Monday, May 25, 2020

Pickle Jar

We were able to get out on the water again this week.

It was just beautiful with the water sparkling. It was a calm wonderful couple of hours.

The wild lady slippers came back again this year. I am so happy they are a joy to look at and so pleased they chose our woods to grow in.

 
We have been gardening most days that the bugs do not 
drive us crazy! It is looking pretty good this is sweet wood-ruffs


My white bleeding hearts are in bloom I have to move them they never seem to get bigger.

And of course my hens and chicks are all tucked in my rock wall.
I love the look. And the best part they were a gift from a friend, (who has passed away now )from her garden. Makes me think of her every time.

Ok the Never Never rug. I have gotten a good start on it. But the funny thing is I had a color plan all set, gathered all the wool, and now I have changed the color plan at least two times since I started!

This is the tree trunk ( my husband does not like that bird there lol)
the bottom was the original plan, the the top was the back ground plan. So I hate the light for the tree and love the darker one so I am swapping the plan, light back ground dark tree. What do you think? Your honest opinion is wanted.

I have just the sweetest friends! I received this in the mail this week.

It is for sorting your strips and keeping organized. She must of seen my mess at Star Island last year lol. I love it and husband is impressed I do not have a pile of strips on the arm of the chair.

Holy pickle jar! this is the before and yes I love to snack on pickles!

This is after, I have a safe place to store my flour and no bugs can get in. On the top I write the expiration date that was on the bag. The worst part was getting the pickle smell out. 
***
Some of the family had a gathering this weekend (9 adults 3 small kids not counting us) I did not feel it was the right time for us to break our quarantine but husband had to decide for himself. He decided it was best to wait for a smaller group to break our quarantine with. It made it very hard and sad but we have been through the fire (his bone marrow transplant) and our goal is to keep him as healthy as possible.
***
We are in for some heat and humidity not my favorite but this too shall pass. Have a happy healthy week.


11 comments:

Saundra said...

I totally agree with your husband on the bird. Lucky you to be snacking only on pickles, if only that was me. I do love kosher dill pickles and will sometimes just sip on the liquid. If only it would end there with the snacks, lol.

Deb J. in Utah said...

I love your garden, and that rug. I am with you on not breaking your quarantine just yet. My husband also had a severe health issue about two years ago and while he is doing very well, I do not want to take any chances at all. Staying home and staying safe is best, although it sure is hard to miss out on family events. Take care and see you again soon!

moosecraft said...

Flowers from friends gardens are the BEST! Boat rides on a sparkling lake are a piece of heaven! It's sooooo relaxing....
I like the dark tree with light background.
While it was difficult, I think waiting a bit longer for a smaller gathering was the right choice.... hugs!

Julia said...

Ooh, Lady's Slippers are so pretty. Lucky you to have some nearby. I have pink bleeding hearts, not yet in bloom. I love that white bleeding heart. I agree with you about keeping a safe distance especially to protect your husband even if he doing so well.
I'm not sure about what background would be best for your rug.
Stay well and safe.

Stay well and safe,
Hugs, Julia

yaya said...

We've got your heat and humidity and I guess we're sending it your way as the weekend is looking much cooler. I would go with the darker trunk on the tree. I'm not a hooker so don't go by what I say, Ha! Your flowers are lovely and so welcomed after a cold and a bit snowy Spring. Have a good week and enjoy the beautiful water! Good for you for taking caution over fun but it sure is hard to pass up family time. I'm so over this whole thing but the "whole thing" isn't over us yet! Take care and stay safe!

TheCrankyCrow said...

I love, love, love, Lady's Slippers! How lucky of you to have them....in all my years here in Nod (most of my childhood ones spent scrounging our 80-acres for wildflowers and such) I have never ever seen any. Your hen and chicks are so pretty too...my mum always said that flowers that are given to you from a friend's garden will always thrive. Hmmm....debating on your question about the wool choices.... Let me preface this by saying I am NOT a visual person LOL...so you can probably take my comment in this regard with a grain of salt....but, here goes anyways.... While I typically prefer dark backgrounds..for some reason, I am thinking that I am liking the dark better for the tree trunk and the lighter for the background... Something about tree trunks always appearing darker in nature perhaps?? Looking forward to learning of your choice.... ~Robin~

kcmrugs@gmail.com said...

I search for wildflowers when I walk- they cheer my heart.
I lived in Mount Olive , NC where your pickles are from!
Back in 1989 the huge outdoor store vats were uncovered.
We love the pickles anyway.

Julie - My Primitive Heart said...

Hi Cathy,
I have to confess a sense of envy when I see your beautiful lake pictures and those flowers!! Wish I could "blink" myself there, especially right now, as it will be 109 today!!!!
I think you and my son in law would be very close in your love of pickles!! Great way to use the jar, too!!!!
Love your new rug and since you asked for input, I think the dark color for the bark and the light for the background!! Hope that helps!!!
Hope your get together goes well and you enjoy being with loved ones again!!
Take care and have a great week!
Heart Hugs~
Julie xo

Rugs and Pugs said...

I have never seen a Lady Slipper nor a white bleeding heart. Both so beautiful.
You are off to a great start on your new rug!!!
Darn squirrels have destroyed my hen and chicks the last few years. ARGH!

Donna said...

What a treat to see a white bleeding heart. I've bever seen one nor have i seen a lady slipper..so thanks for that. As for your rug i believe i would go with the dark for the trunk and light for the background..but with that being said i would use a solid light color...no texture as it would define the other items better. My 2 cents free!!
*i agree with David, not a fan of the bird in the trunk. Now will that flour make "sour dough" bread.? Stay safe my friend.

518frenchgirl said...

Hi Cathy, I was eager to find out how Never, Never is coming along. I have never hooked a light background, so I say "go for it". Your lady's slippers are so pretty! We broke quarantine just recently and only with part of our family, totally understand being cautious. We also cancelled our June camping trip rather than be unwelcomed as out of staters. You really never know how people may react, even though we are very rural here. Take care, the lake is a great place to social distance.