Sunday, April 19, 2020

Progress

I did get more of my rug done. I have chosen a black background.

Because I wanted some mottling I threw the black wool in a pot with some tide and let it bleed some color. Then I transferred to another pan put in some vinegar to set it.

I had a pan of black dye left so I pulled some wool I might not use as it.

And threw it in the pot and let it go. Good results!

And this is my wool before and after. Next time I might scrunch it up with elastics to get a more even mottle.


We had a beautiful day today so after a walk I pulled out the cleaning supplies and attacked the porch. I had to get all the winter dust and dirt off but oh I am so happy to see it come to life!

a spring wreath on the door


And a bunny on the door step voila ready for warm weather!

I finally baked something I am proud of! I have had a tough time baking. I do ok but not to what I usually do. These a Japanese milk bread rolls. 

Sooooo good. And because of the process of how they are made.  they stay nice and soft. 

Fish was hard to find this week, but I was able to get some scallops.
I wrapped them in bacon voila yummy appetizers.  

Not much of a picture but our peas went in today.
It makes me hopeful, I am not much of gardener but I usually do some tomatoes, cukes, and basil so I thought we would branch out a bit.
That is my week of making progress.
My sweet B was sad that school has been canceled for the rest of the year. On line only. this is when being an only child can be hard.
But gramie and Pepe to the rescue I found a local book store that was doing orders I ordered a couple of Lego sets and had them sent to her.They arrived the next day! Sadly she had one of them but she had a big smile and was doing the other one. I promised once this is over we will make a trip to that store and she can exchange it for what ever she wants! 
***
I hope you are all happy, doing well. and making progress.


14 comments:

Hill Top Post said...

Wow, what a beautiful porch. I love everything about it. Of course the focal point is the rug on the wall which I am sure you made.

Prims By The Water said...

Your porch is so inviting. Wish I had one like yours. Good for you getting your peas planted. Your rug is coming along good too! Janice

Rugs and Pugs said...

Your rug is looking WONDERFUL! That pattern is in a book I have. Maybe some day.
I just love your porch. Simply beautiful.
And those bacon wrapped scallops. YUM!
Take good care :)

Chris Lally said...

Thanks for sharing your wonderful week with us! Enjoyed hearing about the rug, the BEAUTIFUL porch, and all the little things that make our days special. And now your grandchild has something to look forward to:) Great post! Can't wait to hear how your garden grows!

WoolenSails said...

Looks like you are keeping busy with making a beautiful rug and things at home.
It is hard not seeing our grandkids, but I did the same thing today, had a travel bag with some activity books and candy, so I dropped it off today. I make sure I don't touch the items for a week, so I know they are safe by the time they get them

Debbie

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

The rolls look wonderful! And how nice to get your porch all ready for nice weather! Take care and stay safe!

yaya said...

I'm not sure about progress here as I feel I'm living the same day over and over. However, I'm working and that's good, just not at my regular hospital job and with reduced hours. Today they announced schools on line only for the rest of the year. I feel bad for my Grandson who's graduating and also my granddaughter in Portland, Ore, who is also graduating since there will be no commencement. Sad. Your rolls look very yummy and you know I love your porch! Hopefully snow is over for the year and you can enjoy sitting out there once again!

Julia said...

Your rug is looking wonderful and those Japanese milk rolls look so good. I've been wanting to make a recipe I have but never seem to get around to it. I've been spending my time outdoors in this beautiful sunshine. Your porch looks very welcoming. I don't have anything planted in the garden yet. Maybe I should get my spinach and peas in.
Stay safe and well.
Hugs, Julia

TheCrankyCrow said...

I am absolutely loving that rug of yours...and the colors you're choosing. And what a beautiful porch!! We don't have a porch to speak of...so I am always jealous of those who have ones that they can decorate and furnish. I'm not one for scallops...but bring on the peas!!! ~Robin~

TheCrankyCrow said...

PS...your rolls look fabulous! I've never heard of that kind...do share the recipe!

moosecraft said...

Oh my goodness! I'm in love with your porch! I could sit there for hours with lemonade (daytime) or coffee (evening) and a book or stitching project of choice! :-) Oh.....and one of those soft, yummy looking Japanese milk rolls!
I do feel awful for the kids missing out on school... socializing with friends and enjoying school activities are the two things I enjoyed most about school...

Donna said...

I am loving your rug....after speaking today i hope you've come up with a background color solution. Those scallops look delicious and of course you already know how I feel about your other bakingS.

Julie - My Primitive Heart said...

Hi Cathy,
Your rug is really lovely and you are making great progress!!! I feel just like you and did a post about my rug progress today, too!!
Your porch is WONDERFUL and I so envy you!!! It is really a pretty place and you sure did get it ship shape!!! I think I would be out there all the time!!!
I can't grow anything, so I admire those who can!! Hope you have an abundant harvest!!!
Poor little Sweet B!! My grands are in the same boat and I do hope they can keep up!! It is so tough for them, the teachers and the parents right now!!
Those scallops look delicious, too!!
Hope you and yours stay safe and well!!
Heart Hugs~
Julie xo

woolwoman said...

love your rug ! fun you are dyeing your black background. I am an "only" too - I still enjoy being an only child and I hope your daughter will grow into her luxury as an only child. I thought you had some snow - hope it didn't damage your fresh garden. Take care Happy Friday Mel