Sunday, July 12, 2020

What A Week

We had more rain this past week some of it very pounding rain which is never helpful but the rainbow after is pretty.



We got out in our kayaks..

Saw some geese, we guess it is a mom and her almost adult babies.

And a tree that use to hang over the water was make quick work of by the beavers.

Things were blooming I believe this is purple lose strife.


I weeded my veggie garden and worked a bit in my flower gardens it was so humid I didn't do much I am good for nothing when it is that hot and humid.

I know I showed these last week but they are doing amazing and will bloom until the first hard frost.


My delphinium are just getting ready to open too. 

This is a hosta bloom and that is a bee butt lol. He or she was very busy.

When I planted my garden this spring I tried to get zucchini plants
no luck. Except this one garden center had something called 8 ball zucchini. I had no idea and the young girl helping had no idea so I bought two plants any way. They are round! and they are delicious! Very much like normal zucchini but a bit nuttier I think.

We had our first pick of peas around the 4th. there is something about picking veggies from your own garden and having them for Dinner. So good!

Back to zucchini I picked my first one today and I found a recipe for poor man's crab cakes on line. They were so good you do not miss the crab at all!use this link to go to Happier than a pig in mud blog

Then I found a recipe for brown butter chicken. Very much like a milder easier version of chicken piccada.

I finished my rug, all bound and on the floor all I have left is a label.
I am very happy with this rug and yes it even seemed fast to me.

 I am working on my stair risers again. I had them hooked but not bound, after I get one more bound I will have three left to do.
I really love them but I am looking forward to getting them done.
***
We are off blueberry picking tomorrow. We hope to get out early we are in a heat wave I hate to say it but it makes me look forward to fall.
We saw this today, this little tree is already starting to turn it will not be long I know so I will try to find joy in each day hot or not.
Have a great week!


16 comments:

TheCrankyCrow said...

Your rug is FABULOUS!! And not only a quick finish, but a quick binding job as well. I am truly impressed. Your garden plants are beautiful as well. I miss having a garden because, as you say, there is nothing like harvesting your own produce...but my back can't do it...and we don't actually cook a whole lot anymore....so it would not pay. Your plants seem ahead of us in some ways, and slower in others....my delphinium is all but done blooming...as are my climbing roses, but no zucchini or blueberries yet that I know of. Love, love, love your Columbine....but I'd fight you for fresh peas any day LOL. I can't get enough of garden fresh peas. Our humidity has left...and it was a beautiful day here...Not too hot, not too cold. Hope you get some of this weather soon. Sunday Blessings ~ Robin~

Saundra said...

That poor man's crab cake sounds wonderful because zucchini is a constant veggie in my house and would be a great change of pace for it's use. Your rug is delightful!!!

Prims By The Water said...

WOOHOO you finished your rug. I wish we had stairs so I hook some myself. Then again probably would have no time. We finally had a storm come in o Friday and lost power for a bit at our stores and home, however the rain was much needed. Janice

newburyarts said...

Rug looks great. If we have the gathering in Eliot I will bring mine along. Its a nice design. We're not here on the coast too...but the humidity had gone. Your gardens are wonderful.
I'll be in touch. Have a good week. Temps supposed to drop by Tuesday. Is the doggie back home?

yaya said...

It's been hot and humid here too. I was doing pretty good with my flower beds but the last few weeks things have gotten a bit out of hand again! I can never get delphiniums to come back. I've tried about 3 times and they just don't make it over the winter. Anyway, have a great week and I'm like you..I prefer Fall and Spring and hate the extreme heat and humidity.

WoolenSails said...

Looks like a busy week and paddling on the lake makes me miss being up there. Hopefully we can get up there for some weekend trips if things quiet down. Way too hot here too.

Debbie

moosecraft said...

I agree! Nothing better than having fresh from the garden! After we move, I hope to plant a HUGE garden every year... right now it's just tomatoes. Beautiful blooms and hope you picked MANY blueberries!

Donna said...

Love this blog post...so much to say. Your flowers are beautiful. What are the bright pink ones you say will bloom all summer..poor man's crab cakes sound delicious will have to give those a try.

Julia said...

Your rug looks beautiful. You should be so pleased.
Your flowers are all beautiful and I must try ball zucchini.I've seen them in seed catalogs.
I've printed the recipe Poor Man's Crab Cakes and can't wait to try it when my zucchinis are ready. They were planted very late.

Stay well and happy.
Hugs, Julia


Rugs and Pugs said...

It sounds like you had a great week!
Your rug is absolutely wonderful...and your stair risers are going to be so awesome. Love the FD one.
Fresh blueberries...YUM!

Hill Top Post said...

I love reading about your kayaking adventures. You are brave! The rug is perfect and so nicely done! Your gardens are having such a good year with your gardens, both veggies and flowers. The days are growing shorter, and there's still much to do!

Janet-Olde Crow Primitives said...

Love your rug. It looks great. I need to get some of that purple loostrife, I have white. Love your garden pictures. Have a great day.

Shilpa said...

A very happening post . Thanks for sharing .beautiful pictures too

Farm Girl said...

I am no good when it get humid either. I love your rug. You did such a nice job. Your flowers are amazing. I could plant one of those kinds of zucchinis in a pot. We still have a long growing season here.
You asked how far I moved? About 15 minutes further from my old house. I am further out of town, but now only five minutes from two of our married kids. Only 10 minutes from our youngest sons. Its very nice to be closer to them, because they just pop in to see how things are going.
We lived in that house 20 years, all our kids lived there and I am sure you know none of them ever take their stuff. So not only my own junk, but theirs too. That was the hardest.
Thank you for asking. For the first time in my life, I have high speed internet. It just makes me giggle. We hope to be able to travel more.
Kim

Julie - My Primitive Heart said...

Hi Cathy,
Always love to see your beautiful area!! So sorry for your heat wave!! We are ALWAYS HOT here in Arizona, but I will say we don't have the high humidity you deal with, EXCEPT during Monsoon season, which will be upon us soon!! This morning at 5:30 am it was 30% and 91 degrees on our walk, so that just tells you what we are dealing with!! We have an EXTREME HEAT ADVISORY today till 10pm and so are staying inside where it is cool!! Thank God for AC!!!!
I have never seen zucchini like that and nice to know they taste good!! Your rug is just beautiful and you did a great job with it!!! Hope you get some relief from your hot spell soon!!!
Enjoy your week!
Heart Hugs~
Julie xo

Chatty Crone said...

I agree with everyone here - but I LOVE the individual painted steps - awesome.