye. You girls must have had a blast spending a girls getaway, we do something similar. Lots of girls, laughing and food not to mention quilting for 4 days. Our quilt group goes on a retreat every year. Thank you for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment it's always fun to meet new friends. Oh and I just gotta mention that your sweet B is a girl after my own heart. Horse lessons and working on a farm, that's the way to grow up!! Our temp are dropping and the nights are getting cold. burr!!!
Take care and hope to see more of you!
Saimi