Sunday, April 5, 2020

Lessons I Have Learned

This is my first full week of not working and I have learned a few lessons. I miss my friends, especially my closest friend, we use to go for walks or drinks and do really fun things together weekly.  We are in touch but still not the same. She had a birthday and I couldn't treat her to dinner or give her a birthday hug. (she is a nurse working with elderly she is my hero)


The next lesson is no matter how many miles I put on these shoes it matters more what I eat. I am doing about 3 plus miles a day. But because I am baking bread etc. I am not losing but I will say I am not gaining so I guess that is something.
And speaking of baking, my baking has not been up to it's usual standards. The next lesson is keep your mind on what you are doing and shut off the news while baking. 

This is not a lesson as I knew this but I have great neighbors! This neighbor put out a little cart of books for anyone to take. Now granted we are on a little dead end road but I am sure some of the other neighbors are taking them up on their offer. I did not take any as I have a stack of books that shames me each time I walk by.

The next lesson, never put off something you wanted to do.
I wanted to plant at least 50-75 daffodil bulbs in the front yard on a hill. I planted about 25 a few years ago and it makes everything so happy when they start to bloom. But I put it off and now I do not have those plants pushing through the winter soil. 



There is joy right in my own yard! I have a forsythia bush and I took some cuttings smashed the stems and put them in warmish water to force the flowers. I have spent the day uncovering flower beds and generally cleaning the yard after winter. Blessed to have a safe place to garden and enjoy the outdoors.

Another lesson is just how blessed I am to have this hobby.
It keeps my hands and mind busy when life is closing in.
Not to mention my rug hooking buddies! We have an on going group chat that I just love. Such a blessing!


 I have a much better stash of wool than I thought! I found several piece that are wonderful that I kind of forgot about.
***
 I was so excited to get a pick up slot at the grocery store so I do not have to go in and shop, they will do that for me. It is getting scary out there and I worked very hard to get that slot they are very hard to come by. So that is my final lesson for now I can be very thankful for the smallest things. 
I am keeping a diary every night but it has to be what I am thankful for, I have lots to write, I am blessed.
***
 I hope you are all healthy and doing well with this I found if I shut the news off after a morning update I have a better day.


10 comments:

yaya said...

I'm glad you're seeing all the good there is right now instead of the bad that is being blasted over the TV and radio. I know this will be a different Easter than we're used to but we can still still make it special in our homes. Have a good week and continue to stay safe!

Rugs and Pugs said...

We must be thankful for all we have at this very scary time. You sound like you've got this!!! Thank goodness for walks, yard work and our hooking. I would go stark raving mad if I had nothing to do. I am busy as always...but sometimes start feeling anxious and depressed because of what is happening. I fear for our country, our economy. God bless Mr. Trump. I think he is doing an excellent job. I think this job is much more than he ever bargained for.
Take good care, my friend.
xoxo
Lauren

Julia said...

I like that you are learning to cope with the things that we can no longer take for granted and are focusing on the positive. Easter will be different this year but spiritually, it will still be a great one for me. I stay home and make more time to pray for the world in turmoil.
Soon, the gardens will still be in their splendor even though the reality of what has changed in our lives.
Stay safe and well.
A sanitized hug,
Julia

moosecraft said...

Yes....I check the news in the morning and again in the evening. That's enough! Hobbies are the best way to keep our minds healthy these days...though I do miss grabbing a cup of coffee on the way to a radio or quilt meeting...or even a hook-in! :-) Notice I did not mention anything about missing my job....lol! Hang in there! This too shall pass! :-)

TheCrankyCrow said...

Goes to show that we are never too late to learn.... Some heartfelt and wise lessons. I am grateful that if this plague had to come, it is good that it came now rather than on the onset or mid-winter. Now the "greening" and rebirth that spring brings adds a dimension of hope that I think would not be in winter. There are some tings that are constants, and unshakeable unlike us. Love the idea of the books. I have many I could share, but there is now absolutely no traffic by our road so it would be a wasted effort. Am thinking of listing them "to a good home"... I am fearful though that I will run out of new reads LOL. Your baking looks amazing to me!!! Hope your week is off to a good start ~Robin~

Chris Lally said...

Turning the news off after the morning update is the BEST advice! It allows us to enjoy the moment and to be thankful for things we normally do not stop to see. Thank you for such a wonderful post!

Julie - My Primitive Heart said...

Hi Cathy,
Seems we are all going through similar things and you have certainly learned a lot during this unbelievable time! Your baking looks WONDERFUL and I can almost smell those loaves!!
I am also so very thankful for all of my interests that keep me both busy and sane and help me to stay at home and stay safe!! Trusting for better times up ahead!!
Take care and stay safe and well, my friend!
Heart Hugs~
Julie xo

Donna said...

Keep that news off...it's so depressing. stay connected to us. I doubt that your baking is not up to par...always delicious. wish i lived closer to grab some of those books.
Good read my friend. Later

WoolenSails said...

I think we have had to slow down and are notiing more things around us and about our own life.
I realize it is a good year to start a new garden, but I heard the stores are out of plants, everyone is thinking the same thing.
Hopefully I can get seeds for green beans and find some plants at a back woods nursery. It is a blessing to have our crafts to do, I would go crazy if I had to sit and do nothing. Baking is not a problem, not much I can cook like that and hard to find decent food lately.

Debbie

Jean | DelightfulRepast.com said...

Cathy, I love that you are thinking about all the good things in your life. So important now. And I have to limit my news. The other day I watched, with tears rolling down my face, a few videos of doctors and nurses in New York and couldn't stop thinking about them all day. Can't do that. Hope you don't mind me including a link; something you wrote made me think you might be interested in this: https://www.delightfulrepast.com/2018/04/intermittent-fasting-168-its-not-just.html