Sunday, September 20, 2020

There Was An Old Lady Who Swallowed A Fly


This was suppose to be our week on Star Island for our rug hooking retreat. 



Because of covid we did not go, no one did. It must of been one lonely island this year. How I missed it....

So I stayed busy, I hooked the purple I started with and added white on the stockings.
(the stripe underneath is a whole different rug.)


I pulled the yellow I started with out of the buckle and the pumpkins eyes etc and replaced it with a brighter yellow it made all the difference!

I added a spider and voila done! now all I have to do is the binding ick. 

On my walk today I noticed color starting to show. Still have a couple of weeks before it is at peak but still pretty.

This is the third night of frost warning so I picked some  
of my hydrangeas and dropped some at friends before the frost gets them and turns them brown. A lot of happy faces when I showed up and dropped them on their porches.



I have been cleaning out drawers and my pantry. It is better organised so I can see what I have. 

I worked cutting and pulling things out of my garden today. 
very sad to see things go. Lots of hard work putting those gardens to bed for the winter. We pulled out our head stone and with the crow it looks a little spooky, nevermore...

And I hung the plastic lantern over our lamp on the driveway. It just makes me smile.

I was having my evening tea and a a fly was buzzing around. I shooed it away from my tea and never saw it again. Well it drowned in my cup!!!! I did not swallow it but OMG how disgusting! I was having a fit ran up stairs for some mouthwash and bushing my teeth. My husband was almost rolling on the floor laughing. 
Just ICK!

As most of you know I manage a used bookstore. Everyday since we opened back up someone has thanked me for being there and the store being open. At first I thought they were just glad to be out of the house but now I think they are happy they can buy books again.
Most of our libraries are curb side or make and appointment which is a hassle when you just want to drop in and look around. I have also sold more puzzles than ever! I had a sales person tell me her sales are up 200 percent! on puzzles alone! And puzzles are hard to get most  items are out of stock. People are starting to think about tucking in for the winter I think.
***
Have a great week and stay healthy!


8 comments:

Julie - My Primitive Heart said...

Hi Cathy,
Love your cute rug and your decorations!! So fun!!! I would be just like you about that fly!! Yuck!! I HATE BUGS......PERIOD!!! lol
My daughter is a Librarian and they are still not open, but they do let the people come up to the entrance and have been very busy!! They are so anxious to be able to finally use their library again, but still not sure when that will happen!!!
Take care and keep well!
Heart Hugs~
Julie xo

Saundra said...

WOW, you did a great job on those stockings!!!!!!!! And you stayed true to your purple. Yucky-poo on the fly and just realized I'm making a scrunched up face in response. Oh well, think of it as getting a little protein ha ha ha ha.

moosecraft said...

That Star Island sounds and looks like a magical place! Next visit will be all the more special! :-)
I'm stocking up for Winter....that's for sure! This is the earliest it's been so cool here (that I can remember)....I have a feeling it's going to be a snowy one!

yaya said...

I would be sad to have missed that trip to such a beautiful place. Hopefully next year won't disappoint. I LOVE that rug! It's adorable and believe me...I know Halloween! I've been slowly putting out my Halloween things and with Fall officially here tomorrow I think I may just go and finish it all up. For some reason I feel the need to get it done earlier than usual. Probably because I have a little more time to do it this year and I have family coming in a few weeks and I want to have it done without rushing. I'm sorry but I had to laugh about the fly. I would have probably thrown up! If it makes you feel any better I was getting ready to mow the yard, grabbed the gas can to fill the tank and didn't see the wasp on the handle. I dropped the gas can, spilled gas on my flowers, and then stomped the heck out of the wasp. After icing my hand and a little baking soda paste it finally stopped hurting. I think I may have taken a fly in my tea instead! (Hmmm...sounds like the makings of a children's book!) Have a good week. My sister has turned into a puzzle queen and I understand why this year is a good puzzle year!

Rugs and Pugs said...

Not being at Star Island is just so sad!!!
Love your rug. You did a great job figuring out the colors. Just in time for Halloween.
The fly story...UGH!!! Next time I hope one drowns in hubby's beverage...lol!

Prims By The Water said...

I would have done the same if I saw a fly in my drink. We have a maple in back that is the prettiest red colored fall tree right now. Not in my yard, but beautiful anyways! I never thought of purple and white stripe for your witch boot. PERFECT! Janice

Hill Top Post said...

I love the spider- the perfect finishing touch! I wouldn’t be surprised if this winter turned out to be a humdinger! I, am sure you met that prediction with a profound shiver! :-)

TheCrankyCrow said...

LOVE the rug and your little tweaks!! The striped socks and spidy are PERFECT!!! You really are a fast hooker....and me, well I have done no hooking, stitching, punching or anything else crafty in weeks....other than put together a jar of "werewolf fur" for a friend who asked. Hope I'm not heading into another slump....because that usually means I disappear into books....and I am spending a small fortune on them. Can't do reading from a tablet.... I can imagine how grateful readers are for your store being opened... Funny (for us, but not for you I'm sure) story about the fly in your tea. I rather not conjure memories of some of the unsavory things I have swallowed LOL. Yes, fall is here to stay.... I think they are call for 2 or 3 days this week of warmer temps this week and then that's it before h*%! freezes over...again. I brought Hydrangeas in several times already...but every time I turned my back, my cat had them dragged all over the house. Finally gave up. ~Robin~